New member - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

We are looking to order either a Escape 21' or a Bigfoot 21' trailer. We own a custom ordered Bigfoot pickup camper. Actually in it currently on Oregon coast. We are going to add a trailer. Use trailer or camper depending on trip. Sold on the fiberglass construction. Two weeks ago an Escape parked next to us on another coast trip. First time we were aware of the brand.
In contacting Escape mfg. we find both brands have pluses. Now the decision process
In a perfect world we would delete dinette seating and have couch.
Tow vehicle is an immaculate 1999 dodge 2500 diesel pickup.
Thank you
Mike & Deb
Reddit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Reddit,
The unmodified rear dinette has the two longitudinal bench seats that contain the battery or batteries, and all the electrical equipment and breakers. The wrap-around dinette adds a rear window bench seat and a smaller table. There's no requirement to have a table, but you could let them include it, possibly not mounted, in case you or a later purchaser want to install it.
The best advice would be to go look at several 21's especially those with the wrap-around dinette option. Owner's get a small check for showing their trailers and most really enjoy showing them regardless of the check.
Washington has quite a few, and I assume Oregon has plenty too. Check the owners' map on this forum, or call the Escape office to help locate a few.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Owner's get a small check for showing their trailers
If showing the trailer results in a sale, and if the person looking tells ETI that the showing took place.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #4

Thank you

We looked at the pictures of the unit for sale in Anaheim. Which has I think the layout you mentioned. We like it. I think we are going to schedule a trip to the factory.
Escape about 10" narrower width, 1000 lbs. lighter and approx. $17,000 cheaper. But wet bath vs dry bath in Bigfoot. Beds are same size. Once we're inside a unit we'll know pretty quickly.
40 years ago started with VW camper vans. Today celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary
In our truck camper hiking the Oregon beaches.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddit View Post
In a perfect world we would delete dinette seating and have couch.
So you mean a couch going straight across the back, not wrapping up along the sides? That was common in old Boler and perhaps Bigfoot plans (I have it in my Boler B1700RGH, where "RG" means "Rear Gaucho"), but has never been a feature of Escape designs.

The challenge with that would primarily be the electrical equipment that Bill and Earline mentioned. It should be possible to put in a couch and re-arrange the electrical components to fit under it, but it would be a substantial variation in the process of building the trailer, so I doubt Escape Trailer Industries would do it... although it couldn't hurt to ask. You could just get the standard dinette, or the U-shaped dinette because it puts components closer to where you would want them, and replace the seating (re-mounting electrical components and probably re-wiring to some extent) after you get the trailer.

I have attached the rear part of the Boler B1700RGH floorplan, to help in understanding what a rear couch or gaucho would be like...
Attached Images

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Dang, I was just down in the Coos Bay area a few weeks ago and you could have viewed the new style 21' with the u-shaped dinette. Which works quite well for lounging/couch. We did not get the table installed. I keep one filler board and cushion in place all the time and it gives me plenty of room to stretch out and read. Both of us can stretch out at the same time, if need be.

I also wad lots of pillows on there, but the photo shows you without any.

Here's a photo of that area:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04932.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #7

Across the back

In talking on the phone w Bigfoot ,they have an 'off catalog' option for couch instead of dinette but only for 25' not 21'. For same reason I believe, to much mechanical stuff under dinette seats inthe shorter length. So with same dinettes style we'll make our choices on the whole set of features. We use pillow combinations in our pickup camper for dinette comfort , we'll probably do the same in our trailer.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
In talking on the phone w Bigfoot ,they have an 'off catalog' option for couch instead of dinette but only for 25' not 21'. For same reason I believe, to much mechanical stuff under dinette seats inthe shorter length.
Escape has lots of 'off catalog' options, too, but they're trying to cut back on them. I've never heard of replacing the dinette with a couch.

I'm sure that there would be enough space for the electrical equipment under a couch in an Escape 21', but it would be a custom configuration that the factory is now trying to avoid. If the U-shaped dinette (possibly with table omitted) would work well for you, that would certainly be the easy way to go.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #9

Thank you!

Thanks for the quick feedback. We appreciate it. Our travels range from twisty two lanes on the Oregon coast to driving to Tofino, Vancouver island to kayak to the Bowron lakes in BC to paddle. Plus we live in Central Oregon and drive over two sets of mountains to get to the coast.
Your response helps our choice a lot. Thanks especially for the photo from NW cat owner. Visually helps.
Mike & Deb
Old 10-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
We use pillow combinations in our pickup camper for dinette comfort , we'll probably do the same in our trailer.
Okay, you asked (well, not really, but I'm imagining that you did ), here's a photo of the u-shaped dinette with pillows.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05036.jpg  
Old 10-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #11

Oh, I should add that the cellular shades (you can see 'em peeking out above the dinette with pillows photo) are NOT stock from ETI. We had them leave off the stock ones and paid wads of money for the cellular shades. We really like them - they darken the trailer at night (we like it really dark when we sleep) - even in Wal-Mart parking lots while next to the outdoor lights. They also keep out more of the heat from the sun. Plus, they look way cool to us.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Our travels range from twisty two lanes on the Oregon coast to driving to Tofino, Vancouver island to kayak to the Bowron lakes in BC to paddle. Plus we live in Central Oregon and drive over two sets of mountains to get to the coast.
The Escape 21 will go just fine through that type of driving situations. Gone down the coast to Coos Bay several times this year and it was just fine. Folks behind me didn't appreciate my care on taking corners, but what the heck.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #13

19' vs 21'

I tried a forum search but didn't come up with anything. If there already is a thread on this I apologize. We will travel to the factory to look at both models this winter. If I read correctly the bed is wider on the .19' than the 21'? The u shape dinette an option on both.
Wondering if any owners compared both and chose which and why they did.
Thanks again for helping through our decision process.