Maine - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
Maine

New member from Ogunquit, Maine. We placed an order for a 21ne and changed to a 19 to lose some weight. Currently traveling in an Aliner and wanted just a little more room. Any suggestions about must have options would be appreciated. Our tow vehicle is a Subaru Ascent.
wjwoods01@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Your vehicle specs say 5,000 lbs so I think you were right in downsizing to a 19.

You will have to keep in mind that every option you order adds weight.

I would say the kitchen and bathroom windows are nice.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
tongue weight

Consider both overall trailer weight and tongue weight limits. I believe the Ascent tongue weight limit is 500 pounds, so you will max out the tongue weight well before you max out the trailer weight.

I have seen estimates of trailer option weights, but haven't seen estimates of how much each option adds to the tongue weight, as it all depends on the option's fore/aft placement. I can, however, give you two data points:

The options on our 2014 19' that added weight were modest: ac (+140 pounds), front box, 1 solar (+25 pounds), 1 group 29 battery. Total weight was 3180 pounds with 420 pounds on the tongue.

Our 2018 19' has ac, front box, dual 6-volt lead-acid batteries (+65 pounds more than single), framed thermal windows (+100? pounds), spray-on underbody insulation (+100? pounds), and 2 solar (+50 pounds). Total weight is 3620 pounds with 520 pounds on the tongue.

The dual lead-acid batteries in the front box are probably the biggest adder to tongue weight and a lithium-ion battery would lower that significantly. The spray-on underbody insulation probably contributes. Thermal windows were optional in 2018 but are now standard.

It's fun to add options, but if you have a modest tow vehicle, keep an eye on the tongue weight.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Consider both overall trailer weight and tongue weight limits. I believe the Ascent tongue weight limit is 500 pounds, so you will max out the tongue weight well before you max out the trailer weight.

I have seen estimates of trailer option weights, but haven't seen estimates of how much each option adds to the tongue weight, as it all depends on the option's fore/aft placement. I can, however, give you two data points:

The options on our 2014 19' that added weight were modest: ac (+140 pounds), front box, 1 solar (+25 pounds), 1 group 29 battery. Total weight was 3180 pounds with 420 pounds on the tongue.

Our 2018 19' has ac, front box, dual 6-volt lead-acid batteries (+65 pounds more than single), framed thermal windows (+100? pounds), spray-on underbody insulation (+100? pounds), and 2 solar (+50 pounds). Total weight is 3620 pounds with 520 pounds on the tongue.

The dual lead-acid batteries in the front box are probably the biggest adder to tongue weight and a lithium-ion battery would lower that significantly. The spray-on underbody insulation probably contributes. Thermal windows were optional in 2018 but are now standard.

It's fun to add options, but if you have a modest tow vehicle, keep an eye on the tongue weight.

Bill R
That’s great info, thanks.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I own an Ascent 2020 Touring model. This model has numerous towing features that may or may not be on lower end models. I have run the five weight calculations for towing my 21 with our Ascent. My conclusion is, on paper, the Touring model will work. However, the combination will be at or over the weight limits very easily. Tongue weight and vehicle cargo capacity were my biggest concerns.

My conclusion is I could tow with the Ascent. I would consider such towing for short trips of around 200 miles. It would require the frequent use of a tongue scale, limiting passengers and cargo and careful distribution of weight. I did not look into a weight distribution hitch, if recommended and what weight it would add.

We take numerous cross country trips and having a larger tow vehicle makes it easier to leave the Ascent at home. I personally think the Ascent is not enough vehicle for a 19 or 21.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #6

Thanks for your opinion, appreciate it.