New awning - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #41

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
My trailer is nearing completion. I spoke to Reace today about a couple of things...he did confirm that the awning on my 17B is from Carefree. And it is the first manual awning installed on the 2017-style trailers.

He is waiting to receive a demo manual awning from Dometic to see how it compares with the Carefree manual awing. But for now, power awnings will be Dometic; manual awnings will be Carefree.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06128.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the Carefree Freedom Wall Mount model. That looks like the only box awning from Carefree that offers manual as well as 12V operation.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
My trailer is nearing completion. I spoke to Reace today about a couple of things...he did confirm that the awning on my 17B is from Carefree. And it is the first manual awning installed on the 2017-style trailers.

He is waiting to receive a demo manual awning from Dometic to see how it compares with the Carefree manual awing. But for now, power awnings will be Dometic; manual awnings will be Carefree.
Except for the different awning case and no arms down the side ,the ring on the end of awning looks and I bet operates like the pioneer kit we installed on our Carefree Fiesta awning . If we were getting the new trailer we would feel comfortable getting the Carefree manual awning ,having had previous experience with similar operating awning . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:38 AM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the Carefree Freedom Wall Mount model. That looks like the only box awning from Carefree that offers manual as well as 12V operation.
I agree - that's what I found looking at the Carefree web site.

The recess in the new Escape body is a slick feature, but wasn't planned for a manual awning... and this awning was desiged to be mounted on a flat wall (without a recess). I hope there's enough clearance to turn the drive loop with the crank handle, without inteference with the step in the trailer body; if there is enough clearance, it looks like a good alternative to the Dometic for those wanting fully manual operation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree - that's what I found looking at the Carefree web site.

The recess in the new Escape body is a slick feature, but wasn't planned for a manual awning... and this awning was desiged to be mounted on a flat wall (without a recess). I hope there's enough clearance to turn the drive loop with the crank handle, without inteference with the step in the trailer body; if there is enough clearance, it looks like a good alternative to the Dometic for those wanting fully manual operation.
The only difference is dumping the motor . The rest of awning operates the same . Pat
Old 11-05-2016, 02:25 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The only difference is dumping the motor . The rest of awning operates the same . Pat
Pat, are you saying that the Dometic has the same drive connection (the ring or loop at the left end of the case), for backup manual operation? That's the difference I was talking about.

Also, the operating instructions for the Carefree wall-mount indicate that the awning is only partially extended - supported by the same type of arms as the Dometic 9500 - before support legs (which don't exist in the Dometic) are manually pulled out and pinned to support brackets mounted low on the trailer wall. If the awning installed by Escape doesn't have these legs, it must not be the model that I found on the Carefree web site. There is something in the photo just above the rear end of the access hatch which might be the bracket for the awning's leg; if it is, the corresponding bracket at the front end is hidden by the open door.

Clare, I suppose it is too early to know anything about operating instructions yet...
Old 11-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The automatic Dometic does not have the turn buckle you see in the picture. I also notice there are arm clips to attach the arms to the trailer (see one over the hatch door) so you will have support arms, either to the trailer wall or to the ground.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #48

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What's the little antenna?
Old 11-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What's the little antenna?
For a little radio.....
Old 11-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I'm very encouraged to see a manual awning with support arms will be an option. That's far and away my preference. I don't favor the added complication of an awning motor, and perhaps even more important, I like to create an enclosure with panels supported by the arms and avoid dealing with a separate canopy.

Walt
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #51

Quote:
Pat, are you saying that the Dometic has the same drive connection (the ring or loop at the left end of the case), for backup manual operation? That's the difference I was talking about.

Also, the operating instructions for the Carefree wall-mount indicate that the awning is only partially extended - supported by the same type of arms as the Dometic 9500 - before support legs (which don't exist in the Dometic) are manually pulled out and pinned to support brackets mounted low on the trailer wall. If the awning installed by Escape doesn't have these legs, it must not be the model that I found on the Carefree web site. There is something in the photo just above the rear end of the access hatch which might be the bracket for the awning's leg; if it is, the corresponding bracket at the front end is hidden by the open door.

Clare, I suppose it is too early to know anything about operating instructions yet...
Brian was referring to Carefree manual awning . The drive ring is at a little angle so I don't
believe there will be any interference at all . It appears on the side of trailer picture a connection for support arms , that would be great . Really don't know anything about Dometic manual awnings . The experience we had with Carefree ,was removing end caps and springs inside roller . Replacing with new end caps , one had the drive ring on it's end . It rolled in and out very easy with wand and drive ring . We still had the arms on our awning as before . Less to go wrong . I think with support arms , you would have more support and adjustment .
Just was on another forum in morning and they were discussing the nightmare's of the motorized awnings . We had a issue of springs on our Carefree unwinding as we were going down the road . We had to wind springs back up , and it became a pain . Removing springs
and replacing with drive ring system was great . It also removed 72 lbs of weight on a 9 ft awning . We have no problems with current awning on trailer but if we did , I would replace, with it is called a pioneer kit from Carefree , because it really worked well . Pat
Old 11-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #52

Quote:
The drive ring is at a little angle so I don't
believe there will be any interference at all .
Old 11-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
We had a issue of springs on our Carefree unwinding as we were going down the road . We had to wind springs back up , and it became a pain . Removing springs and replacing with drive ring system was great . It also removed 72 lbs of weight on a 9 ft awning . We have no problems with current awning on trailer but if we did , I would replace, with it is called a pioneer kit from Carefree, because it really worked well . Pat
Sounds interesting Pat. If your current Fiesta awning is in good shape, apparently all you need is the arm set. Saving 70-80 lbs would be very beneficial. If my spring ever loses tension, that's definitely a neat fix.

Pioneer Upgrade Kit - Carefree of Colorado
Old 11-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Sounds interesting Pat. If your current Fiesta awning is in good shape, apparently all you need is the arm set. Saving 70-80 lbs would be very beneficial. If my spring ever loses tension, that's definitely a neat fix.

Pioneer Upgrade Kit - Carefree of Colorado
That's it Robert . The 72 lbs of spring weight was on a 9 ft length awning on our previous camper . I think we have 12 ft so it would maybe save a lot more weight. Maybe 96 lbs . Pat
Old 11-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #55

Quote:
The 72 lbs of spring weight was on a 9 ft length awning on our previous camper . I think we have 12 ft so it would maybe save a lot more weight. Maybe 96 lbs . Pat
That's good for the Carefree awings, but Escape buyers shouldn't be expecting this sort of weight saving by opting for the manual awning. According to Dometic's specs, the entire Dometic powered 9500 Case Awning only weighs about 6 pounds per foot plus 7 pounds independent of length - a complete 12-foot awning would only run about 80 pounds, with springs and everything else.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How many owners out there replacing the manual tongue jack with an electric one and then opting for a manual awning?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How many owners out there replacing the manual tongue jack with an electric one and then opting for a manual awning?
Still have manual front jack . Pat
Old 11-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #58

Quote:
That's good for the Carefree awings, but Escape buyers shouldn't be expecting this sort of weight saving by opting for the manual awning. According to Dometic's specs, the entire Dometic powered 9500 Case Awning only weighs about 6 pounds per foot plus 7 pounds independent of length - a complete 12-foot awning would only run about 80 pounds, with springs and everything else.
Probably because the older awning was a little more robust . Like every thing else RV accessories are getting cheaper . Pat
Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #59

The new style awning does not have any springs what so ever, just 2 small motor heads and looks a lot less weight than the older style with arms and springs.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I replaced the manual tounge jack on my 19'. A lot more work thank rolling-out the manual awning.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote