just sent in our deposit on a 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
just sent in our deposit on a 17B

I've just started reading some of the posts on this site, what a great resource ! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

We live near Ottawa ON and will be driving to BC to pick up our trailer in July. We are still working through the build sheet. This will be our first RV trailer but are not unfamiliar with towing.
We have towed a 5500 lb 26' boat to Florida and back a few times.
Our tow vehicle is Silverado pickup, 4x4, 5.3 lt V8, with the trailer towing package and cap over the box. We have a Honda EU2000 generator.

We are sailors and so we are experienced in saving water, handy with 12V modifications, solar systems etc. We have lived off grid for months at a time in the Bahamas.

At this point we are ordering the 17B, with maple interior, two way hot water tank, double bed, 4 cu ft fridge, microwave, furnace, extra insulation & framed windows package, a bathroom window, outside shower, air conditioning, rear storage access, front storage box, TV antenna + 12V power point, TV wall mount, two 6V battery option, custom fabric and vinyl flooring, additional high mount taillights.

We intend to use a Husky Hitch for sway and load distribution. A Curtis brake controller.

Looking forward to a summer tour of the west coast and a fun drive home.

Bob & Sherry
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Under control.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Sounds great, Bob! Your sailing background will translate well to the RV world. Congrats! [emoji322]
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would suggest you call ETI and ask if you need anything but a ball to tow a 17b with a full size truck.
That is what I did and was told that I did not need one for my 19...and they were correct.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
You are living the life, Bob and Sherry!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I would suggest you call ETI and ask if you need anything but a ball to tow a 17b with a full size truck.
That is what I did and was told that I did not need one for my 19...and they were correct.
I'm sure you are correct, the truck weighs almost 6000 lbs.
The sailboats I've towed were just on the ball because they use a hydraulic surge brake not many hitches will work with those as the trailer tongue is telescopic.

The truck handled it fine. I was more interested in the sway control built into the hitch if I needed to make a fast move. (With the sailboats there were no fast moves .)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03722.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	36861

Bob
Old 02-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

I tow my 17B with a Toyota RAV4 with Pro Series weight distribution hitch without the sway control option. Works well, even with sudden lane changes.

If I had your truck, I'd do without the WDH and the aggravation of dragging it out to the vehicle and hooking up.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #8

Thanks for the information, I'll save $500 and start off with just a ball !

I'll need to drop the ball down to match the height of the tongue of the 19B. Can anyone tell me the height of the top of the hitch on a 19B when the trailer is level ?
I'll set my ball about an 1" higher than that so it should travel level once everything is loaded.

One additional question.....when towing a boat I found it best to keep it slightly bow down. Otherwise the wind gust from a passing truck would get under the hull and lift the weight off the ball. You could actually hear the clunk and then feel a little wiggle because there was no tongue weight. I had a tongue weight of about 650 lbs.
When adjusted to be bow down a bit the wind applied force to the foredeck and increased the tongue weight so no wiggle and no pucker ....do you adjust your trailer level or slightly lower in the front ?

thanks, Bob
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #9

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
Thanks for the information, I'll save $500 and start off with just a ball !

I'll need to drop the ball down to match the height of the tongue of the 19B. Can anyone tell me the height of the top of the hitch on a 19B when the trailer is level ?
I'll set my ball about an 1" higher than that so it should travel level once everything is loaded.

One additional question.....when towing a boat I found it best to keep it slightly bow down. Otherwise the wind gust from a passing truck would get under the hull and lift the weight off the ball. You could actually hear the clunk and then feel a little wiggle because there was no tongue weight. I had a tongue weight of about 650 lbs.
When adjusted to be bow down a bit the wind applied force to the foredeck and increased the tongue weight so no wiggle and no pucker ....do you adjust your trailer level or slightly lower in the front ?

thanks, Bob
From the Owners Manual, Page 15

“Note that the trailer must be relatively level front to back. Tilt in either direction must be kept to an absolute minimum. Having the front lower than the rear reduces towing stability on tandem axle trailers.”
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
From the Owners Manual, Page 15

“Note that the trailer must be relatively level front to back. Tilt in either direction must be kept to an absolute minimum. Having the front lower than the rear reduces towing stability on tandem axle trailers.”
I think that's good advice with tandem trailers using independent suspension. With the boat trailers they used leaf springs with a "balancing link" connecting the front and rear springs. That way going over say a speed bump the front axle does not have to support the entire weight of the trailer.

In the case of our 17B being a single axle trailer I don't think stability would be effected by being slightly down in the bow .

thanks, Bob
Old 02-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #11

Trailer: ?
Quote:
I think that's good advice with tandem trailers using independent suspension. With the boat trailers they used leaf springs with a "balancing link" connecting the front and rear springs. That way going over say a speed bump the front axle does not have to support the entire weight of the trailer.

In the case of our 19B being a single axle trailer I don't think stability would be effected by being slightly down in the bow .

thanks, Bob

“In the case of our 19B being a single axle trailer I don't think stability would be effected by being slightly down in the bow .“

I think all 19’ models are dual axle trailers.
Is your new trailer a 17’ or 19’ model?

Either way, ETI recommends towing level.

Level Towing
Having the tow vehicle and recreational vehicle level with each other will help improve tow-ability as well as safe driving. A hitch that is too low can cause the front of the trailer to drag. A hitch that is too high can cause the rear of the trailer to hit those high spots in the road.

To each his own.

Enjoy your new Escape.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #12

I'm sorry for the confusion, my bad, its a 17B I've ordered. I'll try to read my posts more carefully before hitting the "submit reply" button.

I suspect the boats were more susceptible to the wind from 18 wheelers because of the hull shape. I was just asking if anyone noticed this effect with the 17B.

I'd still like to know the height of the tongue on a 17B when it is sitting level so I can see if I need to buy a new draw bar to drop the ball to match the trailer.

thanks, Bob
Old 02-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
A quick email to ETI will get you the ball height they will want to see when they hook up your trailer.
Just to put you at ease in regards to sway. We towed a stick trailer the same dry weight and within 1 inch in length of the 19 across Canada. With the stick trailer we noticed a bit of trailer sway everytime an oncoming semi past...not so now with the Escape 19 just using a ball.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
A quick email to ETI will get you the ball height they will want to see when they hook up your trailer.
Just to put you at ease in regards to sway. We towed a stick trailer the same dry weight and within 1 inch in length of the 19 across Canada. With the stick trailer we noticed a bit of trailer sway everytime an oncoming semi past...not so now with the Escape 19 just using a ball.
Good information, thanks for the reply. I'm feeling better. I'll plan on using just the ball.
I did ask ETI what the hitch height is on the 17B but didn't receive an answer. There were a few questions asked so it was probably just overlooked. Now that we have made a deposit on one I'm sure we will find out what this number is !
I'll ask again.

I worked in a physics lab for 35 yrs so I apologize if I'm too analytical on some of these points. I've never even seen an Escape trailer of any size, so you folks here are the experts. I'm just trying to transfer the experience I have towing sailboats to this new area. I'm the grasshopper .

Bob
Old 02-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I've never even seen an Escape trailer of any size, so you folks here are the experts. I'm just trying to transfer the experience I have towing sailboats to this new area.
Buying a new Escape is a large investment without seeing one. I know several have done it, but they usually are coming from other (typically smaller) fiberglass trailers so they have perspective. Might I suggest you either visit ETI or ask for nearby owners that you can visit. You wouldn't be the first to put a deposit on a 17 and then change.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #16

There are several places within a kilometre of Escape where you can buy drawbars etc. Not certain about drawbars, but ETI's expanded showroom sells lots of accessories now.
If you could view a 17 and a 19, that would be excellent. There was no 19 when I bought my 17B. I'd likely get a 19 now, if it didn't mean having to buy a new tow vehicle.
I like the 19 for the wider aisle and for the four person dinette at the front and full time bed. The two person dinette in the 17B is a little cramped.
Attached Thumbnails
Charly.jpg  
Old 02-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #17

thanks for the advice. I know it seems kind of strange. We have been in a Casita, our friends have one. We were thinking about ordering a Casita when we saw the Escape trailers. We didn't find the Casita too small. Any Escapes around here right now are under 4' of snow. We aren't concerned with the size but have wondered if we are choosing the right options.

As far as the small size goes we are sailors, used to fitting into small spaces and getting along. We have lived for weeks on boats we could stand not up in. With a blow coming through we were stuck "down below" for a days at a time. All the cooking, dish washing etc was done on our knees. So looking at a 17' Escape that we can stand up in, go outside for a walk anytime, sit in a lawn chair, drive to a store for provisions etc. we are thinking this trailer is very livable for us.

We have also had bigger boats with ice makers, 10Kw diesel generators etc. The bigger they are the bigger the headaches. We enjoyed them all big or small. The "boat like" construction of these eggs was a big attraction for us. Our friends are saying "so you bought another boat".

Another consideration is that the 17B will fit right in our back yard so we don't need to store it. I enjoyed working on the boats as much as sailing them. Having the little trailer in my yard is a big advantage to me. I don't need to be camping to be enjoying time with the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing the Bahamas Banks.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	36879

Bob
Old 02-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #18

I think you have it all well thought out. And, you won't have to worry about spilling your beer when you change tack.

Enjoy.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
thanks for the advice. I know it seems kind of strange. We have been in a Casita, our friends have one. We were thinking about ordering a Casita when we saw the Escape trailers. We didn't find the Casita too small. Any Escapes around here right now are under 4' of snow. We aren't concerned with the size but have wondered if we are choosing the right options.

As far as the small size goes we are sailors, used to fitting into small spaces and getting along. We have lived for weeks on boats we could stand not up in. With a blow coming through we were stuck "down below" for a days at a time. All the cooking, dish washing etc was done on our knees. So looking at a 17' Escape that we can stand up in, go outside for a walk anytime, sit in a lawn chair, drive to a store for provisions etc. we are thinking this trailer is very livable for us.

We have also had bigger boats with ice makers, 10Kw diesel generators etc. The bigger they are the bigger the headaches. We enjoyed them all big or small. The "boat like" construction of these eggs was a big attraction for us. Our friends are saying "so you bought another boat".

Another consideration is that the 17B will fit right in our back yard so we don't need to store it. I enjoyed working on the boats as much as sailing them. Having the little trailer in my yard is a big advantage to me. I don't need to be camping to be enjoying time with the trailer.

Attachment 36879

Bob
Enough said. You definitely have perspective. Enjoy your trailer.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Tammy wrote the following to me in an email in 2017 regarding our 17b:

"The ball height is 18”. This means the trailer will ride level when the top of the ball measures 18” from the ground with the trailer loaded."

So, 19" unloaded is about right, assuming nothing else has changed.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote