Nervous Newbie - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2022, 06:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Laptop? What’s a laptop . I just use an iPad now. Great for locating places to stay at night too.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:43 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Laptop? What’s a laptop . I just use an iPad now. Great for locating places to stay at night too.
Please say more. What apps or services do you find most helpful for finding sites when using your iPad? I'm assuming you need an active internet connection (cell or wifi).

I share the anxiety about not heading out without having a reserved place to overnight. It may be an east coast thing. I don't know. We picked up in the summer of 2018 and went all the way out and came all the way back without reservations but I understood that demand for sites was way up and things had changed making that approach a bit too risky.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think that sites are more available during the week travel than are those on weekends, and once schools are back, more will be available also at that interval.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:39 PM   #24

I have a few apps like Allstays RA Camoing, Rec.gov, Reserve America, etc. but mostly just do searches. I use the phone for wifi, but it’s easier to read and look at maps on the iPad, so I just make the phone my hotspot. I like a tablet because it’s smaller than a laptop and bigger than a phone.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I like a tablet because it’s smaller than a laptop and bigger than a phone.
I've tried my wife's iPad, but as a touch typist for 60 years, I find my fffffffffffingers restttttt on the kkkkkkeys and it keeps typingggggg.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:03 PM   #26

I have a Zagg rugged case that I can just use the tablet or touch type on the keyboard. It’s almost like a laptop, but smaller. There are times, but not many, I actually have to use a “computer,” but mostly the iPad covers the needs.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've tried my wife's iPad, but as a touch typist for 60 years, I find my fffffffffffingers restttttt on the kkkkkkeys and it keeps typingggggg.
Sounds like trying to teach my mother-in-law how to use a cell phone. A tap is a tap. No, don't hold it down like that. Months later, tap don't hold......

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #28

Quote:
I have a few apps like Allstays RA Camoing, Rec.gov, Reserve America, etc. but mostly just do searches. I use the phone for wifi, but it’s easier to read and look at maps on the iPad, so I just make the phone my hotspot. I like a tablet because it’s smaller than a laptop and bigger than a phone.
Thanks for sharing. I've been using RYParky on my home computer to identify and get basic info. on camping locations in a particular area and then going to recreation.gov or reserve america or the campground's website to make reservations. I looked at it a few years back and may give Allstays another chance.

I don't have a great mobile solution given my current cell plan--it's a bit tight on data. I'll need an upgrade to use a hot spot/mobile option on any regular basis.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:45 PM   #29

I don’t have unlimited, but between my 15, my wife’s 15, and the truck’s unlimited, we have more than enough. The phone’s aren’t cheap at $70 a month, but the truck is $17 a month. Barb and the truck are ATT, and I am Verizon, so most, but not all places we have cell / internet for $87 all inclusive. If we didn’t travel much, I wouldn’t pay that much, but I just consider it a cost of travel.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:21 PM   #30

Trailer: 2022 21NE
https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/internet

https://www.starlink.com/rv
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:30 PM   #31

I’ve used 3rd party cell internet for my home internet. Not great success. Too much throttling. As far as Starlink, I was signed up and paid as soon as Beta became available for me. They say first come first served, but I can attest that is clearly not the case, and decided a little over a year ago to cancel Starlink and take the refund. I would still not have it even now if I kept waiting.

I did the third party LTE internet for a year and then went to TMobile home internet which worked really well until yesterday. I have to sort that out since technically it’s not available here, but a store let me try it. I modded the gateway for external antennas I already had from my previous LTE internet setup. So, unless I make it stock again, which doesn’t work, I can’t call TMobile and I’m on my own. Otherwise it’s only Hughesnet or one of the variants here.
i’m on my verizon tethered to the iPad tonight.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:41 AM   #32

Thanks for the suggestions. We are Verizon Fios at home and cell plan is Verizon as well. The cell plan is 10 GB (spread across 5 lines) which is more than enough when we are home but gets thin towards the end of the cycle when we traveling. For now our trips are relatively short and restricted to the summer months so they can be planned in advance and it's vacation so our internet needs are minimal: google maps navigation mostly with some checking of local events or other travel interests.

Hopefully, we'll be moving towards longer trips with less definite itineraries in the coming year. I've noted that many who spend extended time on the road have multiple cell plans, mostly for coverage but also for other features such as increased data or hotspots or what have you. Rather than changing plans (which we are tied to for other reasons), I wonder if it would be better to get a second plan? Has anyone tried Google Fi as a supplement (which I take is a third party, T-Mobile service)? Are there international considerations that work particularly well for travel in the US, Canada, and Mexico? We are US-based but can see a future that includes visiting our neighbors to the north and to the south.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Travelers View Post
Are there international considerations that work particularly well for travel in the US, Canada, and Mexico? We are US-based but can see a future that includes visiting our neighbors to the north and to the south.
We normally buy a sim card for whatever country we're in, including Mexico.

Canada has about the highest cell phone costs in the world so whatever you do make sure that it's a US plan that includes Canada.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #34

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:22 PM   #35

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
After using Verizon for almost 20 years, I switched to Google Fi after moving to a more rural location because dropped calls were a daily occurrence with Verizon. I've not experienced a single problem over the last 3+ years with Google, all while saving an average of 30% or more each month. FYI, I've used a Pixel phone since switching to Fi and have no complaints about those either.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 2019 17' B
Hi, I do find RVing more frustrating these days. It seems reservations are needed in most State and National Parks. It really cuts down the ability to be spontaneous in my travels. The weather and the extremes are also more of a concern as well. However, I’m not giving up my RVing travels, just adjusting my plans. I recommend the following several apps for RVing:
1. Allstays (not free) is a very good source for camping. Your navigator can call ahead as you travel down the road and make reservations for the night, etc it has almost every campground known to human kind, commercial, public, clubs, everything.
2. RvParky (free) is a good app for trip planning and sharing.
3. Fire Source (free) gives you information about the wildfires in your area as you travel. It is updated well as new fires are reported. I find it reassuring in my travels to know the location of the fires around me.
Also, The RVing fever comes and goes, so I’m thinking with all the issues confronting us, many will eventually opt to staying home or using other means of traveling. Not everyone can Rv forever. However, Rv parks that charge high fees and wealthier RVers are ruining the RVing life for less wealthier Rvers.
RVing offers a certain type of traveling with perhaps more privacy, but it has its down side as well. It would be wise to list the pros and cons and talk it over. Motel/Hotel and rental car cost are going up every day. Perhaps make a travel plan for your Rv and then make the same plan without an Rv. Then compare the costs and etc.
Flying for me is a miserable experience. Trains are good, but they too are expensive and don’t go where I want to, however, I do love trains.
Gas goes up and down, but will eventually get more expensive.
State/National Parks are more crowded and noisy with home schooled children whose parents use these campgrounds as playgrounds. Kids need to know how to behave in nature. These Public parks are not playgrounds.
RVing is changing and it is up to people who know the joys to make sure the changes are to everyone’s benefit not to just the wealthy. Avoid paying outrageous fees and boycott parks that cater to the wealthier (campers ?).
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #37

Trailer: 2021 Escape 17B
Sumas to Sarasota

We picked up our 17B in Sumas last September never having pulled a trailer and drove across the US. We searched for campsites each day while driving using a variety of apps like Campendium, The Dyrt, Park Advisor, Recreation.gov, etc.. We mainly looked for state park and COE campsites and only a couple of times had to settle for a commercial RV park. We did try to book a few days ahead of time for weekends. We ended up liking every place we stayed. We would have done more boondocking, but we were just learning to tow and were hesitant to get too far off paved roads.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Kids need to know how to behave in nature. These Public parks are not playgrounds.
Get off my lawn.