new cult member questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
a&e

Trailer: '21 Escape 19
new cult member questions

OK, I'm just giving you all a hard time . Maybe 'dedicated members' would be a fairer description...

Anyway, my wife and I've been lurking the last week or so and researching as much as possible before taking the plunge from tent camping with our kids to getting an Escape. I think the smell of our pubescent children's feet after a few days of camping kind of pushed us over the edge.

We've settled on probably a 17A (with outdoor shower to address the aforementioned stinky feet issue) but possibly a 19, but I did have a couple questions that I could not find via the search function - but be forewarned, that could well be due to operator error, or just simply that I'm experiencing information overload and have gotten a bit muddled. So my questions are:

1) I've seen 19A referenced as something that Escape could do. Does anyone here actually have a 19A and could provide some insight?

2) Due to the border closing with between Canada and its virulent neighbors to the south, I've seen mention of brokers who could facilitate a transaction if we were to buy something used. Has anyone here ever done that?

We're in Oregon and debating a new 17A vs used 19. Not in any particular hurry but we figured if we don't buy within the next couple weeks we might as well wait until fall/winter since at that point we wouldn't use it until next spring anyway.

Lots of great info here - thank you all for being generous with your time!
a&e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
On point #2 someone just reported on FiberglassRV forum that they bought an Escape in Canada and had a broker bring it over the border. You could likely get details from them.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
a&e

Trailer: '21 Escape 19
Thanks for pointing me to that forum! I pm'd the poster and am sharing the highlights of that message below, for anyone else who may be interested:

- Used BorderBuddy as broker. (I checked out website and used their calculator; looks like about $600 for a trailer valued at $30K US)
- proofread VIN and address!
- Hired BC towing company to bring it across to the US.
- tower must have a 7501 stamped at customs, make sure you contact your state DOT about forms you must get from seller.
- need temp tag and registration from your state DOT and send copies to owner
- cost poster about $1,100 in broker, towing and personal travel cost.

So...no one out there with a 19A? I suppose that would be a limited sub-niche?
a&e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by a&e View Post
1) I've seen 19A referenced as something that Escape could do. Does anyone here actually have a 19A and could provide some insight?
A large(r) trailer without a shower is very much a niche market. Yes, ETI has built a 19A.

Here's a thread: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...room-3815.html

I'm leaving in a few days for 9 glorious days of camping in an Oregon State Park. The showers are NOT open. Who knows if/when OSP will open the showers. Love the fact I have a shower in my trailer, I don't want to go 9 days without one YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
We just stayed last week in two OR state parks, Memaloose and Deschutes River. In contrast to what we’d seen on the website, both of them had the showers open. We also saw some empty spots that were available for people just showing up, while the website had said ‘Reservations Only’.

We’ve been loving our new 17A! The lack of a bathroom means that the trailer feels very roomy and functional for its small size. I love how easily it fits in the driveway beside our house, behind a gate.

I think those of us who don’t want a bathroom in the trailer are a small niche and we know who we are :-). I feel that should we ever want a bathroom, we’d have to go up to probably a 21’ Escape to have the same functionality of the rest of the trailer.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
We just stayed last week in two OR state parks, Memaloose and Deschutes River. In contrast to what we’d seen on the website, both of them had the showers open. We also saw some empty spots that were available for people just showing up, while the website had said ‘Reservations Only’.
You're right, my bad. Oregon State Parks with open showers and whether they allow First come, first serve rather than Reservations Only is on a park-by-park basis. Just glad I don't have to worry whether any of the facilities are open. Love the one you're with!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
My May trip the campground had the restrooms closed, dumpsters taped and no tents. My June trip to the same campground the restrooms were open, dumpsters open, and about 25% tents. Moved to a Federal Campground the second half and restrooms were open and about half tents for upcoming 4th of July weekend. Both campgrounds were at capacity, and restrooms didn't matter, because public bathrooms are totally out for me right now.

Unfortunately, with AZ being #1 in the world for per capita Covid cases, we should already be closed back down but it's inevitable that the state will have to be closed soon.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Enjoy your trip Donna, it sounds like it is well deserved.

If you have tiny feet running around then they probably have accidents from time to time. Having a toilet for emergencies is nice. It's also nice for resale value.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
For sure if it had been just me, I probably would have gone the 17A route. I think if a person gets the water heater and outside shower, it's totally possible to make it work with one of those small privacy tents designed for this purpose. If not, a solar shower or bucket can always be used.

That said, I have to admit to being very happy with my 19, along with the bathroom. There is a lot to be said for not having to leave your shelter when needing to make those night time trips. And the option to shower off sweat and bug spray at the end of the day, without having to deal with water heating and supply is pretty darn nice. Also, I can't even begin to count the number of times in my life I've taken a bucket sponge bath or solar shower outside while fighting off biting insects. With the shower enclosed inside the trailer, this is just not an issue.

And probably best of all, in the age of COVID19 having your own bathroom saves you from having to use public restrooms, both while camping and en route. I think the the last thing I'd want to do now is use a public restroom or outhouse in a campground, no matter now clean it looked. Having your own bathroom means you can truly quarantine while traveling. Of course, this is also possible with a 17A equipped with the outside shower and a porta potty, it's just a bit more of a hassle.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 19'
All I can say is please keep posting. We need your kind of wit.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 E19
Don't forget to pack plenty of beer, Donna!
Old 07-13-2020, 12:46 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Donna, we just spent a week at East Davis Lake off the Cascades Lakes National Scenic Byway. Only pit toilets, no water. But the place is beautiful with bald eagles, water fowl, and other birds. Lots of nice hikes nearby as well. Only downside was the mosquitos.

Very glad for our solar and onboard shower! Enjoy your trip!!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote