Newbie - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #1

Hello to all,

I am the newbie on the Forum. For quite a while now, my husband and I have been looking for a travel trailer that would answer all our needs. And we think we finally found it. We were very impressed with the product and most of all by the fact that it is built in Canada (we are from Gatineau, Quebec).

The Escape really seems to be the best trailer for us. I have read with a lot of interest everything you have wrote on the Forum. Some of your comments have answered our questions and some other have raised some. The biggest concern being condensation problems. I have read that some of you seemed to have had some issues with that. As we leave in Quebec, where it can be veryyyyyyyyyyyy cold do you think it could be a problem, do you think we should take the extra insulation option? Would that help? Shouldn't good ventilation do the job? or a heater?

Thanks to all that info I was able to get from this forum I has able to prepare a list of questions for when we finally be ready to purchase of Escape 19 - hopefullly for next spring.

I will be looking forwards to read any suggestions you will have for us.

Toobie
Toobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Newbie

Hi Toobie, and welcome.

In regards to the condensation issue, the extra insulation and thermal windows will go a long way to controlling this issue. Adding forced air and a bit of ventilation will help lots. Reace at Escape mentions that the weak link in this extra insulation comes where the aluminum frames extend inside the trailer, and that they will be the first thing to get condensation on. This could be wiped I guess, but I think someone mentioned about adding some self adhesive foam tape to them for insulation. Maybe others have ideas. I am going to wait until this happens in order to see what I might do (if anything) to remedy this.

We are loving our Escape. Of course there are a couple things I wish were different, but we are extremely happy with our decision.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Welcome and Congratulations, I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. The hardest part is trying to decide what features that you will want or need. Have fun!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #4

Your quick response make me feel welcome. WOW!! One more good reason to buy our Escape.

Thank you for the tips about the insulation.

You are right Sandra, it will be hard to decide what feature to choose. We are already talking about it all the time trying to make sure tol take the right decisions.

We know for sure that we not looking for luxury camping, we are looking for quality and most of all for something that will keep us dry and warm for many, many, many years.

Can`t wait to hear from you all.

Toobie
Toobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Anytime you have cold temps on the outside and warm, moist human beings on the inside breathing hard, you're gonna have condensation. Nice dry heat and circulating vented air are the best treatments (drying the air out and exiting some of the moisture from the camper). The problem areas are the cabinets where the air doesn't circulate as well. Leaving the doors open and, or, vents in the cabinets are your best bet. Always good to have Rease add come extra vents, and they're cheap! In really humid areas, some have been using some type of "absorbers". Should be able to find a thread on that. As Jim said, the extra insulation and particularly, the insulated windows, will go a long way to helping to alliviate the problem. Of course, one other way is to stop breathing, but that sure puts a crimp in your lifestyle : - )
An Escape will have you warm and dry for many a year, Lord willing!
Welcome to the forum.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Toobie and WELCOME!!! We are in our second season with "Our Escape Hatch" 5.0. So far we have not encountered any severe condensation problems.
While we were in the east coast there was a lot of rain and using the electric heater at night, we did fog up the windows a bit. Having the Maxxfan and being able to leave it open rain or shine, day or night, is great to keep the condensation to a minimum.
We also had the wonderfull pleasure to meet a beautiful new Escape 19'er and his proud owners and family, in Vermont on our trip. All I can say is WOW!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Hi Toobie, and welcome to our little forum.

We have a 19 and live in Prince George, it gets a little cold here also...

We had Reace put the fresh water tank inside under our bed so we could
use the trailer a little longer into winter, also had shut offs installed inside for the exterior shower.

The grey water tank is still under the trailer but a shot of antifreeze will keep it from freezing.

As Jim mentioned the extra insulation and double glazed windows are great.

By far the best trailer out there... but then again most people on this forum love their Escapes.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19'
Condensation

We just took our 19 out for it's maiden voyage and on the first night experienced some condensation where the mattress meets the wall and where the lower seat cushions met the wall. The second night we put the max fan on and didn't have any condensation at all.

Our Escape proved to be everything we wanted it to be and I even got an instant bit of advice when my AC power didn't fire up my fridge, A/C and Microwave. Seems the Canadians are a bit more quality control conscious than we are down here and the surge protector takes some time to cycle and start up to ensure there aren't erratic voltages coming into the trailer on start up. Called Kim and she knew exactly what was happening and filled me in. We had a great trip.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You do realize this is a 5 year old thread, Sokol, hopefully a lot of these issues have been resolved. There is a wealth of info in the literature given to you from the factory, including the 2 minute warning on the EMS at start up. This allows the a/c to cool down in case there had been a surge and the power cut off. You can always bypass it with the switch on the remote display, but you would not be protected then.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 19 picked up March 2015
Thanks for showing us your trailer. Glad you had a good first outing although we were going to ask if you were ready to sell :-)
Sandi and Dave
Snadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19'
Sell

Snadry, yes we had a great time and I haven't slept that good in a long long time. If you guys get a trailer you really need to go to Salt Creek Campground up our way. Fantastic view, great facility and just very relaxing. Our trailer was more than we even hoped for and after one trip I am sold on having made the right decision.

And cpaharley2008, thanks, I've got to start looking at the dates on these things, but it was great that I got in touch with Dave and Sandi through the post. See you at Lake Osoyoos!

Ron & Sharon
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote