new potential buyer question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #1

Trailer: none
new potential buyer question

Hi, I'm Jon and my wife and I are considering purchasing an Escape RV--the 19 looks right to me. The purpose would be full time or almost full time use around the US. My wife has asked the question about the availability of parts for Escape RV's. If we're stuck in Moab Utah (just an example, I could just as easily have picked Cape Cod--which is where I live--or Tennessee or anywhere else) and we have a mechanical issue, is it difficult to get parts to repair an Escape RV? Compared to other RV's that are sold by dealers all around the US?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to learning lots more before we decide to purchase!
Jon
jhowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Welcome Jon to our very friendly group.

I wouldn't worry about parts on a trip far from home. Anything going wrong is likely to be with an appliance and they are standard RV appliances can be serviced at any Camping World or other RV sales and service place.

Only time we were "stuck" was at friend's in Las Cruces when I dewinterized had a leak, local RV place fixed it!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Welcome Jon.

By far most of the problems with a Escape are the appliances, which are serviced at pretty much any RV repair shop. That said, many if not most of us do our own repairs. RV shops can take months to get to you and most are just plain bad at their jobs.

Escape is pretty good at shipping parts where needed, once in a while you read where they have folks go t local shops for repairs and pick up the tab, but I've had no experience with that.

Hey, if you need someone to stay at your place in Falmouth while you travel let me know. I could eat from the fish market everyday for a year and not get sick of it.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Also most of the time you can get reply here on the forum within minutes of asking about a problem and how to fix it. I am sure you would find that is not the norm with other many trailer brands.
Also Escape the company is know to reply to your phone or email questions in a reasonable time.
I love our 19 but if you can live with a narrower bed and not looking out the front of the trailer...the 21 is a lot more open for full timing at not that much more money.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #5

Trailer: none
thanks for the replies

Thanks everybody for the speedy replies! I'll try to look around the forum some and see where the right place is to post other questions I might have. I was first driven to look at an Escape because after trying out a few beds in RVs at the RV Show in Boston (last year) , it became really clear to my wife and I that since both of us are 6 feet tall, we needed a full sized Queen Bed--I searched for that, and found myself on the Escape page. Then I liked what I saw.

Jon
jhowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jon,
I highly recommend you contact the factory and ask for a list of Escapes near you.That is how they are sold, you view someone's Escape and then you buy one and later you can show someone else your own Escape.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Just as the appliances are widely supported, so are the chassis components. The Dexter axles/suspension and brakes are very common so both parts and service are readily available when the time comes for regular maintenance. Trailers are very simple (compared to motor vehicles), so that's about all there is to the chassis.

There are also some RV-specific mechanical components which are not "appliances" or other interior parts: that would be the stabilizing jacks and tongue jack. Again, these are readily available components. Like other travel trailers of similar type and size, an Escape is free of the power slideouts, power leveling system, and power entry steps which are common on larger trailers and motorhomes... which avoids service and repair issues.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I think you are making an excellent decision going with an Escape and because of that you should have fewer problems to start with. We bought our Escape used and twice I've reached out to the factory and was very impressed with the response and the short time it took to get one. Plus I wonder how many companies the size of Escape have the same kind of hands on ownership that I've seen from Reace and Tammy.
I would agree if you have not seen either the 19' or 21' I would reach out to Escape about their referral program. if you plan to full time really think you should consider a 21', I'm amazed how much extra space you get. The bed in a 21' is a queen length it is the width that is only a full and to us it does not feel that small. The reason for that is since both sides of the bed are against a wall you use the whole width of the bed because your not worried about falling of the side.
Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Nail hit on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...an Escape is free of the power slideouts, power leveling system, and power entry steps which are common on larger trailers and motorhomes... which avoids service and repair issues.
My neighbor has a very expensive Winnebago motorhome. Overall it is very nice, but guess what he has problems with...slides and auto leveling system
Old 01-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowland View Post
Hi, I'm Jon and my wife and I are considering purchasing an Escape RV--the 19 looks right to me. The purpose would be full time or almost full time use around the US. My wife has asked the question about the availability of parts for Escape RV's. If we're stuck in Moab Utah (just an example, I could just as easily have picked Cape Cod--which is where I live--or Tennessee or anywhere else) and we have a mechanical issue, is it difficult to get parts to repair an Escape RV? Compared to other RV's that are sold by dealers all around the US?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to learning lots more before we decide to purchase!
Jon
Jon,
I would not be worried about parts for any fiberglass rv, they are readily available. I have had many RV's over the years and the one constant thing with all of them, repairs! Part of the RV lifestyle is tinkering, adjusting, and make it yours. I find the people most happy Rving understand this. If you are the type that when a problem arises looks to a dealer to repair, you may not be happy with the RV lifestyle. Dealers service departments can be way backed up and they will take care of their customers first. If you are traveling, your local dealer may not be an option. I carry extra wheel bearings, a multi meter, and numerous small parts just for those repairs that can happen and will ruin a trip
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts