New awning - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I purchased the Carefree deflappers and installed them when our camper was new. I found we I did not need them because it never flapped if you pull down and make the awning tight before you tighten the top bar. After snugging it up if it gets windy enough I retract the awning.

I wish I could just push a button.

Someday maybe.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #102
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I found we I did not need them because it never flapped if you pull down and make the awning tight before you tighten the top bar.
Never had any flappers, but that's been my experience too. No flapping at all if you tension the awning by pulling down before tightening the knob.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #103
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Obviously y'all don't camp on the Pacific Ocean where there's all kinds of wind... from steady to gusts. When I camp where it's pretty much calm, no deflappers needed. Different strokes for different folks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #104

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Discussions in this forum (this thread and others) have already gone through this in great detail. I think if you do a Google search for any product you're more likely to find the vocally dissatisified than the quietly happy. The Dometic-made (but different brand and model) power awning on my motorhome never retracted undesirably.

If you Google search for problems with the electronic systems on modern cars and light trucks, then apply this reasoning, you may consider shopping for a Model T.

There are now a few new-style Escapes in owners' hands, and all of them have the Dometic 9500 power awning (the point of Canadark's post #41, showing the first manual awning unit in production)... so are any of them retracting when they shouldn't?
So , Brian B-P, I'm not looking for a model t. I'm not exactly sure why you suggest I look for a model t. I want a trouble free awning. Kinda like the one on the older Escape. So how is the new awning on your new 2017 working? Or do you have the older Escape awning. It's interesting you mention all the new 2017's with the perfectly operating awnings. Now that it's November and camping season, I'm sure those new awnings are burning up the watts, amps and volts as they deploy and detract. Thanks so much for all your helpful info. I'll consider looking for a model T,. Do you have suggestions on doing that also?
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #105

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
My final photos from ETI included these two, which clearly show that the manual awning will have support arms that can be attached to the side of the trailer. Once I pick up the unit and have had some time to test things out, I will report back on my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06165.jpg   DSC06164.jpg  
Old 11-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
My final photos from ETI included these two, which clearly show that the manual awning will have support arms that can be attached to the side of the trailer. Once I pick up the unit and have had some time to test things out, I will report back on my experience.
If that is the case, and I certainly do see the attachment pieces, you would think it could be done if desired on the powered version. One would just want to disable the auto-retract feature.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #107

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If that is the case, and I certainly do see the attachment pieces, you would think it could be done if desired on the powered version. One would just want to disable the auto-retract feature.
Except the manual version is Carefree of Colorado and the electric is Dometic. Is the manual version of the Dometic provided with vertical support arms?

I would like an electric version manufactured by Carefree as they are located in my hometown but Escape isn't offering it.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Except the manual version is Carefree of Colorado and the electric is Dometic. Is the manual version of the Dometic provided with vertical support arms?

I would like an electric version manufactured by Carefree as they are located in my hometown but Escape isn't offering it.
I just remembered this, and came back to edit, but alas, I my brain fart is forever etched in the thread.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #109

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Maybe a dumm question here, but can you still open the frameless windows when support arms are installed?
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #110

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I assume the support arms come down from the open awning so they would folded up in the awning case in the picture. If they have to be detached and stowed that would be a real pain.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #111

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
looking forward to it...and please post a pic of the awning deployed with arms....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #112

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
I'm not exactly sure why you suggest I look for a model t. I want a trouble free awning. Kinda like the one on the older Escape.
Sorry, my point was apparently not clear. Even systems which are extremely reliable and effective will be the subject of online complaints, so if you weight those complaints too heavily, you will likely be discouraged from using useful technology. Every automotive advancement since the first mass-production cars is reviled by some internet rant, but I think a reasonable compromise is to accept most of that technology.

Of course I'm not suggesting that anyone shop for a Model T.

If anyone is looking for absolutely trouble-free awning, I suggest they look at the primitive design found on moulded fiberglass trailers of the 1960's... since the perfectly good and functional manual awning on "classic" Escapes is the subject of many complaints on the internet (in this forum ) about it unfurling in transit, being complex to operate, and other issues... probably all manageable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #113

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
since the perfectly good and functional manual awning on "classic" Escapes is the subject of many complaints on the internet (in this forum ) about it unfurling in transit, being complex to operate, and other issues... probably all manageable.
User Error. RTFM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:46 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
User Error. RTFM.
Not neccessary if all there are is, is two buttons to push.

I actually kid, as unlike the stigma attached to many male egos, I do RTFM. I will even ask for directions.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #115

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
.... I will even ask for directions.
But, do you follow those directions?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
But, do you follow those directions?
My wife would say no!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #117

Trailer: 17
Anyone know how easy it would be to install the Dometic factory LED strip that mounts on the Rail? Is it simple plug in then the rail mount? (Escape has their own LED and Does not offer the factory Dometic LED to customers).
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #118

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Jim and Glenn
I was never much of manual reader until I had to manage the municipal pools.
Without the manual we were quickly lost, calibrating chlorinators and at that time using 150 lb cylinders of chlorine gas. When tragedy and death are a real possibility pride and assumption better go out the window. After that realization, I started reading the manual on anything unfamiliar. Indirect job benefit. Sometimes I ask for directions, other times I go with dead (wrong) reckoning.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #119

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
So.. what do you think now that you have it? I'm considering getting the manual awning too, and ETI said that after testing it, they're sticking with the Carefree model instead of using the Dometic. I'm not quite sure why they chose that way.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #120
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
ETI said that after testing it, they're sticking with the Carefree model instead of using the Dometic. I'm not quite sure why they chose that way.
My guess is that it's because of the supply chain and availability - not so much any superiority of one over the other.