Leap of Faith - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: johnwarrensimpson... Welcome to a long days journey into night!!! We love to travel via our "Escape Hatch II". We also like to find dark places along the great lakes shores to become "Stargeezers". No telescopes just naked eyes to graze the horizons with. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Looking forward to our paths crossing. I will be spending a lot of time in the West.
https://daysofnights.org
johnwarrensimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #42
J&G

Trailer: Escape 19
We sent our check Express Mail ( cost $41). It had a guaranteed delivery date, but it didn't get to ETI on the date. I called Express Mail, and they said they would look into it. The check did arrive at ETI two days late, and I threw away the Express Mail receipt figuring I didn't need it anymore. Yesterday, I got a letter from Express Mail saying they aren't sure why they missed the arrival date but that I should staple the receipt to the enclosed form and they would refund my $41. Sigh.
J&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #43

Build Sheet signed

I have officially signed off on my build sheet for a 19 completion date May 10. Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions. We'll see where this goes. I have tried to make selections based on the lifestyle I am anticipating. Pretty basic. I am giving myself plenty of time to get used to trailer living and to make any necessary adaptations before my nomadic adventure really begins. It's exciting and a bit scary at the same time. A lot of information to process and adjustments to make. It's a big responsibility, but also a terrific opportunity. See you all in Osoyoos in May!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&G View Post
We sent our check Express Mail ( cost $41). It had a guaranteed delivery date, but it didn't get to ETI on the date. I called Express Mail, and they said they would look into it. The check did arrive at ETI two days late, and I threw away the Express Mail receipt figuring I didn't need it anymore. Yesterday, I got a letter from Express Mail saying they aren't sure why they missed the arrival date but that I should staple the receipt to the enclosed form and they would refund my $41. Sigh.
You can go back and ask for another copy of the receipt possibly? You can show ID.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Congrats John!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Since this post is about sending things to Canada, has anyone mailed fabric? Everything I've read says postal service is best. Also, do you pay import tax even though it's going into a trailer coming back to states?
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:08 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwarrensimpson View Post
I am on my way!

Conga-Rats! You will be very happy with your little white trailer!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:43 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&G View Post
Don't feel bad. My final payment was sent via registered mail to ETI and it ended up in Yokohama, Japan, where it was delayed for two weeks plus. When I called USPS International Tracking and was on hold for 35 minutes, at least six times the recorded loop informed me that with registered mail, the USPS knew the exact location of each parcel from the moment of receipt until the moment of delivery..........yea, right! When I finally got to speak with a representative, she told me it could take up to 21 days to track and find it. Fortunately, someone in Japan sent it back to Canada.
Let's give the USPS a big pat on the back for its superb efficiency. I guess all those postage stamp increases over the years have greatly improved the service provided. Don't take me wrong, however. I am aware that most USPS employees are self conscious and hard working; the USPS is just a good example of typical government bureaucracy in action.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
By far my favoured shipping from the US is the USPS/Canad Post combination, that is if shipping is offered at all. I have always got good service despite not having tracking much of the time, and the brokerage fees are a flat rate $10, whereas UPS, FedEx and the like are a major ripoff, often charging nearly as much as the item cost in the first place. Shipping USPS has saved me a few thousand dollars over the years.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Since this post is about sending things to Canada, has anyone mailed fabric? Everything I've read says postal service is best. Also, do you pay import tax even though it's going into a trailer coming back to states?

Hi Ginger,

While we were at the Niagara Falls Rally last year, we drove to:

JT's Outdoor Fabrics Inc.
106 Saunders Road,
Unit-5
Barrie, ON L4N 9A8

1-877-780-2722
jtsoutdoorfabrics.com

We found the fabric we were going to order by mail in their books and they shipped it across Canada for free. It only took a few days to arrive.

Dora says she dealt with Andy and he was very nice. The only reason we drove to the place was because we discovered we were only 2 hours from the location, so we made it a day trip.

It was a great experience. No shipping. No customs holdup.

Ask for Andy for assistance. Then, Cheryl does the ordering.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #51

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
By far my favoured shipping from the US is the USPS/Canad Post combination, that is if shipping is offered at all. I have always got good service despite not having tracking much of the time, and the brokerage fees are a flat rate $10, whereas UPS, FedEx and the like are a major ripoff, often charging nearly as much as the item cost in the first place. Shipping USPS has saved me a few thousand dollars over the years.
This is my experience too. I do however avoid 'Registered Mail' whenever I can. It takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r..... I have a vision of my mailing sitting in the 'Registered Mail' bin, and employee after employee walking past it and muttering, "I'm not registering that mail, not MY job man". Stuff sits 2-3 days at one location before someone has the gumption or is ordered to handle it and send it along its wayward route........

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:33 AM   #52

This has been a truly eventful week. Two very important goals have been accomplished. On Tuesday I made my last payment on the 19. Even in the process of this last transaction the exchange rate increased a penny. I am fortunate to have benefited over the last year in this regard. I just wanted my little home on wheels, not to be a student of international finance. Thanks to all who made these dealings as easy as it could be under the circumstances. I found that just getting a cashier's check at my credit union in USD and FedEx International Priority was the simplest and most efficient method. The banks are going to knock 3 cents off the prime rate either way. This whole last transaction took less than than 24 hours.
On Friday I took possession of my tow vehicle. It is a 2000 Toyota Tundra 4.7 V8 4WD with factory towing package. This deal was one of those special interactions between two human beings that reminds me so much of the deal I made on my first Toyota pickup 7 years ago. These personal connections go a long way.
Attached Thumbnails
17.04.07.a.jpg  
Old 04-08-2017, 06:09 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
John,
I think you will feel the same about Tammy and Reace et al at Escape...
Old 04-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I hope your Tundra is as reliable for you as ours has been. It is a 2005 Access Cab SR5 and easily tows our Escape 21. We even load our truck to the max with a boat and gear and it still handles the trailer okay. We have it from many sources that these older Tundras go 300,000 miles with only routine servicing. We replaced a radiator two years ago, but other than that only routine servicing. And with your Escape you have a winning combo!
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #55

I have already met them A year ago I made a special trip up to Chilliwack. And Sarah handled my deposit. And all the people I have communicated via e-mails. They all have been especially outstanding.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #56

I am absolutely confident that I have made good decisions for both pieces of equipment. I can't wait for them to meet each other!
Old 04-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #57

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwarrensimpson View Post
I am absolutely confident that I have made good decisions for both pieces of equipment. I can't wait for them to meet each other!
Funny that you say that! I just spent 7 hours today cleaning up my TV, thinking it needed to be very pretty when it meets "Mutt Hut" on Weds when I pick iher up in Chilliwack. 😁😳
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #58

The Leap of Faith has now become a reality. I feel so right about the decisions I have made. I picked up my trailer in Sumas on May 25, and spent two days at the rally in Osoyoos. I drove back to Salt Lake City in three days, and have been residing in the KOA trailer park here since June 1. I am still working full time at the University Hospital, and will be until August 1. I am already enjoying the new lifestyle, and can't wait to be out on my own. I can say at this point how much I appreciate the thought and consideration Reace and Tammy and everyone at ETI have put into making this product. I have not encountered one instance of "What were they thinking?" or "This is a piece of crap!" Throughout this is an intelligent design with top-quality craftsmanship. I feel very confident going forward. There is so much to learn. I have to do my part in embracing the new level of knowledge and responsibility.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Great trailer, great company, and a new lifestyle to boot. Don't get much better than that. Congrats John!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #60

Thank You

I recently received a nice "Thank You" card from Reace and Tammy and all the people at ETI for the purchase of my new Escape 19. I would like to say "Thank You!" back for all the thought and effort they all have put in to producing such a fine product. I especially want to commend VERENA for her excellent presentation at my orientation. I was coming in after 8 hours on the road and I didn't feel much was sinking in. But as go through all the procedures and run through the systems I can hear her instructions coming forward. Good job!
I am getting adjusted in a trailer park in Salt Lake City while I am still working full time. But in another month I will be out on my own. I don't think I could have made a better choice. Took a couple of days last week to experience life without hookups out on the Pony Express Trail. I like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Pony Express Station.jpg