New awning - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #121

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
My guess is that it's because of the supply chain and availability - not so much any superiority of one over the other.
The main difference seems to be that the Carefree model (Carefree Freedom Wall Mount) has poles, whereas the Dometic model (Dometic 9500M) that they decided not to go with does not. Perhaps they decided that having the poles was a positive feature when it came to a manual awning since there wasn't an auto-retract like on the electric that precludes the poles.

Some positives of poles I could imagine:
- less flapping of the awning in winds with or without tie downs
- potentially, could use bug netting below since the weight at the end would be supported
- less stress on the exterior fiberglass walls. Perhaps they can built the trailer lighter using less structural material in the walls since the awning isn't cantilevered
- longer lasting due to less stress on the awning arms
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
The main difference seems to be that the Carefree model (Carefree Freedom Wall Mount) has poles, whereas the Dometic model (Dometic 9500M) that they decided not to go with does not. Perhaps they decided that having the poles was a positive feature when it came to a manual awning since there wasn't an auto-retract like on the electric that precludes the poles.

Some positives of poles I could imagine:
- less flapping of the awning in winds with or without tie downs
- potentially, could use bug netting below since the weight at the end would be supported
- less stress on the exterior fiberglass walls. Perhaps they can built the trailer lighter using less structural material in the walls since the awning isn't cantilevered
- longer lasting due to less stress on the awning arms
I just called Carefree and was told that their screen rooms can be used with the awnings that have poles, so that's one benefit for those who would like that feature.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #123

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had the Escape screen room with my 19 Escape, used it once. It seems you have to have the awning raised as high as possible for the extensions to lay properly, any tilt and you have too much material at the bottom. Anyway it was sold with the trailer and I now use the Clam if need be.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #124

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
I just called Carefree and was told that their screen rooms can be used with the awnings that have poles, so that's one benefit for those who would like that feature.
so you didn't pay a difference for the manual versus the electric awning?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
so you didn't pay a difference for the manual versus the electric awning?
They are both the same price from ETI.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #126

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have used our screen room and awning on our 19 several times. We like the added cover from weather. No dew on the chairs in the morning. Additional bug
Protection and shade on sunny days. We have the shade/ wind screens for the long side and one short side when we're not using the room. So glad our previous owner sold it to us with the trailer. Rita made some fit up modifications on the screen room and it's pretty bug tite. Nothing like setting outside in the dark with a cold one listening to the human and non human sounds of the night.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #127

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
So.. what do you think now that you have it? I'm considering getting the manual awning too, and ETI said that after testing it, they're sticking with the Carefree model instead of using the Dometic. I'm not quite sure why they chose that way.
since apparently you can not easily upgrade from manual to electric for possibly electrical reasons...the manual option looks like a plan B, if for some reason the electric version doesn't work out long term. With the exception of the electrics they probably both have metal mounting plates screwed to the fiberglass/wood structure at the roof indentation.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #128

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
So.. what do you think now that you have it? I'm considering getting the manual awning too, and ETI said that after testing it, they're sticking with the Carefree model instead of using the Dometic. I'm not quite sure why they chose that way.
Interesting. I submitted my 17B build sheet at the beginning of December and designated a manual awing. I asked Escape if I would be getting the Carefree and was told they were still deciding on which brand they would use.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Interesting. I submitted my 17B build sheet at the beginning of December and designated a manual awing. I asked Escape if I would be getting the Carefree and was told they were still deciding on which brand they would use.
I emailed them on Jan 9th and was told the Carefree awning had been selected for the manual option.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:09 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree - that's what I found looking at the Carefree web site.

The recess in the new Escape body is a slick feature, but wasn't planned for a manual awning... and this awning was desiged to be mounted on a flat wall (without a recess). I hope there's enough clearance to turn the drive loop with the crank handle, without inteference with the step in the trailer body; if there is enough clearance, it looks like a good alternative to the Dometic for those wanting fully manual operation.
I got a little more detail back from ETI today. They said that they went with the Carefree awning because the Dometic awning would not open without hitting the trailer. That's all the detail I got, but from close up photos it appears the drive loop is farther back on the Dometic awning than on the Carefree. It appears your earlier concerns were correct Brian, at least for the Dometic unit.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #131

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
All, regarding the water pooling issue on the 9500 Electric awning.... has anyone manually adjusted the downward pitch? The factory setting is 5 degrees and you can adjust to 15 degrees slope if the door will still open. See attached link, curious if anyone has tried it as this could fix having to put in a center support?

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/ass...inginstall.pdf
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote