Newbies looking - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Looking
Smile Newbies looking

Hi. We are in Alabama and have finally decided to take up camping. We have found all sorts of places to visit but we still need to purchase our perfect little camper. We would appreciate any suggestions on things to look for as we shop used escape campers.
Thanks in advance.
Tara and Tim
TaraTimNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
You can find one here if you watch carefully they come up on this site but you have to be ready to buy quickly they usually sell in a day or two. Newer ones sell for close to new prices. Might be able to get a better deal on an older one. I bought my 17b used on this site it was nice to go back and look at the build pictures and the original owners posts. These trailers hold up well mine look like a brand new trailer and had been well taken care of. I was not much of a camper prior to getting my camper it's a lot of fun to learn all about it and meet new people. They are fun to tow once you get comfortable and have the right equipment .
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #3

Trailer: looking
with the Canadian dollar trading @ .76 U.S. .... we just took the plunge. what a bargain for us yanks. I am actually a southerner. there are still some trailers available for Dec 2016. we ordered the 21...cram the homework. the 17s are sold out for the next 2-3 years!!!
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Agree with Fox - used fiberglass trailers (any brand) sell within a day or so of postings. Have to have cash in hand and decide immediately if it will work for you. Spent 11 months searching for a used 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe (and there are a LOT more Casitas than Escapes) and after missing 4 or 5 by a day or two, when one popped up I immediately got aboard an airplane from Portland, Oregon to Denver Colorado to check it out and buy the next day by bank transfer of funds. When I listed it for sale it went out the driveway for asking price 28 hours from when I posted the listing. Check often and be ready!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My advice would be to determine the features and number of sleeping spaces you think you need. That will help determine the size of camper you are looking for. It would be nice
if you already own an adequate tow vehicle but if not, you'll know what you will need to tow your prospective rig. Remember, the life of the fiberglass campers is about three times that of tow vehicles at least. Don't skimp on either a camper or a tow vehicle, you'll be so much happier and safer if you rig up right to start with.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
with the Canadian dollar trading @ .76 U.S. .... we just took the plunge. what a bargain for us yanks. I am actually a southerner. there are still some trailers available for Dec 2016. we ordered the 21...cram the homework. the 17s are sold out for the next 2-3 years!!!
Nope, 2016 production schedule is posted as sold out on all models as of today. Next deliveries are 2017.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Trailer: looking
four year old trailers are still selling at todays current exchange rate NEW. you will bang your head less, if you take advantage of the exchange rate NOW.

these Escapes are red hot resale.
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

Check this site and fiberglass r.v. For rallies that will be held within driving distance of where you live and attend a couple yet this fall if possible. You'll get a good idea of what you want and what you need and learn about head room etc.
Dave
Old 09-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #9

Thanks so much. I saw they were all sold out too but we are probably going to go the used route until we know more of how we will camp. We have a dodge 2007 ram Laramie. We would like either the 19' or the fifth wheel escape models. I like the size of the bathroom ��
I would love the the three burner stove with the oven but will do with what I can get being used. Most important is that it be in good shape. It has taken me three years to get my hubby on board, so it needs to be a good experience. He's actually excited! If there are issues, can you give me some things to look for that might hint there's a problem?
Thanks so much for all your helpful replies.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #10

The campers are basically and assembly of systems if you will. Therefore, if you make a list of each feature that needs to be working properly when you inspect the trailer, and combine that with a visual interior
And exterior examination you should have a pretty good idea of what you are getting into. An honest responsible owner with a sound trailer will answer your questions and demonstrate functionality before you ask them to. There are lists on buying used trailers, I'm sure they'd help especially on specific brands.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Bathroom size? 21!!!

If there is any way you can swing it, a trip to the ETI rally next May in BC via Seattle or Spokane would be a great idea but not required.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautracer View Post
.... the 17s are sold out for the next 2-3 years!!!
There's nothing on Escape's website that indicates no production dates for a 17 in 2017. Where did you get this info? From Escape directly?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posted a short while ago on this forum.
See: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...dule-6347.html
Old 09-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Posted a short while ago on this forum.
See: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...dule-6347.html
Right, saw that, but again, nothing there indicating there are no 2017 production dates for a 17.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The way I read it is that there are no production dates for any Escape trailer until they open them up in 2016.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #16

On the escape site it says check back in January 2016 for 2017 dates.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #17
Site Team

Right, I read it the same. When they announce production dates for 2017 models (January 2016), there will certainly be 2017 production dates for all models. Pretty amazing though that if you want any model new right now, you're looking at a minimum 16 months wait. Ours was 9 months and we thought 'sheesh' at the time. Methinks the price of a used Escape just went up.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Just says to check back in Jan, but they use the "early 2016" language before they open orders. Might be Feb, March or so before they take orders. I'm sure the exchange rate has a play in it. Hard to project costs, margin, etc on a product that you aren't going to build or buy supplies to build for a year and a half. If everyone that is ordering is exchanging currency and sending it in now and the exchange rate worsens you lose margin when you build those trailers. Very challenging times right now for Canadian businesses that do US sales to navigate.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Very challenging times right now for Canadian businesses that do US sales to navigate.
I think the U.S. suppliers are the challenge, not the U.S. sales.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Tara and Tim
I think the best thing would be to go and look at them, either a trip to the factory or calling the factory and getting the names of some more or less local owners. These small trailers are not for everyone, find one of the smaller 19' class, and a larger 21 or fifth wheel to look over. Also look at conventional box trailers. If your husband is thinking a 35' double slide trailer with fireplace and big screen TV, and you are thinking cute cozy 19' fiberglass, someone isn't going to be happy.

Bathroom on the 21' is bigger then that on the 19 or 50.TA, which are the same. It's called a wet bath as the whole room is the shower.

There is quite a bit of difference between the 19 and the 21/5.0TA, space wise, so try and see both. A foot or 2 in length and a few inches in width make a big difference.