New awning - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #81

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My automatic awning has worked exactly the way it was designed, it retracted twice in breezy weather otherwise it has remained steady for more than a dozen expansions and retractions.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My automatic awning has worked exactly the way it was designed, it retracted twice in breezy weather otherwise it has remained steady for more than a dozen expansions and retractions.

Honestly, I was impressed by the Dometic power awning when I was at Escape trailers. It looked to be well built and operated very smoothly. My concern is after a few years in the field the automatic retraction sensor quits working and/or the motor gives up and dies. Either is expensive to fix and not warrantied farther out than perhaps a year? After that I'm stuck with a broken awning and a several hundred dollar repair. And from that perspective I'd much rather deal with the manual awning. Just my own personal perspective and preference.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:13 AM   #83

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I thought that this awning could also be operated manually. Not the case? If it can, why not have the automatic feature as long as it lasts?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #84

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I guess I don't understand all this negative thinking about the new additions to the standard builds. I'm a half-full-glass kind of person and am willing to give most anything a chance. It's surely a lot more pleasant and positive way to get through life.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:27 AM   #85

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm removing the wheels from my Escape in order to prevent traffic accidents which almost always involve moving vehicles.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:00 AM   #86

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm removing the wheels from my Escape in order to prevent traffic accidents which almost always involve moving vehicles.
Won't get you very far!!
Rather keep the wheels rolling, Escape, and instead of eating keep your glass half full!! Like Karen says.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:10 AM   #87

Dometic has after market kits to convert manual to automatic operation, including the wind/rain sensor which is battery operated separate from the awning and the motors to convert manual awnings to automatic. So replacement/repair parts are already readily accessible.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #88

Trailer: 17
Anyone know how easy it would be to install the Dometic factory LED strip that mounts on the Rail? Is it simple plug in then the rail mount? (Escape has their own LED and Does not offer the factory Dometic LED to customers).
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #89

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Honestly, I was impressed by the Dometic power awning when I was at Escape trailers. It looked to be well built and operated very smoothly. My concern is after a few years in the field the automatic retraction sensor quits working and/or the motor gives up and dies. Either is expensive to fix and not warrantied farther out than perhaps a year? After that I'm stuck with a broken awning and a several hundred dollar repair. And from that perspective I'd much rather deal with the manual awning. Just my own personal perspective and preference.
this camper for one respects your thoughts, reasoning, opinions and right to express them..
another random thought ...with waiting until build time for the trailer and since this particular Dometic awning is somewhat new, perhaps more feedback from actual users will yield more relevant data for a final decision... manual or automatic.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #90

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
perhaps I missed it but is there a real hardwired power off switch (turns off power to the motors) on the new Dometic awning so for example while traveling when you want to be sure the awning can not extend accidentally and/or the awning electronics has a brain fart ?
The Carefree version appeared to have this hardwired power off switch.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #91

Yes, there is a separate "on/off" switch mounted on the kitchen end, next to the door which cuts the power off to the awning and which has to be "on" in order for the remote to operate. Comes with a nice "on/off" label also.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
this camper for one respects your thoughts, reasoning, opinions and right to express them..
It has been mentioned many times before, but this is one of the things that sets Escape above other trailers, the fact we can make these choices for our own reasons. Either a powered or manual awning will still do the job, and plenty of good memories can be made with either, or even no awning at all for tha matter.

I certainly have had my reservations regarding this new awning when it was introduced as the standard, but my desire for it to be what I hope it will be wins out for me. Only time will tell for sure, but not too worried, there can always be a Plan B.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #93

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It has been mentioned many times before, but this is one of the things that sets Escape above other trailers, the fact we can make these choices for our own reasons. Either a powered or manual awning will still do the job, and plenty of good memories can be made with either, or even no awning at all for that matter.
Amen to that Jim. I am a good example as Escape allowed my Classic 21 awning to be left out. At my request they glassed in wood blocking and showed me where it was so that in the event I move on to a smaller Escape down the road the new owner will be able to attach a brand new awning. Other manufacturers will not change squat, thinking of Casita. Eleven years ago, I asked Casita that they NOT cut a big hole on the roof for the manual roof vent so I could garage it. To my amazement, the manager told me the productions workers are trained to cut the hole and not cutting it would confuse them. I wanted no credit for the vent and suggested it would save them time, cutting , riveting, sealing and fitting to interior's ceiling rat fur. He said they sell every unit they build and do not have to accommodate any change even minor ones. I went to Scamp and they accommodated me. The 13 ft Scamp, sans roof vent, rolled through my 7 ft high garage door between trips. Warning: new Scamp 13 built after the 2006 factory fire are taller and likely not make it through a 7 ft garage door. Mine was 2005 model pre-fire.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
The new windows might break or the medicine cabinet or maybe the new fridge too. You could also have a flat tire.

I think ETI does their homework because problems for the customer are problems for them. They are not going to offer something they think will be a problem down the road.

Guess I have a different outlook. Anything can break but I keep my tires properly inflated and don't spend a lot of time worrying about things that might happen.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
.......don't spend a lot of time worrying about things that might happen.
I liken worry to panic, neither allows rationale thinking to prevail. But, I know that not everyone can be so easy going, my dear wife is one who is quite prone to worry, could be the motherly instinct.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I was one of the original doubters as well, but in the end we stuck with the automatic Dometic due to: A) There is no credit for getting the manual version even though it is probably cheaper for ETI to obtain, B) ETI was unable to give me a model # for the manual version so I didn't know what I would be getting. FWIW, the Dometic looks pretty nice and I liked the looks of that test video that shows them pummeling one with 50 mph winds:

They don't mention the exact model, but it looks like the 9000 series.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #97
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
One point in favor of the old style awning with arms is we get to use awning deflappers! It really quiets the awning down even in a gentle breeze. I like sitting under my awning in a gentle breeze and not hear the fabric flap. I wonder what can be done for those with the automatics?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #98

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Here's a video showing the auto retract.
https://youtu.be/ef-Xks-GmbY
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #99

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Interesting that the you tube videos are from the 2010/2011 time frame. While they are new to Escape they aren't new to the RV industry.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #100

Anyone want some awning deflappers, awning tie downs and awning safety straps, I got it all and no longer need them.