New couple from Ohio - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
New couple from Ohio

We just ordered a 21 footer last week and got our deposit in and looking at a August 30th delivery next year. I've been lurking on this site for several months and finally joined awhile back. There's so much great info available here. I'm sure we'll have questions before the build sheet goes in. We've been spending a lot of hours scouring the site for answers already. I've noticed some people pick up their trailers in Washington vs at the factory. Is that because they don't have passports? We don't have passports and are planning on state side pickup. Was just wondering.Thank you in advance for any help in the future.
Grump
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
US citizens pick up the trailer, i. e., take possession, in Sumas, Washington, because ETI exports the trailer and gets it through customs without issue. But you would still have to go to Chilliwack for the orientation--or maybe you don't want an orientation? You can cross the border with an enhanced driver's license (at least in Washington State) without having a passport. EDLs are cheaper than passports but I don't know if Ohio has them or not.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We'll be picking up our 19 in Nov and we just turned in the applications for passport cards. They are less expensive than passports and are good for land, sea to CA, Mexico and Caribbean. It takes about 4-6 weeks to get them back after you apply so leave some cushion.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Welcome aboard. Go Buckeye's!

A passport card at $30 will work. It is much cheaper than regular passport at $110. If you have Ohio or 21' questions give me a yell.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Welcome Larry. As Karen explained, the main reason why they pick up in Sumas is that Escape builds the trailer solely for export - and they export it. That way, the trailer isn't subject to the normal taxes/duties/etc that it would be if it were built for sale in Canada. You just orient there at Escape, leave without it, and meet the driver on the US side. There have also been several cases where the US buyer could not enter Canada for whatever reason (no passport or perhaps a DUI somewhere in their past, etc) and still picked up in Sumas. You'd just miss the orientation at Escape - which is one of the highlights of the trip.

If you don't have a passport, apply for one now. You certainly don't want to miss the orientation at Escape, and meeting all the fine folks there, just because you didn't get a passport.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I do not agree that the orientation is one of the highlights of the trip. In our case the orientation was done by Dennis, who also delivered the trailer across the border. Other than weather issues he could have done the orientation in the parking lot of Burger Barn in Sumas.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: We noticed a couple of minor issues at orientation that required the trailer to be at ETI to be rectified. Also Dennis, Tammy's Dad, adjusted the hitch slightly on the truck for the new 5.0TA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140603_134109.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I do not agree that the orientation is one of the highlights of the trip.
Well, I guess yours was different from ours. We got to see Reace and Tammy, even a quick factory tour with the wife, picked up some bling, met Barb and several others we'd been corresponding with, and also got to enjoy some great food and beautiful country. Definitely a highlight for us.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There have also been several cases where the US buyer could not enter Canada for whatever reason (no passport or perhaps a DUI somewhere in their past, etc) and still picked up in Sumas.
And they ALWAYS know, so answer the C-I official honestly; see: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...h-dui-offenses. My niece was crossing with five others to go on a dive trip. "Anyone ever been arrested?" No. It turns out one of them had been arrested more than twenty years ago for some stupid college prank and had simply forgotten it. Law enforcement hadn't. Did that cost them some time inside. Yes, a lot.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Passport

Great to hear another Escape is coming to the upper midwest. I would encourage you to get a passport so you can conveniently attend any Canadian rallies before or after your Escape is ready for pickup. Plus you may want to go back west and into Canada at a later date to visit the incredible Canadian Rockies or other great Canadian locations. Having the passport in your pocket allows you to think outside the box. Best of luck to you. Go Bucks. Two of my three kids are graduates of THE.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
or other great Canadian locations. Having the passport in your pocket allows you to think outside the box.
Like the Osoyoos rally maybe?

Have to do the orientation at ETI? No. However, its a big bonus to have the whole factory right there if "something ain't right" on delivery. Not that most things can't be shipped ....
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Yes, we had a very good time at Osoyoos. Sounds like the recent rally in Manitoba was a good one and I have been looking forward to next month's Wine Escape at Niagara Falls Ontario since I left last year. And there are more.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Ditto to skiman! Cool to have another Ohioan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Old 08-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grump View Post
...I've noticed some people pick up their trailers in Washington vs at the factory. Is that because they don't have passports? We don't have passports and are planning on state side pickup. ... Grump
Another big advantage of driving that extra hour from Sumas, over the border to the Chilliwack factory, is the opportunity to take driving lessons with Valley Driving School. Even thought I have had experience driving a boat trailer, I learned a ton of useful information. They are just a door or two down the road from the ETI factory.

Their time slots fill fast so don't wait until the last minute to book a lesson.

--
Alan
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #15

Thank you for reminding me, Alan. I thought after pulling my friend's boat and horse trailer, I had a handle on it. But reading that you learned a ton after pulling a boat trailer makes me think it will be worth it to take the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Another big advantage of driving that extra hour from Sumas, over the border to the Chilliwack factory, is the opportunity to take driving lessons with Valley Driving School. Even thought I have had experience driving a boat trailer, I learned a ton of useful information. They are just a door or two down the road from the ETI factory.

Their time slots fill fast so don't wait until the last minute to book a lesson.

--
Alan
Old 08-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Thank you for reminding me, Alan. I thought after pulling my friend's boat and horse trailer, I had a handle on it. But reading that you learned a ton after pulling a boat trailer makes me think it will be worth it to take the class.
It was a small boat trailer, single axle, no electric brakes, no need for a special hitch.

Now I'm pulling an Escape 21 which is a different beast altogether, so I had a lot to learn. But that said, the instructor said something like "Well, obviously you don't need lessons in backing up." I'm glad I remembered that part...

--
Alan
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #17

Well, from my two short towing experiences, backing up was definitely the most difficult part. So . . . good going!

(I just sent an email to Valley Driving to make an appointment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
It was a small boat trailer, single axle, no electric brakes, no need for a special hitch.

Now I'm pulling an Escape 21 which is a different beast altogether, so I had a lot to learn. But that said, the instructor said something like "Well, obviously you don't need lessons in backing up." I'm glad I remembered that part...

--
Alan
Old 08-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post

A passport card at $30 will work. It is much cheaper than regular passport at $110. If you have Ohio or 21' questions give me a yell.
You're right Carl, much cheaper - as long as you remember they're only good for land and sea entries - not air.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Maybe find out about your licence plate and insurance as well.

Some one once told me they couldn't get a plate from their state, even a temporary one, because the trailer wasn't there yet.

I don't know what people do...
Old 08-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Maybe find out about your licence plate and insurance as well.

Some one once told me they couldn't get a plate from their state, even a temporary one, because the trailer wasn't there yet.

I don't know what people do...
Ohio is really easy. PM for details.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote