Looking to be a 21 ft owner - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
I asked ETI if they would install a Novacool DC refer. No they would not….but they will build the cabinet opening to your spec and not install their refrigerator, also no gas line will be run, not sure about electric.
I can understand not wanting to leave an extra propane line, but the electrical circuits are a little different. The AC power is just an outlet; there should be no problem installing that with nothing plugged into it. The DC power circuit would need to be left as capped-off wires, and Escape offers this for cabinets as extra "drops" for owner-added lighting; I see no reason that the refrigerator cabinet would be different. A compressor-type refrigerator would use less DC power than the stock absorption-cycle refrigerator, so there wouldn't be any need to ask for heavier (or in any other way special) wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
It's unbelievable that I could be expected to pay for something I am not taking. I understand the additional charge for cabinetry modification, etc but to pay for an expensive device that stays in their warehouse and all related parts associated plus no related installation labor ? Kinda leaves a different impression of the operation in my mind.
Try getting any vehicle manufacturer to leave any stock part off the vehicle for a credit - good luck with that. Some - but certainly not all - pickup trucks have a "box delete" option, and that's about it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What I was referring to towing it home without a refrigerator since your new one would be installed at home I assume.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
During our build a year ago the RML8555 issue was hot(no pun intended) and I called some RV shops in the Seattle area to check out alternatives to the Dometic, but still absorbtion. If I was really wanting to do a compressor unit I would check with some of those people and maybe try to work a deal out with them doing the install(maybe a trade-in) then heading out from there. Have ETI not unpack the new one and just tote it down there in the back of the truck which Santiago will have. Just a thought.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I think ETI more than goes out of their way to accommodate their customers but they also have to keep things in perspective and keep the assembly line moving. They are now a year out on their trailers and people will look elsewhere if this gap widens to much more. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #65
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm following an 8 page thread on the CasitaForum. Larry Gamble (Little House Customs) has started it. Larry works and works and works until he figures out a solution to a problem. Should be interesting to read along: Make the fridge run better
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #66

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
I have another question. The two tongue mounted LP tanks with cover. I see on photos they are mounted away from the trailer wall and close to the hitch hardware. Why the big gap between it and the wall ? In case one orders a box ? What if you don't want a box, do the tanks stay where I see in the photos ?

Also if no box, I would think moving the tanks back would help some with hitch weight, some I would think.

Lastly, how much extra tongue weight would the box add ? Then there is weight of contents that would vary according to use.

Santiago
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #67
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The box weighs maybe 50 lbs with a load warning of 100 lbs. Everybody I know who has one absolutely loves a place to put their hookup gear (water hose, chocks, jack cranks, electrical, outdoor mats) and it has built in drains.

Wouldn't help much at all on tongue weight, on a percentage basis. I think if you don't order the box the tanks are moved back to the shell, which makes for an expensive retrofit if you change your mind as the mounts have to be cut off and relocated for the tanks.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #68

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I have another question. The two tongue mounted LP tanks with cover. I see on photos they are mounted away from the trailer wall and close to the hitch hardware. Why the big gap between it and the wall ? In case one orders a box ?
Yes.
In case you order it with the trailer, or want to add it later.
This isn't unusual. My Boler never had a box available, but the battery is between the propane and the body, so the effect is similar - the tanks hang off both sides of the tongue... which I really dislike.

When the tanks are side-by-side, there's another challenge: most weight-distribution (WD) systems have about the same length of spring bar, so the brackets on the tongue are around the same location (a bit over two feet back from the ball). If the tanks are there, a WD system is hard (or impossible) to mount - everyone puts up with tanks positioned to allow WD even if they will never use WD, which is how much of life works.

Quote:
What if you don't want a box, do the tanks stay where I see in the photos ?
Yes.
Originally, the two propane tanks on the 17-foot were in line down the centreline of the tongue area, but this was changed on trailers with the box, and later on all of them in case you want the box.

Quote:
Also if no box, I would think moving the tanks back would help some with hitch weight, some I would think.
Yes, a few percent perhaps - look at how far they move back compared to the ball-to-axle distance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Looking to be a 21 ft owner

Santiago, just an opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but you really should get the storage box. It's by far the best and most used option we got. Also protects the front lower half of the trailer. In the case of our 19, it's also where our dual 6v batteries go, so no worries about battery boxes or venting. Nice.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #70

.....what he said There has been more than one case of non-buyer's remorse on that option.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #71

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Potential use of a distribution hitch would certainly be a good argument for the tanks to be mounted forward as the photos show. Honestly I don't envision using a WD hitch as I intend to keep the tongue weight low, LPs only, will have a truck and balance future additions as needed around the axles taking proper tongue weight into account. Thank you Brian.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #72

Ross and Robert, you make an excellent argument on the box, will mull some more but I have to tell you I have a long minimalist streak. Simplicity and less stuff is good.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #73

Just remember to watch George Carlin's stuff.....you may not realize just how much storage there is under the bed

Edit: the box is too cool. And versatile. Also expensive to freight down later!

We put our chocks Andersen chains when unhooked, bbq, charcoal & chimney, Trailer-Aid, Bal-X tandem chocks, small tool kit...just all the stuff you want a ready reach to but able to lock against opportunity thieves.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #74

Ross except for the big stuff like a BBQ or lawn chairs all the trailer stuff will fit in the two side compartments. All our outdoor dining stuff is portable and fits under the dinette seat easily with lots of room to spare - in the Scamp 13' !!!

As a point of reference, Kim and I travel Europe, lately Spain and Portugal by train and buses with just a backpack each, for two weeks at a time. Due to many heavy lenses, I wear a coat and stuff them in the pockets so as to pass the occasional carry on weighing some foreign carriers impose on us. Less is best.

Santiago
Old 08-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #75

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
The box is perfect when you pack up in the rain and have wet hoses, chocks, etc. Not really about minimalism vs consumerism - you are going to have wet stuff you don't want to put in the hatches.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #76

Hello Jan and Paul, like most owners here, you too make an excellent argument. No rule saying we need to fill with heavy stuff and yes or course I know the value of storage, come to my house and you will see a three car garage and two huge sheds out in back as I love working with my hands and store a lot of materials.

My wife Kim was not too keen on the box as looking at it in the 21ft option photo it does not look good, It seems the photo was of a smaller trailer and the box was wider. Thank God I saw your photo of the box mounted on the 21ft and it looks like it belongs there. the proportions are just right on the bigger trailer. Kim wants it. I will do all I can to keep it light.

Thank you, Ross and Robert for good advice and caring.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
The box is my favorite option on the 21' for all the reasons cited.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #78

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The box is my favorite option on the 21' for all the reasons cited.

Lalalalala, my wallet can't hear you.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #79
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
After breaking camp during a rainy week it was nice to watch all the water drip out of the drain holes on the box after I threw in the outdoor mat, 9x12 ground cover, drippy water hose and detachable electric cord.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #80

Trailer: 2014 19'
It can be your wet locker and mud room floor. Stuff I don't want anywhere in the trailer..... But not leaving it either!
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote