Newbie with a Fridge Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2022, 07:58 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When I had oversight for plowing snow in the winter in the 70’s the continued use of the plow controls and the headlights and plow lights both on, the alternator could not keep up with the demand for electricity. You would push up a snow bank, go to lift the plow, the engine would die and you were done till someone could give you a jump start. We installed an optional second battery and rebuilt the alternators for more amperage output.
By the 90s the plows were more efficient, Alternators put out more amps when a snow plow package was specified and the problems abated.
I’ve never used the DC setting on either of the Escapes we have had and would not think it would be a great loss if taken away. The sad thing is I doubt there will be a price reduction in refrigerator cost. The reasoning will be “we were able to hold the line on refrigerator cost and not increase a price rise to our customers. Less is more or is it more is less.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree with you Dave, 100%.....hope to see you on the road, well not really on the road, but camping....
Old 07-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When I had oversight for plowing snow in the winter in the 70’s the continued use of the plow controls and the headlights and plow lights both on, the alternator could not keep up with the demand for electricity. You would push up a snow bank, go to lift the plow, the engine would die and you were done till someone could give you a jump start. We installed an optional second battery and rebuilt the alternators for more amperage output.
By the 90s the plows were more efficient, Alternators put out more amps when a snow plow package was specified and the problems abated.
I’ve never used the DC setting on either of the Escapes we have had and would not think it would be a great loss if taken away. The sad thing is I doubt there will be a price reduction in refrigerator cost. The reasoning will be “we were able to hold the line on refrigerator cost and not increase a price rise to our customers. Less is more or is it more is less.
At some point Dave, we may have a complete resume for you
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:31 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I don’t believe I’ve ever reported on all of the gigs I used to have. The smallest one I used on bullfrogs.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Considering the number of states and provinces that we've travelled collectively in could this be an Urban Myth?

Only time that I've had any other type of inspection, aside from water craft, was at the US border near Yellowstone.

Three border agents and they said that they were inspecting my hitch Factory tow package, nothing unusual, and a WDH. They wiggled and jiggled and almost looked disappointed that they didn't find anything wrong. Really don't know what that was all about.

Ron
The tunnels on the East Coast south of D.C. going towards the Outer Banks have signs requiring you to stop for inspection. My fridge is always on propane so I stop and shut off the propane. The person in the booth watches and give you a thumbs up but never comes out of their booth. I suppose you don't HAVE to stop but I figure it is a good idea and an uncontrolled propane fire in a tunnel is not something I want to be a part of! There is probably a hefty fine is you get caught anyway.

I have had longer ferry trips where they require you to shut off your propane and do inspect it...especially the ones where your rig is inside the boat. The Ferry from Bruce Peninsula to Manitoulin Island is one example.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
BC Ferries requires you to turn off propane tanks before boarding. They give you a sticker to place over the knob. Not sure what that proves since you could leave the tank on and place the sticker over the knob.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #27

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I got a call in April, just before my 5.0 shipped.... Samuel said I would be receiving a 2 way Norcold Fridge. The supply chain issue... I wasn't concerned at all. I probably wouldn't have used the 12 volt part of a 3 way fridge anyway...... I did have an issue from the beginning with the Norcold. Easy warranty fix.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:03 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have a 3 way Dometic and use the 12v DC often. I would have gladly taken the 2 way Norcold because at least most of the time you have a warranty.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:12 PM   #29
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Are the warranty comments just about poor warranty service from Dometic, or do their refrigerators not have much of a warranty?
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
My fridge warranty claim was with Norcold... Local RV dealer was a dealer. went smooth, if not quick. 2 weeks for parts to come in... Overall, not too bad.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:40 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
The fridge draws so much power on 12 volt that it is difficult for most tow vehicle's alternators to keep up with the demand. Many people who are uncomfortable driving with the fridge on propane have had to either install a more powerful alternator and heavier wiring. Or have solar panels to supplement the alternator's output.
The RMD8555 (a 6 cubic foot model used on earlier '21 Escapes) typically needs about 14 amps at 12 volts. This is not a particularly heavy load for a modern alternator. The frequent issue is the approximately 60 foot round trip for power between the alternator and the 'fridge and back. On my Toyota the voltage drop is more than 1.5 volts. So if I tried to use the 'fridge on DC and it was a cloudy day (no solar boost), I would arrive at a campground with a nearly dead battery. Either better wire or a DC-DC converter would help solve that problem. In my case I just use propane and don't worry about it.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:58 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Warranty and Dometic is just based on a lack of response, parts, lack of support to RV technicians from Dometic. They just don’t honor their warranty claims well.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I'm glad this subject came up again as I was wondering about the refrigerator on our last trip to southern Ontario.

The fridge had precooled for couple of days on AC at home and we packed it the day before we left on our trip so that all the food would be properly chilled before setting off.

The day of the trip it was really windy; as we set off I made sure that the propane was on and that the fridge had properly switched over to propane when I disconnected the trailer from the house.

We were driving in some very strong crosswinds for the entire 7 hour trip with gusts up to 70 kph (about 45 mph); my wife asked me why the strong wind doesn't blow out the flame on the refrigerator and I had no answer?

I'm not even sure that it doesn't happen? Comments?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:50 AM   #34
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
I can't say that it never happens. However, last year we were driving our 19 north of Salt Lake City headed to Idaho and had to deal with some very strong crosswinds, some of the worst I have ever encountered. I slowed down quite a bit and had to keep both hands on the wheel, but the propane for the stove never went out and the fridge was still running when we stopped.

Someone else who may know exactly where the flame is located for a propane fridge can probably provide a more reliable and technical response about how difficult it is for the flame to be blown out by wind.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:41 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One can always purchase a remote thermometer and monitor it while driving, but if you leave it shut and it stays shut you should not have any issues. Remember to keep light items on the door and heavier ones inside the unit itself.

Tags
12v, fridge, gas, inspections, traveling