“New” Classic E19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: ‘09 Escape 19
“New” Classic E19

G’day,

First post, first Escape and first RV. (Well, have had a couple of off road tent trailers over the years but they don’t really count) After decades of backpacking, tent camping and 4x4 trips out the back of the truck we’ve decided we might just be old enough to not have to sleep on the ground with our two (now elderly) pups anymore.

Managed to find a good condition ‘09 E19 on the east side of the mountains and had it relocated to beautiful Vancouver island.

We’ve been cleaning, washing, packing and unpacking gear, swapping out old incandescent bulbs for led’s, changing out a few light fixtures and trying to get a feel for our little house on wheels as she sits in the driveway.

It’s currently winterized (coming from Alberta just recently) so haven’t had a chance to shake down all the systems quite yet. Still replacing some missing screws, bits and fasteners here and there, and replacing anything that looks suspect or shows considerable wear.

Settled on the Escape platform after stopping at ground zero in chilliwack on the way home after an unsuccessful purchasing trip to Kelowna for a run of the mill stick framed/aluminum skinned trailer.

Being an 11 year old trailer, she does need some love but the build quality and layout is perfect for us.

This forum has been an excellent resource already for information, modifications and issues related to a classic E19.

Looking forward to our first (of many to come, I’m sure) outing in the “bumnut”.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
314E15B6-4B3E-479E-9906-DC17F78C3D4B.jpg  
Hardboiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Welcome! I know you're excited. Looks really nice, bet y'all have a lot of great adventures. Good people here willing to help with any questions.

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

I am sure you will have fun...

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Old or new she looks beautifull. There is so much to see on Vancouver island that it might be awhile before we see you on the mainland. You are going to love it.
jkavanagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on acquiring an E19.

Yes folks, those are really roses and dahlias? still blooming in his yard. One reason why snowbirds that can't head South are flocking to the Victoria area.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardboiled View Post
G’day,

First post, first Escape and first RV. (Well, have had a couple of off road tent trailers over the years but they don’t really count) After decades of backpacking, tent camping and 4x4 trips out the back of the truck we’ve decided we might just be old enough to not have to sleep on the ground with our two (now elderly) pups anymore.

Managed to find a good condition ‘09 E19 on the east side of the mountains and had it relocated to beautiful Vancouver island.

We’ve been cleaning, washing, packing and unpacking gear, swapping out old incandescent bulbs for led’s, changing out a few light fixtures and trying to get a feel for our little house on wheels as she sits in the driveway.

It’s currently winterized (coming from Alberta just recently) so haven’t had a chance to shake down all the systems quite yet. Still replacing some missing screws, bits and fasteners here and there, and replacing anything that looks suspect or shows considerable wear.

Settled on the Escape platform after stopping at ground zero in chilliwack on the way home after an unsuccessful purchasing trip to Kelowna for a run of the mill stick framed/aluminum skinned trailer.

Being an 11 year old trailer, she does need some love but the build quality and layout is perfect for us.

This forum has been an excellent resource already for information, modifications and issues related to a classic E19.

Looking forward to our first (of many to come, I’m sure) outing in the “bumnut”.

Cheers
Wow must smell wonderful when you go outside ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #7

Lol,

Thanks all... headed south to warmer climates the second the border opens.

Yes, Vancouver island has plenty to see, We’ve barely scratched the surface over the last 25+ years 😉

Content to explore the island/Canada until the all clear is sounded.

I’m sure we’ll be making the new addition “our own” and this forum is a wealth of modifications and information I didn’t even know I needed... until I see it.

Cheers
Old 11-12-2020, 10:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If my memory serves, 09 we were at the gathering in Bandon, Or when Reace, Tammy and family arrived in the very first 19 to show everyone. You have a great classic 19 and will enjoy it immensely I'm sure.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #9

Hey Greg,

Previous owner of this particular E19 seems to think it may one of, if not the first one made.

They purchased it new from Escape in ‘09.

Regardless, it’s a great starting point for our future RV adventures. Big enough yet small enough. If that makes sense?

Having spent a little time lurking in this forum, I know you do ��

Cheers
Old 11-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Quote:
"Previous owner of this particular E19 seems to think it may one of, if not the first one made. They purchased it new from Escape in ‘09."
Wow, what a gem! Welcome Kirk... sounds like your 19 has landed in a wonderful home. Would love to see more pics. First year with my 17 B and we've had so much fun maintaining, customizing and used it a lot this past camping season.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Looks like everything'c coming up roses for you! Have a wonderful time. There may be a way that you can tell how close to #1 yours is.

My '18 17a is 2 1/2 years old and I still wake up every camping morning completely enchanted. Can't believe I found something so perfect.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
I saw a thread from a few months ago where escape artist(?) explained how the trailer’s VIN (Vehicle Information Number) can be used to find out the build order.

Darned if I can wangle the forum’s search page to reveal the results of a search for “VIN”. Perhaps I was supposed to turn clockwise three times before hitting the search button instead of counter-clockwise.

I am sure one of the experts here can provide the info on using the VIN to unearth archeological details.

[Update]: I did find a post describing the VIN here:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...html#post62439
... and this: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...html#post62452

The last three digits are a trailer build sequence number.

Gratz on the new adventure!!
Old 11-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Congrats on you joining the club.

Hope we meet up with you during 2021 here on the Island. We didn't have much opportunity this past season, but we hope to be exploring in March/April.

"BumNut" - clearly there's a story behind it.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post

"BumNut" - clearly there's a story behind it.
Yes,

As our trailers are definitely “egg like” we searched for a suitable nickname.

Having spent nearly a decade living down unda’...

“Bumnut” is Aussie slang for an egg.

Cheers
Old 11-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
I saw a thread from a few months ago where escape artist(?) explained how the trailer’s VIN (Vehicle Information Number) can be used to find out the build order.

Darned if I can wangle the forum’s search page to reveal the results of a search for “VIN”. Perhaps I was supposed to turn clockwise three times before hitting the search button instead of counter-clockwise.

I am sure one of the experts here can provide the info on using the VIN to unearth archeological details.

[Update]: I did find a post describing the VIN here:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...html#post62439
... and this: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...html#post62452

The last three digits are a trailer build sequence number.

Gratz on the new adventure!!
Thanks for those links Camp4528, some good information in there.

Looks like the build numbers are sequential regardless of model?

Last three digits are “226” so I would have no idea where that would put my E19 for 2009.

It doesn’t really matter, was just wanting to get an idea of how early this E19 was in the whole scheme of E19’s it actually is.

I’ve checked out the new E19’s at Escape’s shop/showroom and they are quite different in the little details/options but “feel” much the same as the ol’ bumnut.

They really are a quality unit given what’s currently on offer from the likes of Jayco etc...

Cheers
Old 11-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Reace n Tammy's demo unit they brought to Bandon, I'm assuming was #1, had the bunk option since they had their kiddos along.
If you don't have the bunk supports glassed in on each side of the dinette it won't be the one they were demoing.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Reace n Tammy's demo unit they brought to Bandon, I'm assuming was #1, had the bunk option since they had their kiddos along.
If you don't have the bunk supports glassed in on each side of the dinette it won't be the one they were demoing.
Previous owners didn’t buy the demo unit, as I understand, they ordered a new build which may have been the first one ordered/completed.

They did send a copy of the option list for this E19. Interesting to see that bathroom window and fan weren’t options at that time. No solar either.

It was more curiosity than anything as to the build number.

Although I was wondering what those bumps under the vinyl on the walls in the dinette might be and that would make sense for the bunk reinforcements.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
CC407702-0213-46B3-A67F-056C94C2BFBE.jpg  
Old 11-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The 13s 15’s and 17s figure into the sequence of serial numbers too. Our 21 was built in the fall of 2013 and was the 766th Escape built. Since there was a block of Escapes built and sold as an introductory release and we have met and talked to several other owners whose Escapes were part of this “offering” we know ours was the 6th 21 built and sold. I had a nice conversation with Reace on this at the Escape rally in May of 2019. Along with comparing numbers with a couple other owners who were at the rally i feel confident on our “vintage sequence”. We know numbers 3,5,6,7 on the 21s. In addition there were three 21 “prototypes” according to Reace, not figuring into our calculation of sequence. Wish I could help you more. Just understand that the serial numbers are not “specific” to a particular model but to the overall builds.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We know numbers 3,5,6,7 on the 21s.
Dave&Kathie own number 8.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I’m sure we’ll be making the new addition “our own” and this forum is a wealth of modifications and information I didn’t even know I needed... until I see it.
Welcome Kirk. The classic 19’s are great trailers. I’m only a little biased.
If you want to peruse some mods that have made a huge difference in the function of our 2010 then check out this thread:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...con-12996.html

Oh and did you confirm that the frame recall work was done? There are actually two for the early 19’s - the first was mending plates welded on the outside where the front “A” meets the straight frame rails and then another with square steel tube welded underneath. Let me know if you need any more info.