New to us 2010 17B! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
New to us 2010 17B!

After a bit of a journey, we are now the proud owners of a 2010 17B.

Initially we planned on a new 17B, but later decided the new version may be too heavy for our Rav4 tow vehicle. Found one post here on the forums indicating 3400lb and 450 lb tongue weight empty....yikes. Whereas the first generation 17B came in about 3000-3200lbs loaded according to the trailer weights in the real world document.

We had to cancel our deposit for the new 17B. But about the same time fellow forum member BJC responded to my want ad that they were planning on selling their 2010 17B soon. Turns out they were only 30 minutes away from us and after taking a look we agreed to purchase their trailer. They put up with my request to have the trailer weighed and a detailed inspection to make sure it would work for us. They were a pleasure to deal with and even delivered the trailer to our home!

So far we haven't gone camping, but have taken the trailer on a couple of test tows. The Rav coupled with the Fastway 4500lb E2 WDH tow the trailer great!

Looking forward to our first camping trip.
Josh
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0414a.jpg  
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Congratulations on your Escape, and we wish you many adventures in it!

We have ordered a 17A that will be completed in early October, downsizing from a 19 Escape. The 17 size has so much to offer, at a reasonable size and weight.

Happy camping!

David
Pittsburgh, PA
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Curious as to what weight your 2010 17b came in at. Unloaded, I take it? Propane on the tongue?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For what it is worth, my 2011 17B with dual batteries & solar, full propane tanks & 1/3rd fresh water ready to leave on a trip weighed in at total of 3010 pounds & 345 pounds of hitch weight when I was towing with a 2010 RAV4 (V6). When I switched to a Tacoma, I let it creep up to 3100 pounds, and 360 pounds of tongue weight. This was for 6 - 8 months trips, so lots of stuff...
Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #5

David,
Thanks! Interesting that you are one of the few that is actually downsizing. Seems most move up in size.

My trailer weighs 2840lbs with full propane, dual 6V batteries, A/C, full hot water heater, and empty tanks. There is also a metal safe that a prior owner installed that I would guess weighs about 20+lbs. I don't have a tongue scale yet, but by doing the math when it was weighed, the tongue weight is right around 340lbs.

Since my wife and I will mainly be doing weekend trips with it I don't think we will be loading it down a whole lot. I do plan on dry camping, so will have full fresh water tank most of the time.
Josh
Old 08-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #6

Insulation question

I noticed the reflectix material under the front dinette storage. Is this considered "insulation" in this year trailer?
Josh
Old 08-06-2019, 12:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
I noticed the reflectix material under the front dinette storage. Is this considered "insulation" in this year trailer?
Josh
Yes the Reflectix was the extra insulation option. Without it just the foam headliner would be bonded directly to the shell.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #8

Thanks Rubicon. Any other locations I can easily check on the trailer for the reflectix? The documentation doesn't show insulation as an installed option. I wonder if it actually does have insulation?
Josh
Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
As I remember Reflectix was used on the lower half standard and the Thermal package had dual pane windows and the upper half and ceiling done with the Reflectix.

Are your windows single-pane?
Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
As I remember Reflectix was used on the lower half standard and the Thermal package had dual pane windows and the upper half and ceiling done with the Reflectix.

Are your windows single-pane?
Ross: Good call. I found the older thread by Reace where he mentions just that. If the older trailers were not order with extra insulation or the thermal window package they will just have Reflectix in the lower areas. As a point of reference our build sheet does says "extra insulation" but we don't have thermal windows. From the work I have done that required cutting holes in the shell (range hood vent, bath window) I have confirmed there is a single layer of Reflectix behind the headliner on all the walls as Reace discusses. My point is that I believe the extra insulation came integral with the thermal windows as a package, but you can still have ordered extra insulation separately and have single pane windows.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post38751
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I meant to include that: back then one could order either just the extra insulation or just thermal windows for $500, or half the total price of complete Thermal Package.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #12

Thanks all. Mine doesn't have thermal windows. I'll have to poke around to see if the reflectix is in the upper half of the shell too.

Sounds like reflectix is the "insulation". Which seems to me like very, very little difference in insulation value between a non-insulated trailer and an insulated trailer of this vintage. The foam backing under the vinyl interior seems to be a good 1/2" thick. I would think that would provide as much insulation as reflectix.
Josh