Lurking until I can purchase - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Lurking until I can purchase

Hello, I've been reading through the forum for a while, trying to discover all the Escape faults and boogers, but really am impressed with how few there are, and how well Escape steps up and takes care of things. The new factory tour video is impressive (I'm familiar with manufacturing and know a good operation when I see one). We hope to run up to Chiliwack this summer to look over the floor models.

We currently have an '83 Burro (10' box), which I've fully restored, down to a new axle (one way to get out of regreasing your bearings!), new custom windows, cork flooring, new elec, gas, water pump, upholstry, et al, and it's been just great for our needs. It's simple, no grey/black tanks to deal with, not even trailer brakes.

As we get closer to retirement, though, we think stepping up from our 1,000# trailer to a 3400# 17B trailer is a good idea...maybe the 19, although I'd probably need a vehicle upgrade to tow a 19. We don't expect to 'full time', but will spend extended periods of up to 2 - 3 months in it once we retire.

Thanks for everyone's input, it's appreciated!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Welcome many of us started out as lurkers too. Spend some time in both trailers and get a feel for both sizes I started with a 17 but never really looked at the bigger sizes before I bought it it was a great trailer but in the end I wanted something bigger.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Those Burros are really cute love to see your refurbished trailer some day.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome, Tony. You seem to be doing your homework well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Exciting!!! Especially with retirement coming up!
Advice: Your current tow vehicle will not outlast the Escape. Pick the trailer you like most! (The bed in the 19 is permanent. Very nice when getting older....)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
" We don't expect to 'full time', but will spend extended periods of up to 2 - 3 months in it once we retire. "

This is the biggest change we saw between camping before retirement and after.

Before retirement, we rarely if ever took a trip over one week long, maybe two or three times in our entire working career. In fact, many of our trips we long weekends. So our camping space needs changed dramatically as we went from week long trips or less to month long trips.

Don't tie yourself to trailer size based on your current tow vehicle. Instead, get the trailer that best fits your needs, and then upgrade your tow vehicle as needed to pull it.

We had a Casita Liberty, and found it too small for our needs. So we upgraded to an Escape 19. Its working well.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
When in Chilliwack, many of us can only suggest that you look closely at the 21' and maybe ? 5.0. A lot of folks here have gone from a 15', 17' or 19' to a 21' or 5.0. You may be glad to have something bigger with extended trips.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #8

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
I'm a lurker too, but we pretty much have made our decision. We have a 2012 15' Parkliner (with a 12' body) we will be selling in a year. You simply cannot beat fiberglass trailers!

Nothing wrong with lurking, that's some of what these forums are for!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
So don't keep us in suspense, frank! What's your escape of choice?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ah, Burro memories. My first egg was an '81 that I found in New England, on eBay, horribly neglected, terrible shape. When I entered it I fell through the rotted floor. They are so rare back east, so that was a lucky, fun project and got me totally hooked on FB world.
Attached Thumbnails
Burro81.jpg  
Old 04-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
So don't keep us in suspense, frank! What's your escape of choice?
5.0TA is our choice.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: felix2... If you're really "Lurky" you might be able to order soon. Don't wait to long as you waste valuable useit time!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: felix2... If you're really "Lurky" you might be able to order soon. Don't wait to long as you waste valuable useit time!!! Alf
Not in a hurry Alf. Older I get, the more patient I become.

We are cancelling other plans we generally have for that weekend to attend the Niagara Wine Escape 2018.

Frank
Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
5.0TA is our choice.
Hi: frank_a...Ours too!!! Glad to have you over to Niagara Wine Escape. You'll see 'em all in one spot.
My favorite saying about patients is "I want patients... and I want it NOW"!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040643.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Frank, Looking forward to seeing you at the Niagara Wine Escape. We went last year for the first time and had an absolute fantastic time. Great people, conversation, campers, food and possibly a few adult beverages if so desired.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Frank, Looking forward to seeing you at the Niagara Wine Escape. We went last year for the first time and had an absolute fantastic time. Great people, conversation, campers, food and possibly a few adult beverages if so desired.
This may be it for a while, as we have another event that same weekend in Olcott NY. Not going this year specifically so we can look at a few 5.0TA's.

Frank
Old 04-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
How it seems to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
As we get closer to retirement, though, we think stepping up from our 1,000# trailer to a 3400# 17B trailer is a good idea...maybe the 19, although I'd probably need a vehicle upgrade to tow a 19. We don't expect to 'full time', but will spend extended periods of up to 2 - 3 months in it once we retire.
You sound like a talented person who can figure things out. I started with a 17' Casita SD but for retirement Martha and I wanted enough space to keep items in the camper closer by, rather than moving them back and forth between the TV and the cabin. Our decision was for the 21' to avoid the crawl over bed arrangement. Best wishes as you navigate your retirement.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
You sound like a talented person who can figure things out. I started with a 17' Casita SD but for retirement Martha and I wanted enough space to keep items in the camper closer by, rather than moving them back and forth between the TV and the cabin. Our decision was for the 21' to avoid the crawl over bed arrangement. Best wishes as you navigate your retirement.
I agree. We have a Parkliner (for sale next spring), and dislike two things about it. The crawl over bed thing (even if it is a queen size bed) and the dinette being in the middle of the trailer, such that the bed is in the back and the bathroom in the front. No. We want a bed at one end and dinette at the other end. I get up early. She doesn't. We have no complaints about storage space in the Parkliner. We've never filled it up! 5.0TA will be our next RV.

Frank
Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Lurked for two years ourselves. Learned a lot. Nothing wrong with hanging out I say.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Thanks, everyone. Since you asked...Burros ARE cute, aren't they?

I gutted it, replaced the overhead carpet with bamboo roller shades over reflectix, help in place with PVC lath strips screwed in place with stainless screws and cup washers.

Previous owner cut and drilled a lot of holes for speakers etc, so I made 1/8" wood panels to cover the sides of cabinets. Also made new tabletops and a new countertop, with aluminaum edging, and a fold-up counter extension as well. All new high density foam cushions, and cork flooring. LED lighting inside all cabinets.

I love modifying. I drew up some ideas for a custom layout but Escape said no, they don't want to deviate so much from the standard layouts. Sigh. Guess I'll need to do it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2906.jpg   IMG_2841.jpg   IMG_2882.jpg   20140803_162435a.jpg  
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote