Looking to be a 21 ft owner - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph & Paulette View Post
Our Casita has a heat strip built into the A/C that we normally use when we're on electric hookups. Do the Escape A/C units have one? Didn't even think to look when we were out at ETI in May.
Ralph, the heat strip in the A/C was listed before as an option, but I notice it's no longer there. That might mean it's no longer offered, but you could always call Escape and ask.

Personally, I think a small space/cube heater would be a better option because it provides a good amount of heat and uses little power.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #42

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Brian, that's what I have in mind, accept the standard wet battery that I assume is fully isolated from the cabin under the seat and plan my electrical design which will replace that factory battery as i will need a lot more due to my electrical requirements.

Yes even an AGM does need venting should it overcharge and out-gas, although not too likely. I have used gel types indoors in the past with gel specific charger and they were vented to the outside, just in case.

Santiago
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While the standard Atwood is a very effective choice for a direct-discharge configuration, a ducted setup would have advantages. For that, there are options which wouldn't make sense as standard (or even optional) equipment but would have advantages, such as the Propex:
Any ducted installation is potentially better for noise than a direct-vent setup. As previously discussed, typical RV furnaces (including the Atwood used by Escape) are not efficient. With 2.8 kW of output from 3.0 kW (for the 2800 model), the Propex claims 93% efficiency (versus 76% for the Atwood).

I agree that for most people it is not a good alternative, so it makes sense that Escape would not offer it. It would not be reasonable to expect Escape to accommodate someone else's design. On the other hand, simply leaving out parts to allow an owner to install what suits that owner doesn't seem unreasonable.

There are production RVs which offer compressor-type refrigerators as standard equipment - including at least one Trillium-style (like the Escape body design) moulded fiberglass trailer - so for their customers this is apparently not an unreasonable choice.
ETI will leave out non-wanted items. We chose to go with a custom mattress and were credited $150 for not using theirs.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
ETI will leave out non-wanted items. We chose to go with a custom mattress and were credited $150 for not using theirs.
True Charlie, they will leave it out. But, in the case of the fridge, it's not clear that you'd be credited for not getting it. I recall a thread some time back that discussed it but I can't find it now. There was also something about ETI can't plumb a gas line to there unless it's connected to the fridge, because it would be a deviance from their approved (regulations) design. Of course, if you were going to put a compressor fridge there, you wouldn't need the gas line anyway.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not sure ETI can sell a trailer without heat nor refrigeration. I believe there are some Canadian as well as US regulations for a standard RV. RVIA and it's Canadian equivalent. But what you can do after ownership is limitless.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not sure ETI can sell a trailer without heat nor refrigeration. I believe there are some Canadian as well as US regulations for a standard RV. RVIA and it's Canadian equivalent.
That would be CSA, formerly known as the Canadian Standards Association. Of course Escape follows all applicable CSA requirements, and CSA standards would cover how heating and refrigeration systems are installed, but it's hard to imagine that they (particularly heat) would be required. Lots of small recreational trailers (especially tent trailers and "teardrops") don't have a furnace or other heater, and most early moulded fiberglass travel trailers didn't have a refrigerator (they just had a cooler).

This brochure from the Manitoba government describes typical regulatory requirements for RVs, referring to the relevant CSA standard: Recreational Vehicles; Life Safety Requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But what you can do after ownership is limitless.
I agree. Even if this is not strictly true from a legal standpoint, as long as you take responsibility for handling hazards (such as electrical power, propane, and vehicle stability) safely, there is nothing stopping you from doing what works for you.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
I asked ETI if they would install a Novacool DC refer. No they would not….but they will build the cabinet opening to your spec and not install their refrigerator, also no gas line will be run, not sure about electric. No credit will be given and there is a charge for the custom cabinet. This was a recent disscusion with Chrystal, as my build sheet was signed Last week.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #48

So you end up paying for 2 refrigerators if you do not want the factory one, getting $$$.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #49

You get to keep the Dometic and could probably sell it as a new unit ??
Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #50

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Craig, your account of the refrigerator swap is very very disappointing to hear.

It's unbelievable that I could be expected to pay for something I am not taking. I understand the additional charge for cabinetry modification, etc but to pay for an expensive device that stays in their warehouse and all related parts associated plus no related installation labor ? Kinda leaves a different impression of the operation in my mind.

We are willing to add many other options that will more than make up for not taking the standard factory refrigerator and ETI is welcome to sell us the Nova Kool, even if we install it when we get home but to not give credit for stuff we don't want ? Makes one wonder.

Thank you for the heads up.

Santiago
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #51

Well if I can take the standard Dometic boxed new, yes I would sell it when I get home.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My recollection is that Hotfishtacos finally sold his Dometic for $200. He had it up for sale here and on FGRV.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
His was a used 4.3, or maybe 5.0.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #54

Santiago,
Yes, it was disappointing. If a novacool install was an option I would have done that. But now I'll keep the installed original Dometic and maybe later consider a Novacool swap. I did not plead a case and maybe Reese could be persuaded in the future

I did learn that Escape is producing a trailer a day, and once out of the mold it's 11 days to complete with 15 or so inthe production line at any given time.
I asked Reese if he could run A pair of #6 wire for the "solar pre wire" option. He very kindly said that thick of wire to work with would slow his installers down too much, so no.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #55

Try ordering an Airstream and asking for a different air conditioner, they only sell you the one they install, if you want a different one, you will have to have the dealer swap it out at your cost and no trade in for the unused one.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #56
Site Team

Santiago, they will provide the fridge for you, since you're paying for it anyway. You would of course have to have a lot of cargo space to haul it away - as the box is BIG. Since it's a fully warrantied and new fridge, you could EBay or Craigslist it for well over $1000 no problem.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
His was a used 4.3, or maybe 5.0.
Rossue our famous 4.3. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #58

Hi Jim, yes the big boys have those policies and need to due to their size and business/manufacturing structure, although if they really wanted to they could be a little flexible. I know from my inquiry long long ago with Casita they are probably worse. That's what drove me to Scamp long ago when I decided to try molded fiberglass.

Aside from a great trailer ETI designed and manufactures, one of their great appeals was customization and customer service. It's inevitable that would change to some degree as they grow. I am willing to accept that reality and keeping my eye on the ball on this purchase as I think I am buying a very good shell, floor plan and reasonably good quality.

Santiago
Old 08-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #59

Reace is very careful about trailer weight and tongue weight and towing issues. Anything that may impact the trailer's performance or structural effectiveness is carefully looked at.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #60

No worries here Jim, the two refrigerators have similar weights and share same location.