NEW MEMBER: 2019 Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 ESCAPE 21
NEW MEMBER: 2019 Escape 21

After several years of debating the purchase of a trailer we finally decided to take the next step. On June 7 we placed the deposit on a new 2019 Escape 21 trailer, and over the next 5 days completed the "build sheet" to seal the deal.

Many thanks to all forum contributors for providing an abundance of info related to option selections, including opinions on items such as manual or power awning, certainly a hot topic for debate.

We're not sure where, or what type of camping we'll end up doing on a regular basis, but here's a summary of where we ended up in respect to options:

Maple interior: liked the new modern look, not that we wouldn't have been fine with oak.
Two way hot water tank: just made sense.
Foot flush toilet & shut off valve.
Exterior shower: also added a second outside shower on passenger side so that we can setup outdoor kitchen area.
Dual 6V batteries.
1500W Inverter, complete with transfer switch to power all outlets.
170W Solar panel with charge controller: this seemed like a "no brainer" option to us.
Surge protector.
Removable power cord: hopefully we don't lose it, or leave it behind.
Air conditioner: this is the one option we really didn't want, but felt down the road we may feel different, especially when, or if we were to sell the trailer.
Extra insulation and framed windows: we opted for this style of windows as we felt the frameless windows may really restrict airflow in the trailer.
Aluminum rim package: why not.
Manual awning: of all the decisions this one, (well maybe fabric choice), caused us the most concern. We went back on forth on manual vs power, read as many posts as we could, but eventually decided on the manual. Why? Because we live in the Pacific Northwest, and given the variable weather it made sense to us to have the ability for several awning positions to block the wind, rain and sun. I've also read that it may be more difficult to inspect the power awing for debris when storing, including cleaning when necessary. I don't have an opinion on this, just trying to make the best decision based on the information in front of me.
Power tongue jack: one less thing to crank.
Added one exterior hatch under dinette: seemed like the right thing to do for possible storage of our outside kitchen items, really don't know at this point.
Exterior propane quick connect.
Storage box: general opinion on the forum seems to be that this box is very useful, can't disagree.
Converted the bench seat to "U" shaped dinette.
Zamp Solar port: you never know.
Custom fabric.

Well, that's about it, waiting game now as our completion date is not until early September. Lot's to do in the meantime, such as ready my tow vehicle for towing, really just a brake check. We kayak, so that's the reason we stuck with a pull behind as opposed to a 5th wheel as that would limit our options. Also, still need to decide on best choices for accessories such as wheel chocks, sewer hoses, etc.

See you all out on the road!

Mike & Nancy
Riolongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #2

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
Congratulations on your new trailer. Hopefully, I'll be following the same path soon. I hope to order a 19 in the next few months.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Congratulations, and welcome to a world of new possibilities!

You’ve obviously done the research and selected a very nicely appointed setup that will serve you well in a broad range of circumstances. Happy trails!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Enjoy your new camping accommodation. It will provide you with great services while you head off to enjoy yourselves.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello Riolongo.
Just went trough your buildsheet.It does make a lot of sense and is very similar to what we ordered.Surprised that you can get your trailer so soon.ETI have really stepped up the production.You are going to love the 21.We have been Escape owners since 2005.
Happy trails.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Congratulations! We're very close to pulling the trigger on a 21 too. Currently have a 2016 19 (also had a 2005 17), but we just got a puppy... and he's going to be bigger than expected! Time to upgrade... ain't that a darned shame.

Our biggest dilemmas have been framed vs frameless windows, oven or not, and power vs manual awning. Have decided on frameless because they greatly reduce condensation, yes to oven, and jury's still out on power vs manual awning (leaning toward manual).

Good luck and happy trails!
Old 06-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 ESCAPE 21
We did not opt for an oven or microwave as we plan on doing most of our cooking outside. With a BBQ outside, and most likely a Coleman stove I don't see us using the inside burners much, but you never know. Also, without an oven and microwave we have considerably more storage for items we may actually use.
Riolongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolongo View Post
We did not opt for an oven or microwave as we plan on doing most of our cooking outside. With a BBQ outside, and most likely a Coleman stove I don't see us using the inside burners much, but you never know. Also, without an oven and microwave we have considerably more storage for items we may actually use.
Yes, exactly the points that caused our dilemma regarding the stove/oven. (No microwave for us either, BTW.)

Here's what decided it for us in the end: we spend at least 4 months a year (Jan to May - ish) in the Escape, meandering around the southwest... and we cook outside a lot. This year was COLD and we found we didn't spend as much time outside as we normally do. Plus the oven can store some stuff, albeit not the same as a cabinet.

We'll see how it works out... I hope it doesn't turn out to be a very expensive breadbox!!
Old 06-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You do realize the oven is not self lighting, you have to turn on a pilot light and light it to operate the oven. The stove top, 3 burner is self lighting. I never used the oven in 2 years because of the pilot light which has to be redone every trip if you want to use the oven.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You do realize the oven is not self lighting, you have to turn on a pilot light and light it to operate the oven. The stove top, 3 burner is self lighting. I never used the oven in 2 years because of the pilot light which has to be redone every trip if you want to use the oven.
WHAT?! Really? What a PITA!! Can't you light the oven directly with a propane lighter without having to light the pilot light? If not, is the pilot a pain to light?

THANK YOU for pointing this out!
Old 06-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #11

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
Quote:
You do realize the oven is not self lighting, you have to turn on a pilot light and light it to operate the oven. The stove top, 3 burner is self lighting. I never used the oven in
And-- In all the stoves I've had in the past,the heat from the stove vents out of the top rear of the stove so if you close the burner cover, just the pilot light generates considerable heat. I have seen two stove covers that were burned because someone forgot to turn the pilot off and wait for a while for a cool down before closing. Also, every RV stove oven I have ever used was very hot in the bottom so the pizza with perfectly melted cheese had a charcoal crust, No stove for me unless I buy a used trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have no problem lighting the pilot light when ever I use the oven. I shut it off when done rather than leaving it on...
Old 06-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
It only takes a sec to light the oven
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
[QUOTE=Jack L;294210]
Quote:
You do realize the oven is not self lighting, you have to turn on a pilot light and light it to operate the oven. The stove top, 3 burner is self lighting. I never used the oven in

And-- In all the stoves I've had in the past,the heat from the stove vents out of the top rear of the stove so if you close the burner cover, just the pilot light generates considerable heat. I have seen two stove covers that were burned because someone forgot to turn the pilot off and wait for a while for a cool down before closing. Also, every RV stove oven I have ever used was very hot in the bottom so the pizza with perfectly melted cheese had a charcoal crust, No stove for me unless I buy a used trailer.
If you add a stone to the bottom of the oven (this is the one I use) it will even out the heat. I have no problem with pizzas (or blueberry pies).

As to the stove cover, I replaced mine with a cutting board from Camco. It gives you an addition couple of square feet of counter space. I've had no problem with it burning when leaving it in place using the oven. I do run the range vent when bringing the oven up to temperature to keep it from setting off my CO detector), and all the time if it is hot out.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
It only takes a sec to light the oven
With an electric starter ours takes less.

Cost a lot more than an RV range though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yup we enjoy the oven although i wish i had Jim's fancy oven !!!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
yup we enjoy the oven although i wish i had Jim's fancy oven !!!
Come camping with us Kate, and we will let you cook us dinner in our oven.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
great !!! in Mexico!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
great !!! in Mexico!
Deal!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have no problem lighting the pilot light when ever I use the oven. I shut it off when done rather than leaving it on...

Just make sure you’re actually done with the oven before shutting off the pilot. Relighting one while the oven is still hot reminds me of that old board game Operation. But with burn scars instead of a cute buzzer and light bulb nose effect.