Newbie From Northern California! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2022, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: None
Smile Newbie From Northern California!

Hi everyone! The hubby and I live in the Sacramento area of California and have been doing research for many months on which small fiberglass trailer to buy so we can do weekend getaways with the dogs and sometimes our college kid. 😃 We were torn between Scamp, Casita and Escape and have settled on Escape for several reasons, but I think most importantly for us was the ability to customize so much and make it our own. That and I wasn’t a huge fan of the carpet on the walls of the other two. I also like the layout better in the Escape....model 17B. So we plan on calling Escape next week with our list of questions and placing our deposit. Would love to hear any advice on things you wish you had added but didn’t or things you added that you wish you hadn’t as we are still debating on a few items. The underbody installation...we are always warm down here so would we really need that and I worry it would make future repairs hard to fix etc? Solar...could we add it down the road ourselves ....not sure I want it mounted on the roof....maybe just have them add the hook ups and wiring but not the actual panel on the roof etc? And the awning....the power vs. the standard, and any mechanical issues with either that we should be aware of? Really appreciate anyone weighing in and happy to be here and learn from you all!
NorCalTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome to the EscapeForum. Have you physically seen a 17' trailer? IF not, make every effort to see one, and maybe a 19 and 21' too.

Good luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #3

We have not, other than in the videos. They are hard to find down here....I’ll be inquiring if they can arrange an in person visit with someone close by us, but in looking on the map, it seems that we would have to drive a couple or more hours to see one. We are find to to that, but we will just have to see if there are any 17B models near us. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2022, 03:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Solar on the roof is my recommendation. Out of sight, working all the time, no issues with theft or forgetting it, would not own an Escape without the solar option.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I were starting from scratch, I'd buy a 19. My buddy has one and we always end up eating dinner together or playing cards in his trailer.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTraveler View Post
We have not, other than in the videos. They are hard to find down here....I’ll be inquiring if they can arrange an in person visit with someone close by us, but in looking on the map, it seems that we would have to drive a couple or more hours to see one. We are find to to that, but we will just have to see if there are any 17B models near us. Thanks!
we will be at the Nevada City Elks Lodge with our 21 on the afternoon/evening of May 25th, which isn't too far from Antelope. The rest of the weekend we'll be at a music festival in Grass Valley, which requires tickets for admission.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Solar on the roof is my recommendation. Out of sight, working all the time, no issues with theft or forgetting it, would not own an Escape without the solar option.
Thanks for weighing in on the solar roof option! I guess I was concerned about potential leak issues or if the panel breaks etc being on the roof, vs. a suitcase solar option that we could put away. I read a thread where people had experienced issues with the roof mount solar panels and that got me worried.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
we will be at the Nevada City Elks Lodge with our 21 on the afternoon/evening of May 25th, which isn't too far from Antelope. The rest of the weekend we'll be at a music festival in Grass Valley, which requires tickets for admission.
Thanks so much for the kind offer John! If we can’t find one to tour before May, I will certainly reach out to you and see if we can arrange a time to meet. 😃
Old 04-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Thanks for weighing in on the solar roof option! I guess I was concerned about potential leak issues or if the panel breaks etc being on the roof, vs. a suitcase solar option that we could put away. I read a thread where people had experienced issues with the roof mount solar panels and that got me worried.
I was only aware of issues with multiple panels on the roof. the standard rear roof location has been trouble free, it was the front roof panels that had any issues.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
My 2 cents

Look at a E19 as suggested. With dogs, it will make a significant difference.
I have, and my used rig came with a manual awning and so tend to favor that. KISS principle there.
Solar can be added on later, but it is beneficial to get from the start. The issues or problems, I think, have been resolved by Escape.

Good luck, and don't hold your breath waiting for a used rig to come up conveniently and locally. And if something used does become available, jump on it pronto.

An Escape is a wise choice, from many points.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Got some extra reading lights. They are nice when we occasionally use them, but could easily get by without them. Got the seelevel tank gauges; once again nice, but not essential. Did add usb/12v outlets and they get used a lot. We have foam and tank heaters, but camp in single digits and want running water. Most like outdoor showers. We don’t have them. Have had them in the past and never used them. Cold water outside is sufficient for us. Dual 6v batteries are fine unless you use a lot of electricity. 1 Solar on the roof is great and I hardly ever put out my portable. Got the Coleman ac for the quiet, and the heat strip. We don’t have to carry a cube heater or install backup heat. It will keep the 19 toasty down to 20F. Never had the heat strip before and was skeptical, but we use it all the time. Did a slightly larger sink - wider, it’s somewhat square. Not essential, but convenient and helpful. I do find the 19 about the perfect size. For us the 17 is too small and the 21 too big.

Everyone’s wants and needs are different, so take all the suggestions you get in light of your needs.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was only aware of issues with multiple panels on the roof. the standard rear roof location has been trouble free, it was the front roof panels that had any issues.
Oh that’s awesome to hear Jim thank you! That eases my mind. I just didn’t want to get something that expensive and then regret it down the road if it became a maintenance headache.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Look at a E19 as suggested. With dogs, it will make a significant difference.
I have, and my used rig came with a manual awning and so tend to favor that. KISS principle there.
Solar can be added on later, but it is beneficial to get from the start. The issues or problems, I think, have been resolved by Escape.

Good luck, and don't hold your breath waiting for a used rig to come up conveniently and locally. And if something used does become available, jump on it pronto.

An Escape is a wise choice, from many points.
That’s good to know on the awning and the solar thanks! We are not sure how often we will be using it since we are new to this, and budget wise the 17b suits us. But the extra space would be nice for sure I imagine!
Old 04-02-2022, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Got some extra reading lights. They are nice when we occasionally use them, but could easily get by without them. Got the seelevel tank gauges; once again nice, but not essential. Did add usb/12v outlets and they get used a lot. We have foam and tank heaters, but camp in single digits and want running water. Most like outdoor showers. We don’t have them. Have had them in the past and never used them. Cold water outside is sufficient for us. Dual 6v batteries are fine unless you use a lot of electricity. 1 Solar on the roof is great and I hardly ever put out my portable. Got the Coleman ac for the quiet, and the heat strip. We don’t have to carry a cube heater or install backup heat. It will keep the 19 toasty down to 20F. Never had the heat strip before and was skeptical, but we use it all the time. Did a slightly larger sink - wider, it’s somewhat square. Not essential, but convenient and helpful. I do find the 19 about the perfect size. For us the 17 is too small and the 21 too big.

Everyone’s wants and needs are different, so take all the suggestions you get in light of your needs.
Thanks for chiming in! Yes, I’ve already planned on the extra lights....with my bad eyes, I can’t ever have too much light! 🤣
Old 04-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Stretch the budget, if you need to

Quote:
That’s good to know on the awning and the solar thanks! We are not sure how often we will be using it since we are new to this, and budget wise the 17b suits us. But the extra space would be nice for sure I imagine!
Unlike "stickies", your investment in a good bit more extra space will pay dividends, in comfort, future resale value and enjoyment of use. Fiberglass trailers don't lose much, if any, value over the years. You can likely get any additional money spent back.
Just my opinion. I come from having a 16' Casita for a decade. The space makes a
big difference, especially travelling with a dog or 2.
Decisions! Decisions!
OK. I'm done with my proselytizing.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
How tall is the tallest person in your group? My husband is 6’1.5” and our 17A bed (same size bed as in a 17B) was always just a bit too short. I'd say that you'd better be less than 6’ to sleep well in a 17. If you’re in luck that way, they are lovely compact trailers.

Solar is nice but also the dual lead batteries hold enough charge from a full charge at home, for up to 5-6 days of careful off grid use in our experience. We had solar prewiring in our 17A, this time we have the panel. So much depends on your camping style and geography, but the big things you can eliminate to save $$$ IMO are AC, solar panel, oven, power awning, frameless windows. You'd also save a few hundred pounds of weight by skipping those.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:43 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the single biggest reason we got the 21 was that the bed is longitudinal, noone has to climb over the other person to get up in the middle of the night. the classic 21 has a 'full xl' mattress with a clipped corner. this is as long as a standard queen mattress, but about 6" narrower. we use a Queen duvet/comforter instead of conventional top sheet and blanket, and its easy to flip your side towards the middle, and scrunch out the foot of the bed without waking your partner. you can buy Full XL mattress covers and fitted sheets, and they fit the 21C's bed just fine, tuck the clipped corner under. my wife is short, she sleeps on the clipped side, I'm 6' tall and sleep on the street side.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Unlike "stickies", your investment in a good bit more extra space will pay dividends, in comfort, future resale value and enjoyment of use. Fiberglass trailers don't lose much, if any, value over the years. You can likely get any additional money spent back.
Just my opinion. I come from having a 16' Casita for a decade. The space makes a
big difference, especially travelling with a dog or 2.
Decisions! Decisions!
OK. I'm done with my proselytizing.
It seems like you make some great points! After reading everyone’s responses here, and talking with hubby we are now leaning to the 19! We hadn’t considered it mainly for the cost, but in researching it really does give a nice amount more of space and I think we would be happier with it in the long run. Thanks again for the advice 😀
Old 04-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
How tall is the tallest person in your group? My husband is 6’1.5” and our 17A bed (same size bed as in a 17B) was always just a bit too short. I'd say that you'd better be less than 6’ to sleep well in a 17. If you’re in luck that way, they are lovely compact trailers.

Solar is nice but also the dual lead batteries hold enough charge from a full charge at home, for up to 5-6 days of careful off grid use in our experience. We had solar prewiring in our 17A, this time we have the panel. So much depends on your camping style and geography, but the big things you can eliminate to save $$$ IMO are AC, solar panel, oven, power awning, frameless windows. You'd also save a few hundred pounds of weight by skipping those.
I think we will mostly be sticking to state parks and flat land campgrounds with hook ups. We are not really the boondocking types. My hubby and son are both just under 6 feet tall....so while the 17 would work, it will be a bit cramped, so now we are considering spending the extra to get the 19. I think in the long run we will be happier overall with that extra space.
Old 04-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
NorCalTraveler:

What are you going to be towing the Escape with. The 19 is significantly heavier than the 17B. My wife and I both come from a backpacking background, so we can fairly be described as "minimalists". We find the 17B more than adequate for the two of us and our adult son has joined us on a few trips (somewhat more cramped, but doable. We are both shorter (5'7" & 5'1"), so ceiling height is not an issue. For our type of usage, would highly recommend the front cargo box, solar panel & dual 6 Volt batteries. We don't have dogs, so that could impact your decision.

Dave Smith
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17b escape