NEW MEMBER: 2019 Escape 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #21

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you add a stone to the bottom of the oven (this is the one I use) it will even out the heat. I have no problem with pizzas (or blueberry pies).

As to the stove cover, I replaced mine with a cutting board from Camco. It gives you an addition couple of square feet of counter space. I've had no problem with it burning when leaving it in place using the oven. I do run the range vent when bringing the oven up to temperature to keep it from setting off my CO detector), and all the time if it is hot out.
Hey Jon... I was hoping you'd chime in (knowing that one of the reasons you upgraded your trailer was to get an oven!).
Great info... thank you. Puts my mind at ease.
Hope we bump into you someplace while we're meandering through the southwest this winter!
Old 06-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Congratulations! That looks like a great build sheet! As a relatively new Escape owner, I have several regrets on options I did not choose. These include the removable power cord, extra USB outlets, extra 12-volt outlet outside driver's side, and the outside shower. Similar to you, I got the air conditioner but am not sure we'll ever use it We have boondocked 100% since purchasing our 19, and even in hot weather the trailer has been comfortable with the exhaust fan on and a small 12-volt fan to keep air moving. Similarly, the surge protector/EMS seems quite unnecessary now, as we've never plugged the trailer in anywhere but at home. Foregoing the A/C and EMS would have saved us thousands, although certainly if we ever sell the trailer these items will probably help. As for the power awning, we have it and like it, but truth be told, had the manual awning been an option when we purchased, I probably would have gotten it instead, for the very reasons you mention. I do love the convenience and sleek look though. Purchase of the solar panel and dual 6-volt batteries was a no-brainer. I can't overstate how wonderful it is not to have to worry about running out of power, and not to have to buy a generator and haul it (and fuel to run it) every time we camp. Other options I got that we both love (which ironically a lot of folks argue against!) are the oven, stereo, and LED light strip under the awning. We love the convenience of heating up a frozen lasagna in the oven (among other things), and listening to quiet music in the evening under the awning with the LED light strip illuminated really sets up a nice ambiance. BTW, lighting the pilot in the oven is ridiculously easy .
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I find the oven pilot is quite easy to light with one of those 'wind proof' long lighters. I do have to sit on the floor to do it, almost lying down so I can see what I'm doing. left hand holds the knob in, right hand reaches in with the long lighter, and you only have to hold the button a few seconds after the pilot lights for it to stay lit.

I suggest caution with what you put in the oven for transport... trailers can bounce around pretty darn hard when on the road, and anything heavy in that oven could damage the copper thermostat pipe that goes up the back side. We've taken to putting most of our pots and pans and such in 4-gallon (square) milk crates that we put on the floor when traveling, and stow the pots in the cabinets once we arrive... the milk crates either get tossed in the truck when we're at camp, or slid under the trailer.

btw, that oven, a 'quarter sheet' baking pan fits perfectly, like https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-N.../dp/B000RYPHRK

we put aluminum foil down on the baking pan to aid in cleanup and save water.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Hey Jon... I was hoping you'd chime in (knowing that one of the reasons you upgraded your trailer was to get an oven!).
Darn right he needed that oven. He was able to double his output of blueberry pies at Q'site.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2110190_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Darn right he needed that oven. He was able to double his output of blueberry pies at Q'site.

Ron
We ordered one of the pizza stones but were a little concerned with how heavy it was, potentially bouncing around in the oven (didn't want to have to store it elsewhere) so we used a baking sheet on the oven bottom as a heat barrier and found that we got good results baking cookies and brownies, no burning on the bottom.

But it's hard to argue with a good pie!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
As a relatively new Escape owner, I have several regrets on options I did not choose. These include the removable power cord, extra USB outlets, extra 12-volt outlet outside driver's side, and the outside shower.
If you are handy these can all be added. I have done all of these in fact.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...con-12996.html
Old 06-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
As a relatively new Escape owner, I have several regrets on options I did not choose. These include the removable power cord, extra USB outlets, extra 12-volt outlet outside driver's side, and the outside shower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If you are handy these can all be added. I have done all of these in fact.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...con-12996.html
I agree. I didn't order the removable power cord this time because there's more room to store it in the 21. But I've changed from fixed to removable previously and if I don't like the non-removable cord I'll change it. No biggie.

Things like extra USB outlets and power outlets are a dime a dozen on ebay. I add them where I want them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolongo View Post
After several years of debating the purchase of a trailer we finally decided to take the next step. On June 7 we placed the deposit on a new 2019 Escape 21 trailer, and over the next 5 days completed the "build sheet" to seal the deal.

Many thanks to all forum contributors for providing an abundance of info related to option selections, including opinions on items such as manual or power awning, certainly a hot topic for debate.

We're not sure where, or what type of camping we'll end up doing on a regular basis, but here's a summary of where we ended up in respect to options:

Maple interior: liked the new modern look, not that we wouldn't have been fine with oak.
Two way hot water tank: just made sense.
Foot flush toilet & shut off valve.
Exterior shower: also added a second outside shower on passenger side so that we can setup outdoor kitchen area.
Dual 6V batteries.
1500W Inverter, complete with transfer switch to power all outlets.
170W Solar panel with charge controller: this seemed like a "no brainer" option to us.
Surge protector.
Removable power cord: hopefully we don't lose it, or leave it behind.
Air conditioner: this is the one option we really didn't want, but felt down the road we may feel different, especially when, or if we were to sell the trailer.
Extra insulation and framed windows: we opted for this style of windows as we felt the frameless windows may really restrict airflow in the trailer.
Aluminum rim package: why not.
Manual awning: of all the decisions this one, (well maybe fabric choice), caused us the most concern. We went back on forth on manual vs power, read as many posts as we could, but eventually decided on the manual. Why? Because we live in the Pacific Northwest, and given the variable weather it made sense to us to have the ability for several awning positions to block the wind, rain and sun. I've also read that it may be more difficult to inspect the power awing for debris when storing, including cleaning when necessary. I don't have an opinion on this, just trying to make the best decision based on the information in front of me.
Power tongue jack: one less thing to crank.
Added one exterior hatch under dinette: seemed like the right thing to do for possible storage of our outside kitchen items, really don't know at this point.
Exterior propane quick connect.
Storage box: general opinion on the forum seems to be that this box is very useful, can't disagree.
Converted the bench seat to "U" shaped dinette.
Zamp Solar port: you never know.
Custom fabric.

Well, that's about it, waiting game now as our completion date is not until early September. Lot's to do in the meantime, such as ready my tow vehicle for towing, really just a brake check. We kayak, so that's the reason we stuck with a pull behind as opposed to a 5th wheel as that would limit our options. Also, still need to decide on best choices for accessories such as wheel chocks, sewer hoses, etc.

See you all out on the road!

Mike & Nancy
Thank you for your post. It is very helpful.
We are about a month away from ordering an Escape 21 or a Lance 1685.
Tom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
Stay away from Lance, I had 2 of them and both were lemons. I had a 1880 with roof issues and a 1575 with slide issues.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #30

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
We were looking seriously at the Lance 1685 as well... looks like a nice rig (Jim's feedback is concerning, though). The main reasons we decided on the Escape 21 are:

1) Limited number of 120V, 12V, and USB outlets in the Lance.
2) No back windows in the Lance. Many sites we stay in are back-in and the view is out the back.
3) I like a narrower trailer for towing.
4) This will be our 3rd Escape... I know the company... they have always stood behind their product and provided excellent customer service... you can talk directly to the factory and founder.
5) Fits better in our garage!
6) The exchange rate makes the price hard to beat.
7) One other thing... and very important to us... there isn't enough counter space in the Lance to suit our needs.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 19' 2019
Congratulations on your new purchase! We recently went through the same build sheet process relying heavily on this forum and Linda from ETI to help make our decisions. The functional item decisions seemed to come easier than the aesthetic ones. Please tell me we weren't the only ones to get hung up on the color of the exterior striping! From our research solar panels, storage box and surge protector seemed easy decisions. Oven, U-shaped dinette, power awning and power tongue jack took a bit more discussion. The aluminum wheels was our only "not needed but just wanted" item. No microwave but we did get the A/C for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Once we stamped the build sheet the reality set in and the excitement level went up another notch. We are looking forward to the build pictures, which is a nice touch provided by ETI. Pickup early September and looking forward to our excursion from Southern California. Friends and family ask why we didn't find something closer, well after much research we were sold on the Escape, they only sell factory direct, and the drive to pick it up we see as an adventure which is kind of the point of having an RV anyway.

May see you in Chilliwack in September,

Ron & Margie
Romar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Congratulations on your new purchase. Hope you are as happy with your new Escape as we are with our 19', which we've had for 26 days and 4000 miles on the road.

We opted for cabinet customization to accommodate a Contoure RV-190S-CON convection microwave, with the RVTRIM-8S trim kit.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We opted for cabinet customization to accommodate a Contoure RV-190S-CON convection microwave, with the RVTRIM-8S trim kit.
Nice. That is what Oliver installs.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolongo View Post
We did not opt for an oven or microwave as we plan on doing most of our cooking outside. With a BBQ outside, and most likely a Coleman stove I don't see us using the inside burners much, but you never know. Also, without an oven and microwave we have considerably more storage for items we may actually use.
We opted for the oven and Microwave. Microwave is real handy when you have shore power. We have discovered the difference between "camping" and "RV-Parking" and have our trailer set up for both. We used the oven on our first trip, Baked Beans for the Pot Luck at the 2019 Rally! Since you have the U shaped dinette I also wanted to mention we opted for an aftermarket table mount. We had ETI NOT mount our table but include all the parts loose. I mounted the table on a Lagun brand mount. https://www.lagunusa.com/ I am sure there are threads on the subject. Here are some pictures of my install. No penetrations through the floor! Got the brackets here: https://www.wwhardware.com/a-m-hardw...am-black-16252 We are very happy with the clear space under the table and the swivel feature of the mount. PM me for more details.
Enjoy YOUR Escape!
Attached Thumbnails
20190314_175104.jpg   20190314_175316 copy.jpg   20190317_074603 copy.jpg   20190317_074304 copy.jpg   20190317_073857 copy.jpg  

20190317_075000 copy.jpg   20190317_074117 copy.jpg  
Joel-n-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Looks like you got the gear
Old 06-20-2019, 12:47 AM   #36

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel-n-i View Post
We opted for the oven and Microwave. Microwave is real handy when you have shore power. We have discovered the difference between "camping" and "RV-Parking" and have our trailer set up for both. We used the oven on our first trip, Baked Beans for the Pot Luck at the 2019 Rally! Since you have the U shaped dinette I also wanted to mention we opted for an aftermarket table mount. We had ETI NOT mount our table but include all the parts loose. I mounted the table on a Lagun brand mount. https://www.lagunusa.com/ I am sure there are threads on the subject. Here are some pictures of my install. No penetrations through the floor! Got the brackets here: https://www.wwhardware.com/a-m-hardw...am-black-16252 We are very happy with the clear space under the table and the swivel feature of the mount. PM me for more details.
Enjoy YOUR Escape!
We also left the Escape table unmounted and I installed the Lagun on day 2 of our maiden voyage. I installed it at the KOA in Lynden thanks to all the help on this forum. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! We had Escape cut all 4 corners of the table and that seems to work. With the way the table moves, with all 4 corners cut we aren't concerned with a front and back, just put it where we want it. We both are very glad we did this mod!!
Old 06-20-2019, 01:45 AM   #37
Site Team

I've bought but not yet installed one of those marine pedestals for the dinette table in our E21, which has the U shape... my wife has rather short legs and would like the floor higher but I don't really want to have to raise the power module for a full width floor, so I'm thinking of trying to do a step on her side and under the pedestal, but not all the way across.

I am hoping to get a dicor 2-way slider for the top. this stack needs a couple extra inches, so that's what I'm planning around. ideally, when the tabletop is flush with the bench in 'bed' position, the pedestal is bottomed out, that way we have the maximum possible rise from the pedestal.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:36 AM   #38
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Joel-n-i...

Your install looks great.
Your upholstery looks VERY familiar (and wonderful I might add).

Your "L" braces are something I'm interested in, so what sizes did you use?
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Your "L" braces are something I'm interested in, so what sizes did you use?
He provided the link in post #34.
https://www.wwhardware.com/a-m-hardw...am-black-16252

I see you edited your post to ask about size. Based on my knowledge of the under seat area dimensions I’m guessing 8”x12”.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:15 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I've bought but not yet installed one of those marine pedestals for the dinette table in our E21, which has the U shape....

yeah, so like, I installed it a year ago.... I put the dicor 2-way slider betwween the pedestal and the original table top.... and its still cool, a year later. I can put the table whereeer I want in a X/Y box.... if the pedestals aren't *really* tightly clampd, and the tabletop isn't centered, ht will tend to lean a bit. but the whole dinette can be converted back into the extra bed in seconds.

good luck finding the dicor slider in the US right now, ugh.