Looking at Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Looking at Escape 19

Hi all, just joined the forum, we are looking at an Escape 19 to be towed by a Jeep Gladiator. Had a 17’ Casita in 2007, moved to a 26’ Jayco in 2012 (actually 29 to hitch), now looking to downsize. We are downsizing for a couple reasons, we were so nimble in our Casita and miss it, plus we turned over our Tundra to our son, the Gladiator just isn’t a match for the Jayco.

Really like the Escape 19, keeping it light with an extra 2 feet would be perfect for us. Plus, never did like all the rivets involved in the Casita build, started having to do some maintenance on those just before moving to the Jayco…

Not sure about that 2-year backlog tho. Will be watching the forum classifieds for sure.... Hi again, great job you all have done on the forum, appreciate the support...
bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:59 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Looking at the specs for the Gladiator it shows a tow capacity of 4000-4500. The Trailer Weights in the Real World spreadsheet shows a couple 2nd gen 19's weighing in at 4400 lbs. You're cutting it pretty close.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

We have a Sport S with Max Tow Package which includes Dana 44 Wide Front/Rear Axle, 4.10 axle ratio, heavy duty cooling, etc which puts it at 7,600 lb tow rating. I've pulled my Jayco locally (5,000 lbs unloaded 6,950 GVWR) with a WDH of course, wouldn't want to do it long distance and/or any steep grades, etc..
Old 10-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
My friends decided on a 19 after considering a Casita and were lucky enough to come across a late-model used one before putting a deposit down on a new one. While they did save several thousand $$ buying the used one, they did not get all the options they wanted. It's sort of a balance between cost savings and getting exactly what you want. Most used Escapes don't depreciate all that much.

The current long wait for a new one, however, is definitely a drawback.

That said, I think your choice of a 19 is a good one! Everyone here has their own preference though, and for reasons that work for them. For me, the 19 is the sweet spot between size and towability. I can get it turned around in some pretty tight spots, even with a crew cab pickup.

I just returned from a 12-day camping trip during which I was camped amidst multiple huge 5th wheels, all of which were towed by 1-ton dually pickups. At first these people were amazed at how small my Escape was. Then after seeing the inside, learning about features such as the solar panel, and asking me about how well my mid-size pickup towed it and what mpg I got while towing, they became envious. Well, what could I say...

Whatever you decide, it will be worth it!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We had an Escape 17B, great trailer, just needed a little more, like a permanent bed. We looked for a year for a used unit. Unfortunately, there aren't many in Eastern Canada and it didn't make sense (currency exchange) to bring one up from the States. We ended up ordering new. You being in Texas will have more luck finding a used unit, just have the cash and a bag packed. RV's of all brands are selling fast right now.

We're very happy with the new trailer, and welcome to the forum.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses.. I would like to buy new or as close to it as possible, few extra K for a new trailer with my specific option is worth it to me. Wife is pushing for a TAB 400, not sure how long I can holder her off, Casita has about the same backlog. I know the Escape is the way to go in the long run…

I’m thinking as soon as we get through these unusual times, that they start ramping up orders and deliveries, but respect Escape for not taking advantage of the times and limiting expectations.

Need to do a bit closer research, but from skimming available info, it sounds like Escape requires the entire deposit upon placing your order, but is refundable except for $150-200 to cover deposit fees. That is refundable, If you cancel prior to finalizing your build (e.g. 3-6 months before delivery) which sounds reasonable. If so, I may go ahead and initiate an order, and let the cards play out….
Old 10-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster View Post
Wife is pushing for a TAB 400, not sure how long I can holder her off,
Has she been in both a TAB and an Escape? The internal space is radically different. That teardrop shape may have esthetic appeal but it costs big time from a comfort and usability point of view.

Two things jump out. The Escape has overhead storage bins at the rear and feels open and airy. The TAB loses all that. Also, the angled dinette doesn't appear nearly as functional as the 19 where it's a pretty comfortable place to lounge.

Good luck

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster View Post
Not sure about that 2-year backlog tho.
2 years? When did that happen. You can’t get a new Escape until October 2022?
Old 10-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
2 years? When did that happen. You can’t get a new Escape until October 2022?
Let's say sometime in 2022... Haven't contacted them about a slot yet, but web site says "2022 is now open for deposits. You have the first pick on completion dates! Pricing for 2022 trailers to be released Summer 2021."... We'll say 1.2 - 2 years.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Has she been in both a TAB and an Escape? The internal space is radically different. That teardrop shape may have esthetic appeal but it costs big time from a comfort and usability point of view.

Two things jump out. The Escape has overhead storage bins at the rear and feels open and airy. The TAB loses all that. Also, the angled dinette doesn't appear nearly as functional as the 19 where it's a pretty comfortable place to lounge.

Good luck

Ron
I agree on the TAB, think she will have second thoughts once in it... I would push her towards the Geo-pro before I would settle on a TAB. But, with the Geo-pro (19fbs), I'd be back to a stick trailer and the front-end has more surface area (e.g. wind drag, I would think). Really think the Escape 19 is the way to go for us... thanks for the luck!!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 17B
I suggest you place an order for 2022 delivery. You can get wait-listed for a 2021 delivery and so maybe you'll get lucky. In the meantime, keep looking for a used Escape. If you get one, you can use it until your new one is built and then sell the used one.
jediwhale is offline   Reply With Quote