New Escape owner heading out this weekend - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B (21NE F2 on order)
New Escape owner heading out this weekend

Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2012 Escape 17B locally and am about to embark on my first camping trip in the mountains with it! Spent last evening hooking up power and water, testing systems, and acquainting myself with the features and layout. Any suggestions for a first-time Escape camper are welcome.

I also rigged a simple canopy setup to go with our trailer cover and help keep the snow and hail off of our new camper. $200 on Amazon, plus about $30 in cinder blocks plus some twine and glue.

SquirrelsGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not bad, if it will hold the Colorado snow I may get one, do you have the links for the canopy?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Pre cook your bacon. The splatter is hard to clean and a hassle. take a small BBQ for the same reason.
We put alot of stuff in short, wide mouth mason jars. sugar, tea bags, butter, etc.
Take some spices for your food, miss dash chipotle is the minimum.
We take canned mushrooms and potatoes, the mushrooms last longer and don't clutter the fridge till you open them and the potatoes don't need such long boiling times, heating up the interior and adding moisture to the inside.
Take liquid 'body wash' soap, doesn't take the time to lather up.
if you take paper plates try to get ones that are not White. Wasps find white plates in seconds. Take a small bit of sliced ham and put a small bit on a white paper plate about 8 to 10 feet from where you are sitting, the wasps will keep busy with the sacrificial meat and leave you alone.
I take a roll of painters tape, it doesn't leave residue and I use it to cover the fridge leds and any other leds at night and many other uses.
Take a pop-up mosquito net tent thing.
Take nice fold up chairs.
I have a long list but these are must haves/must do's for me.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My best tip is to pack a "Sense of Humor." Go forth, have a ton of fun and make memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #5

Trailer: E 21 2018
This was our first year with a E21. Our shake down trip was a 3 night boondocking camping trip - 50 km on a gravel logging road to a FS Rec site next to a lake. I think we tested everything...!! We were interested in how the battery, fresh water, and grey water indicators changed with our use. Very instructional for longer stays. Enjoy your camping!
sehoyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not bad, if it will hold the Colorado snow I may get one, do you have the links for the canopy?
The canopy is available at https://amzn.to/2Q49FsJ. It's held up well in wind and rain, but winter will be the real test.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Question Fun trip

Just heard that a early Fall snow storm is heading towards your area..be careful:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-canada/539888
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Your 17 is spoiled already, having such a beautiful roof on top.
Congrats and lots of happy camping!
(Don’t forget to fill the propane tanks :-) )
Old 09-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Extra large micro-fiber towels - fast drying, light weight & pack small.

Matches or long-stem BBQ butane lighter.

Put some parchment (cooking) paper in the overhead lamps. That will soften the glare.

Comfortable earplugs. The furnace - which you will likely need in Colorado's high country - will be loud at night.

Some 'Epic Son-Of-A-Baptist Coffee Stout'.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I think make a list of what you want to bring and keep it on hand. When we bought our 21' right at a year ago they had a 3 page front and back laminate list of things. One page was what you do when you breakdown camp, and what you do when you get there and two pages of almost every staple item you could think of. The only page we really use is the breakdown to double check we did everything but when we start going on longer trips I think more of the staple item list will come in handy.
Have fun!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
check lists

Our check lists are made up from the factory lists plus things we added or removed as we began trailering in 2018, and a couple times the lists saved our bacon. One time we got in a hurry and 4got to attach the anti-sway bar..never missed it til we stopped for gas about 2 hrs later..towed the same w or w/o the bar, but we were not speeding nor driving in high winds. WE tow at 60-62 mph. Oh, bar was in the truck bed, not back at campground!!! ;-)

Second time was this June, I was using the check list at a "hitch-up" and as part of the check, I gave a big shake to the end of my main hitch pin...the lock end came off into my hand!! Pieces fell out onto the ground! Lock was only "13 months old" Tho the main PIN was still in, it was not being held in place and could have come out on the road trip! It was one similar to this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Connor-Tr...Lock/192934678
Any ways, we always keep a spare std hitch pin and the cotter pin for it, in the tool box, so I pulled the old pin and replaced it w a new one and a new cotter pin. Lesson learned. I will never trust a hitch pin lock like that again. Yes, I had safety chains, but dang the whole ball mount setup could have come loose from the receiver, and damaged the trailer tongue, at least. I have since learned that thugs can and sometimes DO pull the cotter pins from parked trsailers while the owners are away from their rigs at a restaurant or bathroom break..be warned. We now keep two spares.
Another thing we learned from the forums was that some folks had their "outdoor shower doors" pop open , after oh..say..they stopped along a highway for some reason and a 18 wheeler whipped by at 70 mph and apparently the suction popped the shower doors open and nobody noticed..until they saw/heard the shower head + hose disappear under the left front tire of the trailer at 65 mph..expensive. WE learned that a couple of pieces of white Gaffer Tape were all that were needed to double-secure that little 'door'..we always use that tip.
BTW, gaffer tape is GREAT for camping use..easy on, sticks well and peels off easy w no sticky residue. We use white, but it probably comes in brown and other colors too. [Music stores or Amazon etc etc. ] Have not see GT at WallyWorld, yet.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
A few things I take.

2 extra hitch pins and also 2 extra pins that go in the hitch ball lock. I usually use a paddle lock for that, but just in case.

A big hand full of zip ties.

2 big pieces of card board the size of the biggest window. I have read a few stories of RVers having a shattered window on the highway. Store the cardboard under your bed. Take a couple rolls of duct tape 2.

Tools and a multi meter, fuses too.

Christmas lights, my wife looks for our lights at night if she goes to the bathroom. Once she didn’t come back, she went the wrong way. A couple small gauge extension cords for the lights or radio.

I had a 17B. It was known for the door falling off the fridge. Mine was a 2007, not sure if it was fixed by 2012. I never kept anything in the door while traveling especially in Michigan, hump, bump, bump.......

Someone mentioned forgetting the anti sway bar, you don’t need that with an Escape, that’s a big box square corner trailer problem.

Enjoy the Escape, take near and far.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #13

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post

Christmas lights, my wife looks for our lights at night if she goes to the bathroom. Once she didn’t come back, she went the wrong way. A couple small gauge extension cords for the lights or radio.
far.
If your wife never came back, do you really need the lights? Or just a new wife with a better sense of direction?
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelsGoneWild View Post
I also rigged a simple canopy setup to go with our trailer cover and help keep the snow and hail off of our new camper. $200 on Amazon, plus about $30 in cinder blocks plus some twine and glue.
You might consider securing the canopy better to the blocks. Maybe drilling and using concrete anchors? The twine isn't very strong and is likely being weakened as it slowly rubs on the coarse edges of the blocks. It is a huge sail and if a wind gust comes through I don't want you to find it in your neighbors yard.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Remember that for every camper there is a different list of what they think important to bring. While there are some great ideas listed already, I do not do a lot of things either.

We mostly use fresh food as we love to eat good when camping. Almost no cans of any kind, as they are heavy and mostly offer not so good of food.

Even in cold weather we turn our furnace down quite a bit to minimize it running, even though the new furnaces are much quieter. We do take a nice down comforter and can add a heavy wool blanket if needed too. We are then nice and cozy down to low temps and both enjoy the fresh air to breathe.

You can have good fun while learning for yourself what best suits your camping style, and make changes as time goes on. Just use a good generic list to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My best tip is to pack a "Sense of Humor." Go forth, have a ton of fun and make memories!
Best suggested thought.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm a list maker. I love lists! I make lists for everything from grocery shopping to when I need to pay specific bills. What I no longer make a list for, is site setup and de-camping. Yes, I used those lists for a number of years. Then ONE time someone interrupted me while I was de-camping and I almost left my water hose on the picnic table! Now I do everything methodically. I've also learned to slow down a bit. It's not much fun when it's raining and I'm checking everything on the outside of the trailer, but a few extra minutes can save time and dollars later.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #17

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Pre cook your bacon. The splatter is hard to clean and a hassle. take a small BBQ for the same reason.
We put alot of stuff in short, wide mouth mason jars. sugar, tea bags, butter, etc.
Take some spices for your food, miss dash chipotle is the minimum.
We take canned mushrooms and potatoes, the mushrooms last longer and don't clutter the fridge till you open them and the potatoes don't need such long boiling times, heating up the interior and adding moisture to the inside.
Take liquid 'body wash' soap, doesn't take the time to lather up.
if you take paper plates try to get ones that are not White. Wasps find white plates in seconds. Take a small bit of sliced ham and put a small bit on a white paper plate about 8 to 10 feet from where you are sitting, the wasps will keep busy with the sacrificial meat and leave you alone.
I take a roll of painters tape, it doesn't leave residue and I use it to cover the fridge leds and any other leds at night and many other uses.
Take a pop-up mosquito net tent thing.
Take nice fold up chairs.
I have a long list but these are must haves/must do's for me.
Love these practical tips, thanks!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Always do a complete walk around right before you get in the tv. if you are interrupted or find something amiss, fix, the do another walk around.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Always do a complete walk around right before you get in the tv. if you are interrupted or find something amiss, fix, the do another walk around.
The walk around with a critical eye on the hitch setup, running lights check and a review of the list on the door frame for travel just before the door is locked (both locks) is very good advice!
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
You might consider securing the canopy better to the blocks. Maybe drilling and using concrete anchors? The twine isn't very strong and is likely being weakened as it slowly rubs on the coarse edges of the blocks. It is a huge sail and if a wind gust comes through I don't want you to find it in your neighbors yard.
We had a big wind storm come through earlier and test the strength of our canopy. As you guessed, one length of twine broke, though the rest held. The big issue turned out to be the bungie cords holding the tarp to the metal support structure, as quite a few of them snapped. No damage to the posts or the tarp itself though.

As a result, we've replaced both the twine and the bungie cords with nylon rope. Time will tell, but I anticipate that both will hold much better.