Just placed a deposit, here is an introduction. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Just placed a deposit, here is an introduction.

Hello, I just placed a deposit for an Escape 19. My build date is March 2022 (phew!). So I guess the good news is we have plenty of time to figure out all of our options.

A little background, we spent the last dozen years traveling and camping in a three bunk hybrid with our four kids. Now with two grown and gone and another getting close, the Escape is looking like our empty nest camper for the two of us. We learned a lot about stick built campers in that dozen years and we don't want another.

We plan to camp in unimproved sites (no hookups) and I have a lot to figure out on the solar and battery side. Our tow vehicle will probably be a M-B GLE as long as I keep working for Daimler, and I'll have to buy something permanent once I retire.

When we're not traveling in an RV, we like to backcountry paddle camp, living from our canoe or kayaks on the great lakes or along rivers. Our trips tend to be a mix of travel (in an RV) and roughing it (living out of boats for 1-2 weeks).

This looks like a great community. I'll probably start making a working draft of our build options and then refine it from there. For sure I'll need help with the color palette, my wife and I both have no taste.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Jeffrey, to our little Escape world. We love to spend other peoples money so what options were you thing? Highly recommend solar and dual 6 volts and the thermal awning windows, power awning are 3 of my favorites.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome. Here is my first set of thoughts. This will probably change and one of the first things I need to do is track down one of the Detroit area ambassadors and take a look inside a 19.

The options I'm thinking about:

Foot Flush Toilet – maybe, still debating.
Toilet Shut Off Valve
Two Li-Ion batteries (200 Ah)
2x 190W solar panel with charge controller
Removable power cord
Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (Dometic 11,000 BTU) – We occasionally use the RV when visiting relatives and it’s often hot on those driveway stays.
Keyless door lock
Framed windows – except a frameless rear window. We tend to want maximum opening everywhere, so this is why we thought to change the one rear to frameless.
Window in Bathroom (frameless)
Window in Kitchen (framed)
Cabinet door at end of bench
Storage box
Springfield Marine pedestal for dinette table slider installed
Amber lens exterior lights
Two wardrobe shelves
Counter top extension by galley
Stainless steel backsplash
Spray foam insulation under floor
Aluminum alloy rims
Power tongue jack
Additional exterior access hatch. I have a second, outdoor stove and like to cook outside, so I plan to stock some utensils in this hatch to I can cook without going in and out like crazy.
Raised dinette

The non-options
No exterior shower
No TV/Cable ready. We just don’t watch TV when camping.
No stereo
No exterior propane quick connect. I’ve never found a travel grill with even heat, so I use charcoal.
No changes to the standard fridge
Standard manual awning. We use our awning to keep rain off stuff. I need an awning that can shed rain and be left deployed with safety ties.
Standard propane water heater – Don’t have power a lot of the time anyway.

Things to think about:
I saw someone adding counter top extensions on the bedroom walls. It would be nice to have a place to put stuff within reach while sleeping.
Where to place battery controller? I guess the standard location is under the dinette? This doesn’t seem optimal. Need to research.

I'm also just starting to think about if I will tow this on a straight ball or need a better system. I used an Equal-i-zer on the past RV and was not a huge fan of the hookup process, and the noise level. I work for Daimler and so I use new M-B GLE's for tow vehicles, they are rated to tow 7,200 pounds.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

You should switch your bath to framed from frameless, there have been to many broken windows with the manual awning arms hitting the open bath or rear frameless awning windows.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #5

On the 19, the bathroom is on the driver's side in the center. So it's opposite the awning. That's actually why I was thinking to go frameless for just that one (and the rear) since I could leave it open all the time.

I saw some people prefer the non-opening rear since then you get a single, large sheet of glass with no screen or anything. But if the frameless are durable I think I'd prefer than rear window to be one so I can open it.

What is the egress window like? I have not seen a detailed picture of one. That's the rear driver's side, right?
Old 10-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You should switch your bath to framed from frameless, there have been to many broken windows with the manual awning arms hitting the open bath or rear frameless awning windows.
Hi Jim, Jeffrey has ordered a 19 so unless they've moved the bathroom to the passenger side I don't think frameless in bath is a problem.

Welcome Jeffrey to the Escape world. I note you've said no cable ready. Just a thought here, if this is your retirement travel home, perhaps you'll be wanting to head south in the winters, and perhaps stay in RV parks where you'd want to watch TV since that's not really camping.

We've spent portions of three winters in the southern US and that's about the only time we watch TV, there's so many over air digital channels we've picked up, and many places will have cable as well. In the winter evenings are long.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #7

My bad, I was thinking of the E21, both of you are correct on the bath window. The egress on driver's rear side is already an awning window....
Old 10-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I'm also just starting to think about if I will tow this on a straight ball or need a better system. I used an Equal-i-zer on the past RV and was not a huge fan of the hookup process, and the noise level. I work for Daimler and so I use new M-B GLE's for tow vehicles, they are rated to tow 7,200 pounds.
I don't have my Escape yet either (wow 2022 that's a long wait!), so I'll let others speak to exactly what hookup they'd recommend specific to your 19, but I'd just like to chime in on the "noise level" complaint for WDH's in general: if you keep them nicely lubed, you will not get that noise (assuming they are also adjusted properly). I put lithium grease on the contact points for the bars (the little shelves), and on the hitch where the thingies that hold the bars move back and forth across the metal. Problem solved!
Old 10-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
I don't have my Escape yet either (wow 2022 that's a long wait!)

If I could find all the people with 2021 deposits, I could start bribing people to back out and then move up.

Liberal grease on the Equil-i-zer did shut it up. But then the greasy bars were not fun to have around. Plus the system uses bar friction for sway control, so the more you grease it the less sway control you get.

I have quite a while to think about that. My previous trailer had a dry weight of about 3750, so probably not too different from the Escape really. It probably would have been OK on just a ball, but I like things a bit more secure.

I'm also really re-thinking the insulation. It looks like it buries all mechanicals underneath the trailer so that any future repairs or projects will be quite difficult.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
If I could find all the people with 2021 deposits, I could start bribing people to back out and then move up.

Liberal grease on the Equil-i-zer did shut it up. But then the greasy bars were not fun to have around. Plus the system uses bar friction for sway control, so the more you grease it the less sway control you get.

I have quite a while to think about that. My previous trailer had a dry weight of about 3750, so probably not too different from the Escape really. It probably would have been OK on just a ball, but I like things a bit more secure.

I'm also really re-thinking the insulation. It looks like it buries all mechanicals underneath the trailer so that any future repairs or projects will be quite difficult.
Yeah, I do hate the greasy bar problem...I keep shop towels nearby and wipe them down every time, but still. I'll be eager to see what you settle on, because I'd love a better option than these WDH's...
Old 10-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 17B
Quote:
I also have a 2022 delivery. On their website, ETI says they've moved 60 people with 2021 slots to earlier dates. So I'm thinking that's opened up 60 places for those of us with 2022 dates. Keeping my fingers crossed for a message from ETI ...
jediwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwhale View Post
I also have a 2022 delivery. On their website, ETI says they've moved 60 people with 2021 slots to earlier dates. So I'm thinking that's opened up 60 places for those of us with 2022 dates. Keeping my fingers crossed for a message from ETI ...
A little offering from here with your name may work miracles.......
https://www.purdys.com/shops/details...dysChocolatier
Old 10-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A little offering from here with your name may work miracles.......
https://www.purdys.com/shops/details...dysChocolatier

I know you think the chocolates got you special service Jim, but I know many of us were treated special by Tammy and Reace.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I know you think the chocolates got you special service Jim, but I know many of us were treated special by Tammy and Reace.
I never doubted the locals were not well known, but Tammy loved getting my baskets...from afar......
Old 10-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #15

Actually I think it was my repeat Escape purchases as well as dozens of referrals that helped with them remembering my name.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Definitely worth rethinking especially in light of the current gray tank plumbing issues.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:08 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The most important option. Outdoor Shower. I have never actually used it to shower, I have used it to do the dishes, pre rinse pots and pans if I'm doing dishes inside, rinse feet, rinse the trailer windows after a long dirt road, rinse rain boots or other footwear, and of course, spray my kids.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
The most important option. Outdoor Shower. I have never actually used it to shower, I have used it to do the dishes, pre rinse pots and pans if I'm doing dishes inside, rinse feet, rinse the trailer windows after a long dirt road, rinse rain boots or other footwear, and of course, spray my kids.
This is why we got one one street side and one on the curbside, indispensable when needed.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Especially considering the smaller gray tanks on these trailers, outside showers can help keep a lot of water out of them!
Old 10-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
On the 19, the bathroom is on the driver's side in the center. So it's opposite the awning. That's actually why I was thinking to go frameless for just that one (and the rear) since I could leave it open all the time.

I saw some people prefer the non-opening rear since then you get a single, large sheet of glass with no screen or anything. But if the frameless are durable I think I'd prefer than rear window to be one so I can open it.

What is the egress window like? I have not seen a detailed picture of one. That's the rear driver's side, right?
I would go with frameless all around, including the bathroom and kitchen. I have a 2018 19, which was built right at the height of the problems with these windows. I think the models since then have a newer, better version, but even if they don't, I have had 0 problems with mine, including the smaller kitchen and bathroom windows. The trick is not to over tighten them.

I absolutely love the rear window because of the capability to open one side or the other, or both at the same time. One of my joys of camping is to back up to a river or stream and go to sleep listening to the water. These windows enhance that experience. I also really like the look.

The egress window is indeed located on the driver's side. It opens much wider than any of the other windows and allows for plenty of air flow.

As for the spray-on insulation on the bottom, I have that option and so far do not regret it. I camped in late September where it got well below freezing at night, and I was darn glad to have it. I spent upwards of 40 nights in my trailer last summer and believe it helps maintain the temperature you want, whether cool or warm. I also think it protects the underside from rocks and whatnot while underway. It is uglier than heck, however, and if I ever have a problem with something I can't access because of the foam, I might not be happy about it. But so far I am.

You'll hear plenty of opinions to the contrary about that one though!

Best of luck with your build!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote