Old (really) RVer, interested in Escape 5.0 TA with questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Via 25T
Old (really) RVer, interested in Escape 5.0 TA with questions

I have been RVing for 57 years, but always motorized. First was a Corvair Van conversion (1962); we sold a 42' Holiday Rambler pusher about a year ago. Interim is Winnie Via 25T. We just bought a tricked out 2019 Ford 250 Diesel 6.7 mostly to tow an 8,000# boat trailer. However, are exploring purchase of an Escape 5.0 TA.

Two questions:

1. What is the head room in the bunk area of the 5.0 TA--is this easier to get in and out of (for an 83 year old )than as a Class C?

2. I noticed in an ad for a 5.0 TA for sale, one of the purchases stated that his short bed truck could not pull that trailer. The Ford 250, has a Crew Cab, and a 6'6" bed. It is already set up with the re-inforcement and supports, plus power etc for the 5th wheel towing. I understand that putting the hitch in, is just simple bolting. Is there any reason that a Ford 250 should not be able to tow the Escape 5.0TA?

It appears as though you have not only a great forum, but some very passionate members. I am sure I will learn a lot about towing a 5er from the group.

Best regards, Thanks in advance!

Bob Austin
Pensacola
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Your truck will be fine. I can sit up in the bed with head room to spare, I'm 6"2.

Couple things... There are 3 or 4 steps to get into the bed, there is no stair rail for going up/down. You have to scoot into and out of bed, there is no room on the sides of the bed to stand. It looks like the difference between the Via's bed and the Escape is the whole foot of the bed is open and there is 8" or so of room on the sides, you still have to scoot out though. The stairs are an issue for some of the older folks that have stopped by to look at mine. There is also a single step at the cabin door, you need to add a portable step or some such as it can be a long way from the step to the ground.

If you are really interested make sure you go see one.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Several members have added hand rails for assist on each side of the steps...if you ask Escape they can add reinforcement during the build for handrails or may even install them for you. Escape is known for customizations....just ask, oh by the way WELCOME to our little fiberglass world. If you contact the factory they can give you names of owners that maybe near you so you can view an Escape in person to see the quality of the unit.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
I noticed in an ad for a 5.0 TA for sale, one of the purchases stated that his short bed truck could not pull that trailer. The Ford 250, has a Crew Cab, and a 6'6" bed. It is already set up with the re-inforcement and supports, plus power etc for the 5th wheel towing. I understand that putting the hitch in, is just simple bolting. Is there any reason that a Ford 250 should not be able to tow the Escape 5.0TA?

It appears as though you have not only a great forum, but some very passionate members. I am sure I will learn a lot about towing a 5er from the group.
If that ad was about a Canyon the answers were in error. A V6 or diesel Canyon has plenty of towing capacity and the 5' 2" box can accommodate a 5.0. Our next door neighbors pull their 2018 5.0 with a V6 Canyon with a 5' 2" box. On every forum I've been on you need to filter out opinions versus facts.

We pull our 5.0 with a F150, 3.5 EB, and a 6' 6" box. Your F250 should have no problem pulling a 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
I have been RVing for 57 years, but always motorized. First was a Corvair Van conversion (1962); we sold a 42' Holiday Rambler pusher about a year ago. Interim is Winnie Via 25T. We just bought a tricked out 2019 Ford 250 Diesel 6.7 mostly to tow an 8,000# boat trailer. However, are exploring purchase of an Escape 5.0 TA.

Two questions:

1. What is the head room in the bunk area of the 5.0 TA--is this easier to get in and out of (for an 83 year old )than as a Class C?

2. I noticed in an ad for a 5.0 TA for sale, one of the purchases stated that his short bed truck could not pull that trailer. The Ford 250, has a Crew Cab, and a 6'6" bed. It is already set up with the re-inforcement and supports, plus power etc for the 5th wheel towing. I understand that putting the hitch in, is just simple bolting. Is there any reason that a Ford 250 should not be able to tow the Escape 5.0TA?

Best regards, Thanks in advance!

Bob Austin
Pensacola
Hi: thataway4... There is a 5.0TA pulled by a F150 supercab W/6'6" box, near Dade City Fl. Call ETI and I'm sure you can set up a view. We pull with a Ram 1500 EcoD. 5'7" box, running 20" tires and wheels. The major concern will be the height of the box rails from the ground at the axle. I'm an old codger and only now thinking about adding some hand holds to assist those nightly "Trips to the loo". As for coming down the stairs at night it may not look pretty but "I get 'er done". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040975.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

Thanks to all who answered. It appears that getting in and out of the bunk will be very similar to what we do getting into the bunk in our 25 foot C Dory pilot house outboard powered cruising boat.

I also got a nice note from Dale, who owns the Escape in Dade city. What a wonderful group!

Our best. We are going to do further investigation after the holidays!
Bob Austin
Old 12-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We had wall next to the bath door reinforced and then it's easy to securely add a handrail anywhere on that wall to hold onto coming down the steps. We also added a smaller handhold at the top of the steps, that one catches the corner framing inside the wall. We can climb up into the bunk on our own easily, but have found that for fumbling down the steps in the middle of the night the handholds are very handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Handrails.jpg  
Old 12-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Bob, there is another Escape owner who lives in Naples and also has a C Dory. He has an Escape 21 and was kind enough to show me his trailer when I was looking at Escapes. I ended up with a 19 which suits me better.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0
Carl and Alf are great resources. Because of them we bought the 5.0 and pull it with an F150 5.7 short bed. Just make sure you set it up to avoid jack knife issues. We are in Ft. Pierce probably a little far but we can show our set up if you wish. Kevin
kfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
Bob, there is another Escape owner who lives in Naples and also has a C Dory. He has an Escape 21 and was kind enough to show me his trailer when I was looking at Escapes. I ended up with a 19 which suits me better.
Thanks to all! I have known Jim (from Naples) C Dory owner for a number of years. He called me the other night to discuss! Small World!

We are looking forward to Exploring "your world".

Bob Austin
Old 01-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
I'm only 68 and have no need at this time for hand grips to get up/down the loft but that could easily change. But, I go down the same way I go up - facing the bed. If I had my butt towards the bed, inviting a slip possibility, then I'm sure that I'd want those grips now.