New Escape 19 in Pennsylvania - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... it's a Notta NOG. You're welcome to join us. (And that goes for anyone else too!)
Notta NOG: does that mean that it IS actually 'organized'

Sounds like as much fun as Ft. Stevens was. Maybe in a year+ when we're all retired.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Ditto! Counting the days until May 1, 2016!!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Notta NOG: does that mean that it IS actually 'organized'

Sounds like as much fun as Ft. Stevens was. Maybe in a year+ when we're all retired.
It means it's even less organized, if that's possible. I should probably name this one a FOC. Friends Out Camping. Come meet the FOCkers
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #44

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Hi, We will be picking up our 21' the end of May 2016 and we are from near Hershey, PA. We were wondering what you are going to do about PA registration/tag? Do you plan to tow it back and get it registered when you return or have you made some other arrangements? Thanks, Tim and Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfnjan View Post
We've been lurking on this and the Fiberglassrv forums for quite some time and are now near final commitment on our Escape 19 purchase (Finish date Jan 5, 2016). I've found lots of good information from other builds and discussions on the pro/cons of various options. Here's our current build list:

2 way hot water tank
Stainless steel stove (2-burner), sink, etc.
6.7 CF Refrigerator
Additional 12V/USB outlet by bed
150W solar panel
Removable power cord
Opening window over sink
Opening window in bathroom
Extra insulation/thermal windows
Vertical LED Brake lights
LED Awning strip (new feature, seems like fun)
Air conditioner with digital thermostat
Maxxfan with remote 7500K (Smoke) Upgrade
Cabinet door at end of bench
2 drawers under closet
2 shelves in wardrobe closet
Exterior shower
Exterior propane quick connect
Spray foam under trailer
Storage box

Sticking to the stock fabric and flooring options because it's just too much work to pick out custom ones. Keeping exterior graphics toned down (medium gray and eliminating "Escape 19" on front rock guard). I figure I can always add custom graphics to the tire cover and/or rock guard later.

Like others on the forum, we're moving up from tent camping and still want to live mostly outdoors, using the trailer as a safe secure place for the night and in bad weather. Since we live on the east coast, we'll probably need to use the AC more than a heater and expect to stay in both full hook-up campgrounds or no-hookup state/national parks.

Retirement for us starts at the end of 2015 and we'll be making the long trek out to Chiliwac to pick the trailer in early January. We'll take the long way home along the West Coast, Arizona, NM, Texas, visiting friends and family along the way, and arriving back home in New Freedom, PA, at the end of March.

We do hope to attend some of the upcoming rallies, including the fiberglass trailer rally in Quartzsite in Feb 2016. Hope to meet some of you along the way.

Wolf and Jan Michalke
Tow Vehicle: 2015 Toyota Highlander
Tim and Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tim and Cathy,
You will need to have the trailer physically here in Pennsylvania for the VIN to be verified by DMV. I use Brimmer's tag and title services in York for past 8 years.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:14 AM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2015
That answers a question I had about tag/title as well. I was hoping to get the tags based on the paperwork ETI provides. Guess not. Thanks for the info.
wolfnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA - 2016 Toyota Tundra '1794'
Send a message via Skype™ to SterJen
Final Count Down

We are choosing the options for our 19 footer. Our delivery date is Feb. 28th 2016 and we are excited to hit the road.
Thanks Wolfnjan for posting your build list.
I would like to hear from other owners about the following options (pro/cons):
  • Oven,
  • Spray Foam Insulation,
  • Foot Flush Toilet,
  • 2-way Hot Water Tank,
  • 6.7 cu ft Fridge
Where do you put your microwave if you choose the 6.7 fridge?

We're looking forward to hearing from you experienced travelers
SterJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sterjen,

We personally don't use oven, even much at the house. Didn't need the spray foam, but did get the thermal/insul package. Did get the foot flush, not bending over gets to be more of a premium. 6.7 Fridge, cause we'll eventually be full time. I had the 2 way previously and never used it. Mostly run HW on the pilot light only and plenty of hot water.
If you look at our build pics this week in the It's Friday post you'll see where they move the microwave to under the stove.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Oven; depends on how much you think you'll use it. We had them for 30 years in boats and never used them. Didn't get one for the trailer.

Spray foam insulation; didn't get, depends on your anticipated usage. I take it you're getting the double glazed windows. They are worth having.

Foot flush toilet; only "regret" in option choice. Wish I'd gotten it.

2 way hot water; we've used it both ways, worth keeping the option open for us.

4.3 fridge; a little crowded but OK. I guess bigger's always better.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:18 PM   #50

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Like Greg, we don't use an oven when camping so didn't get one in this trailer, it's a personal choice. We had one before and never used it, but then we're into fast simple meals. If you like to spend the time getting more involved meals ready, as many do, go for it. You gain a storage cabinet if you go without. On a side note, if you go without an oven you can get a 2 burner stove. Deb wanted the 3 burner but we have yet to need the 3rd burner, 2 would have sufficed. I don't think she would have wanted to go with the sideways install though.

Spray foam, nice to have when the temps drop to freezing or less at night but not for real deep northern winter use. You'd need heat pads and tapes for that. We have it, mixed feelings on if it is worth the $, guess it does cut down on exterior noise a bit and probably keeps the floor warmer. Going to be a bear if I have to work on something down there.

Foot Flush, again personal choice. We've had both and prefer the foot flush but then our hand flush toilet sat lower to the floor then this one. Not a big deal one way or the other, they both work.

2-way HW tank. Have had both gas only and the 2-way. I like the 2-way , but again it's not a big deal ether way. Gas seems to heat faster then electric. For the amount of gas it uses you're not saving a heck of a lot when on electric. Not a bad spot to save a few $ if you're looking to do so.

6.7 fridge, don't have the 19'er so the 6.7 is standard for us, it's okay. Big enough for a weeks worth of frozen meats and such, the fridge itself ends up bigger then needed once the premade meals Deb brings along on a trip are gone. I could live with a smaller, if it worked correctly.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:40 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Congrats on your 19' order!
We mostly use an oven for bread and don't want to take the time on the road. There is the alternative of taking some kind of little toaster oven which a few people do.

We have the spray foam and it makes the trailer warmer. Can tell the difference from our last Escape.

Neither of us wanted the foot flush.

Would not do without the 2-way water heater. When plugged in, you are paying for electric so might as well use it. Your propane can be saved for the furnace. Some people use their propane on everything that takes it and that is what they are used to. This is one of the situations where the answers you get are based on whether people are mostly boondockers or mostly at campgrounds with hookups. We expect to boondock more but have not yet, so we are used to using the electric when we have it.

I really like the 6.7 refrigerator. It is so much nicer than the last refrigerator and works better. The amount of propane used for it is not great and, of course, it is on electric if we are plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterJen View Post
We are choosing the options for our 19 footer. Our delivery date is Feb. 28th 2016 and we are excited to hit the road.
Thanks Wolfnjan for posting your build list.
I would like to hear from other owners about the following options (pro/cons):
  • Oven,
  • Spray Foam Insulation,
  • Foot Flush Toilet,
  • 2-way Hot Water Tank,
  • 6.7 cu ft Fridge
Where do you put your microwave if you choose the 6.7 fridge?

We're looking forward to hearing from you experienced travelers
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #52

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
"Once we pick up the trailer, we'll head due south into California. We understand the weather in Washington and Oregon will be quite mild (upper 40's by day, upper 30's by night)."
Wolf and Jan

While the WEST side of Washington and Oregon (I-5 corridor and coastal highways) should be relatively mild in January and February, keep in mind that Portland's record cold is-3 degrees F or -19 C. It would be advisable to stay on top of the weather forecast. We are scheduled to pick up our 19' January 29; however, will probably let the weather dictate our plans for driving from Bend.

Bob-o
Bend, Or
19' Escape (2016, January)
2008 Toyota Sequoia
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
While the WEST side of Washington and Oregon (I-5 corridor and coastal highways) should be relatively mild in January and February,

Bob-o
Bend, Or
19' Escape (2016, January)
2008 Toyota Sequoia
Hope so, we'll be heading for Quartzite and Mexico mid January. We've had a bit of snow in the passes previously but as many have said, it's a matter of watching the weather and being prepared to sit out a day of two if some really nasty stuff comes through.

Ron
Old 11-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Foot flush toilet; only "regret" in option choice. Wish I'd gotten it.
I am curious to learn your, and others, reasons behind preferring this over the hand flush. I have never used one, and fail to see the advantage of it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
It is just one of those personal preference items. It is also one of those things where someone might be used to one thing and does not see any good reason to switch as either way works fine.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Hope so, we'll be heading for Mexico
Ron
Hey Ron, just curious if you were caravanning or going it alone? Where abouts are you headed?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't have a foot flush in my sticks 'n bricks home. Leaning slightly over the bowl (with the lid down!) isn't a big deal for me. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am curious to learn your, and others, reasons behind preferring this over the hand flush. I have never used one, and fail to see the advantage of it.
Jim,

All I can tell you is that Lindy loves the foot flush. So much so that she insisted we retrofit the trailer with a foot flush toilet, regardless of the cost. She says "It is just so easy." I have now used them both and I don't find them all that different. I would say that it must be a girl thing, but the two people that recommended a foot flush to Lindy were both guys.

I am sure if we tried hard enough, we could have a very spirited discussion on whether it is better to push the pedal or pull the lever. But I think it is strictly a matter of personal preference. However, I would recommend that you make your decision prior to sending in your build sheet....
Old 11-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I like to keep both feet on the ground.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I've had the foot flush in RV's we've delivered. Prefer it to bending over, with face close to toilet bowl, to move the lever to flush.

Mexico; plan is to do the Baja and see how it goes. If it goes well then we're contemplating doing the Caribbean coast at a later date. Yes, we know everyone's read all the horror stories about Mexico but, for Baja at least, thousands of people have been visiting it, some for many years without incident.

Caravan's just aren't for us. We've traveled the world on our own and we want to set our own pace, see what we want to see and move on when we want to move on.

Ron