New Escape 17B order pending for Scamp 16 owners - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
New Escape 17B order pending for Scamp 16 owners

My partner and I have just made the decision to make an Escape from our ancient and beloved Scamp 16. We, mostly he, have made zillions of mods to the Scamp, so it is very quirky. It will be distinctly odd to have a standard travel trailer, but also very luxurious for us. We will no longer be showing off our unique little house.

A few questions:
Just looking at the Build Sheet, does Escape Inc. have more than one standard upholstery fabric? Partner doesn't like their Formica pattern, but that is easy to replace. I sewed all our Scamp's upholstery, and figure I'll replace the upholstery once it and/or the foam the new Escape comes with needs replacement, probably a few years.

How dark are the tinted windows? I'm potentially not happy that I won't be able to see the landscape clearly. Anything to be troubled about?

Our delivery date is set for Sept. 6. We'll take another Scamp trip before that. There are, of course, repairs to the Scamp in progress. That's the way it is with a 30 year-old trailer!
Aspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspinner View Post
My partner and I have just made the decision to make an Escape from our ancient and beloved Scamp 16. We, mostly he, have made zillions of mods to the Scamp, so it is very quirky. It will be distinctly odd to have a standard travel trailer, but also very luxurious for us. We will no longer be showing off our unique little house.

A few questions:
Just looking at the Build Sheet, does Escape Inc. have more than one standard upholstery fabric? Partner doesn't like their Formica pattern, but that is easy to replace. I sewed all our Scamp's upholstery, and figure I'll replace the upholstery once it and/or the foam the new Escape comes with needs replacement, probably a few years.

How dark are the tinted windows? I'm potentially not happy that I won't be able to see the landscape clearly. Anything to be troubled about?

Our delivery date is set for Sept. 6. We'll take another Scamp trip before that. There are, of course, repairs to the Scamp in progress. That's the way it is with a 30 year-old trailer!
While they have made minor changes in the stock fabric, floor & counter colors & patterns over the years, there is only one choice. If you want something different, for an additional charge they will install your choice of materials. The thread covers some of the options.

I don't notice the tint on the windows, at least from the inside. It could be my 73 year old eyes, but I am a photographer.

Welcome to the Escape family!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
We will no longer be showing off our unique little house....

A few questions:
Welcome! But whoa on the first comment as you will still be showing off your new Escape to many people as they generate a lot of interest.

ETI will add an upcharge for customer-supplied upholstery fabric. You can also chose a different Formica-brand laminate (for an additional charge) for the counters. See the Options list on the ETI website.

Again, welcome to the Escape world and to the forum.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I bet close to 80% of all people who buy an Escape trailer choose custom upholstery, Formica and flooring... in that order. It's the thing that really stands out and makes each trailer unique to the owner... along with the exterior decal color. It only took me five long months to find the upholstery fabric I wanted and it had to ship (by boat) from Hawaii. So plan ahead!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I bet close to 80% of all people who buy an Escape trailer choose custom upholstery, Formica and flooring... in that order.
Oh man, once again I'm the minority. Factory upholstery,
Formica and flooring. I've made it unique in other ways.

Quote:

I take a lot of photos through the glass. You can still see the rainbow colors so I'm guessing that the tint doesn't do much to outward visibility. I'm really glad to have the tint because of the privacy if someone walks but close to you. Easy to see out, difficult to see in.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0024_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #6

With regard to the tinted windows, seeing outside is not an issue in my opinion. This picture shows a regular window and a non-opening window comparing the visibility of a window with and without a screen. Granted, these are the old style awning types but the principle of visibility lost with a screen is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
WindowComparison.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 01-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
started the search for fabrics

Thanks to all who sent encouragement! We've started the search for fabrics, and know where we'll go for Formica once the fabric samples come in. You're right, of course. We have to make it ours, and color is the main way I do that, anywhere. Having spent many months living in our Scamp 16, we've learned that less is more... to a point. It will be great to have a full-time bathroom (don't ask) and other conveniences.
Aspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you call Formica, they will send you much bigger samples than you can get in a store.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thanks to all who sent encouragement! We've started the search for fabrics, and know where we'll go for Formica once the fabric samples come in. You're right, of course. We have to make it ours, and color is the main way I do that, anywhere. Having spent many months living in our Scamp 16, we've learned that less is more... to a point. It will be great to have a full-time bathroom (don't ask) and other conveniences.
We lived with the Escape colors for 3plus years then did our thing . That way we could spend funds on things we wanted done at the factory and have more money to do those options which start to add up . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There is nothing wrong if you choose to buy an ETI built trailer with the standard upholstery, Formica or flooring!

I know Tammy and Reace on a personal level and have told Tammy I can't even imagine the disagreements when trying to choose these items for the masses and there's NO divorce at the end.

ETI has figured this out, there is nothing "wrong" with the default spec items. Pillows, rugs, and bed coverings can make any trailer... your own.

Make memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #11

We have no way of knowing here with what seems like one or two percent of trailers or maybe five for which photos are shown, if most people get standard. If you have standard fabric and flooring, you can live with that a while and have time to decide what you might like for a change later. We lived with it far too long and then made changes. Glad we changed!!
Old 01-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I just completed my build sheet a couple weeks ago for a 17A--all in about 3.5 weeks. I ended up with fabric from fabric.com and had it shipped directly to ETI--it arrived pretty quickly. I will also order some extra to keep...it was fairly inexpensive so don't know how it will wear. Ordered flooring from Pioneer in Chiliwac and just gave ETI the name of the Formica I wanted. I did what someone suggested above and ordered 5x7 samples from Formica which also came to me quickly. It was pretty intense but now I'm glad it didnt drag on. Have fun dreaming! (Home Depot had a big string of a LOT of Formica patterns, many more than were on display--then I ordered the ones I was interested in.)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We have no way of knowing here with what seems like one or two percent of trailers or maybe five for which photos are shown, if most people get standard. If you have standard fabric and flooring, you can live with that a while and have time to decide what you might like for a change later. We lived with it far too long and then made changes. Glad we changed!!
Hi Cathy us too but the dinette has been a work in progress almost from the beginning .Really thank Laura for the push to put some color finally in the trailer and love it every time we enter .But also glad we didn't at first to have funds for other things at first . Pat
Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Cathy us too but the dinette has been a work in progress almost from the beginning .Really thank Laura for the push to put some color finally in the trailer and love it every time we enter .But also glad we didn't at first to have funds for other things at first . Pat
Yes, and we thought the standard was fine for a while, but after a long time with them, needed something else! The standards are basically for hiding stains or spots, it seems, but not necessarily what one would really like. Also, since fabric is available that is good for condensation, that is another plus for something new. I also wanted to be able to see the spots on counters that needed cleaning up.

Yours look great, Pat! That kind of turquoise is popular in Escapes.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #15

Quote:
If you have standard fabric and flooring, you can live with that a while and have time to decide what you might like for a change later.
Quote:
The standards are basically for hiding stains or spots, it seems, but not necessarily what one would really like.
This might come as a real shock but I like the standard items. The only thing that I like to change is my location. Quite frankly some of the changes in color etc. posted have underwhelmed me. But, as in for many items we all have different tastes. But I'm sure that I'm not the only one living with the factory offering and not hoping that I can change it to something better in the future.

Ron
Old 01-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
This might come as a real shock but I like the standard items.
Me, too. While I didn't dislike the laminate or flooring, I did opt for colors that were more to my liking. I still like the stock upholstery fabric after five years (!); it's held up remarkably well as I see absolutely no deterioration.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #17

Quote:
This might come as a real shock but I like the standard items. The only thing that I like to change is my location. Quite frankly some of the changes in color etc. posted have underwhelmed me. But, as in for many items we all have different tastes. But I'm sure that I'm not the only one living with the factory offering and not hoping that I can change it to something better in the future.

Ron
I would not say that I did not like them but probably just did not care about them that much, and was more focused on the trailer in general than those items for a while. After living in the trailer for eight months' worth, I definitely wanted to see the opposite of what was there. And that is what we have. Most people probably do not use their Escapes as much as we do. That can make a big difference. But then I also detect that perhaps many men are not quite as interested in the decor since we see a lot of women making such comments. We also see the men saying that the women often chose such items or even made them. We have seen some of those great things.

And as I tried to say, we do not know if, in fact, most people go with the standard and like it very well. We seem to usually see the people who make other choices. You may be in the majority.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:45 AM   #18

Quote:

Ron
Come on Ron you said you liked our choices . Anyway kept the same Formica in the kitchen area , just changed the edging . When we changed the fabric out the Formica table just didn't look right anymore . Teal is my favorite color anyway. Pat
Old 01-06-2018, 01:06 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I went with all the standard surfaces. I've noticed after almost ten years, that my seat at the front dinette is quite a bit darker than the seat on Leslie's side.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Come on Ron you said you liked our choices .
And I do, honest. But some folks taste is definitely different than mine. But then, if I'd had to choose those 3 items myself, I'd have probably gone with the same 3 that ETI did.

Ron

Tags
upholstery choices, window tint