My/our introduction - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19’
My/our introduction

For years I plied the roads on my bicycle, sleeping on the ground and taking a dim view of those cumbersome things called rv’s. I don’t know what happened. One day I bought a truck and camper and more than a dozen years later my wife and I have owned three truck campers, two 5th wheels, a B class motorhome, and currently a A frame pop up Chalet. So much for my dim view of the rv lifestyle. A couple days ago we placed a deposit on a 21’ Escape and eagerly begin the journey of making the right choices to accessories it. I have lots of questions and will be grateful for help. Happy to have made it to 2021.
Jimmy smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I was comfortable sleeping in tents until I was 65, now I’m done with that.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #3

I’ve moved up to a cot for my deer and elk hunting these days. 71 this year and after packing out a a big Mule deer and branch bull elk this season I’m wondering if I have it in me any more. Sigh
Old 01-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I was comfortable sleeping in tents until I was 65, now I’m done with that.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy smith View Post
I’ve moved up to a cot for my deer and elk hunting these days. 71 this year and after packing out a a big Mule deer and branch bull elk this season I’m wondering if I have it in me any more. Sigh
Welcome, Jimmy!

I almost bought a Chalet several years ago - they made a few spec units a local dealer carried that came with no sink or stove, and I went down there with cash in hand but the dealer had none and said Chalet had enough backorders that they weren't making any spec units nor would take orders for them. I ended up buying a Jumping Jack tent trailer that I sold to a niece when I bought my Escape.

I hear you about wondering how long I will be doing the more physical activities. I don't hunt big game, but I do fish out of my kayak, and at the end of long day fishing, getting all my gear to and in and on my truck is getting increasingly harder.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #6

I feel your pain. Pulling up a couple of nice ling Cod for 150 feet this past summer caused a good ache. Quickly forgotten about the time they hit the pan. Our Chalet has been fun and has everything that could be put in it. I’ll be happy for it to find a new home when the shiny new baby shows up. Thanks for the welcome. Come fish the Umpqua sometime.
Jimmy
Old 01-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Welcome Jimmy to the forum and being an Escape owner. I'll be 71 this year as well and though I don't either hunt nor fish (although both my sons do - I didn't teach them) I certainly enjoy camping in our Escape.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #8

Thanks
You must have raised those boys well
Old 01-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy smith View Post
I feel your pain. Pulling up a couple of nice ling Cod for 150 feet this past summer caused a good ache. Quickly forgotten about the time they hit the pan. Our Chalet has been fun and has everything that could be put in it. I’ll be happy for it to find a new home when the shiny new baby shows up. Thanks for the welcome. Come fish the Umpqua sometime.
Jimmy

When I go that far south, I'm usually headed to the coast and Sunset Bay. It is hands down the easiest kayak access to the ocean on the entire Oregon coast. One thing about fishing the ocean in a kayak is that you're usually sticking fairly close to shore - up to a mile offshore, but usually much closer - so my heaviest ling was taken in 17' of water and maybe 20 yards off of the shore, although it was 3 miles upwind & upcurrent from the launch. Reeling up wasn't much of a chore, but getting there was.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #10

I’ve seen kayaks there at Sunset. In one of my past lifetimes I was stationed on a cutter in Coos Bay. Just a youngster then. You must have a Hobie
Old 01-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #11

I have 3 Hobies in my garage. My son's, mine, and a tandem for my wife & I. A niece's (the one who got my tent trailer) husband was a BM stationed at the Charleston CG station.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #12

I was on the Modoc. We tied up between North Bend and Coos Bay. Off shore rescue and fishery patrol after those Russians. 1973 it was.
I’ve let go of many treasures along the path including a Hobie. Still kind of miss it. Luckily I have a little kevlar canoe I can get up and down off the truck pretty easy. Love boats and and and and. Going to need to buy a new truck when I get the escape. Have any thoughts? Need a canopy and rack for the boat. Love to find a low mileage probably 1/2 ton. My email is jimmysmithanotherview@gmail.com
My wife has been a journalist for her lifetime and writes about rv living. Rvwheellife.com. There is an occasional post by me under jimmy smith another view.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:39 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Another Escape in Oregon! Getting to be quite a few of us now.

I went from backpacking using a tube tent in the Rockies (including Canada) in my 20s/30s and worked my way up through several rigs to an Escape 21.

Amazing how much harder that ground gets as we age...........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
We bought one of the last chalet arrowheads before the previous company went under.
We had water penetration problems from the get-go. Now we have back black mold growing under the linoleum it's a storage unit now....
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #15

Interesting you mention that. I think I have the same issue under the linoleum flooring. Not sure where it has/is coming in from? Bring on the escape.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200bruce View Post
We bought one of the last chalet arrowheads before the previous company went under.
We had water penetration problems from the get-go. Now we have back black mold growing under the linoleum it's a storage unit now....
Had a buddy who turned his A-frame into a chicken coop.....

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #17

That is so bad. Ha ha ha. Hope to find a n rv’er to ply the roads as we have done.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200bruce View Post

Some background clarification: Chalet has had at least 3 different owners. The first, original. Not sure when they sold, but sometime after 2007. Someone bought it and ran it into the ground after sucking out all the $$. Then some brothers bought it and revived the brand. I had work done at the factory (@ 2014) in Oregon at that time; they were great to work with and were committed to the brand, attending rallies etc. Last I knew (@ 2017) they were still going strong. I just looked at the website and they have gone the way of Escape--building to order with customization.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Some background clarification: Chalet has had at least 3 different owners. The first, original. Not sure when they sold, but sometime after 2007. Someone bought it and ran it into the ground after sucking out all the $$. Then some brothers bought it and revived the brand. I had work done at the factory (@ 2014) in Oregon at that time; they were great to work with and were committed to the brand, attending rallies etc. Last I knew (@ 2017) they were still going strong. I just looked at the website and they have gone the way of Escape--building to order with customization.
Hi: h2owmn... Yea... It's like what did the Pillsbury Dough Boy know about building Airstreams? Now it's Thor's turn!!!
WELCOME to the forum... Jimmy smith Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #20

Thanks. I’ll be scratching at the door to get my hands on the escape. Meantime the chalet will do just fine.