Our First RV - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 17' B
Our First RV

Just got our 2 week notice for selecting options. Wanted Frameless Thermal windows and then heard about issues with the smaller windows. Perhaps this has been resolved by Escape? Especially the bathroom window. We've got the 17B and will be towing with a 2010 Tacoma. Any thoughts on hitches or sway bars? Also wondering if the external shower was used all that much, maybe nice but not needed. Appreciate any and all advice Thanks Lana
LanaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I tow a somewhat lighter ( older ) 17B with a RAV4 V6 Sport. I use the least expensive ( Pro Series ) weight distribution hitch that ETI sells and sets up for you. I have no sway bars. Has been just fine for 10 years. Tow and trailer feel like a single unit.

I have the external shower, which we use more that the one inside. How much you use it would depend on your camping style. If you camp in heavily populated places, you might not use it much. Ours is mainly used for washing hair. I take the all-weather floor mats out of the RAV to stand on so mud doesn't splash up.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
The "problem" with frameless windows is a manufacturing issue, it is not something under Escape's direct control. I was told by Tammy that the problem resulted when the windows were over tightened. We've had no problem with ours.

We use our outdoor shower all the time. Anything muddy (dog, grandkids, boots) that needs a rinse, gets it outside. We have showered outdoors on occasion. We usually cook outside and then use the shower to wash the dishes- more elbow room and drying space than indoors. If you are going to use it, it is great. Otherwise...
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Unless something has changed recently the frameless thermal bathroom window was discontinued by the manufacturer, so with the frameless thermal window package you would get a frameless non-thermal bathroom window. Several people whose trailers were in process were notified of this change not too long ago.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We have a table under the external shower on the passenger side and use it for washing dishes. Its one of our favorite features of the trailer - hot water on demand while washing dishes outside!
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
I plan on adding an exterior shower on the passenger side and putting a table under it for dishwashing. We often camp with a group of people and I do a lot of the cooking using larger Dutch ovens. It's always been difficult to wash up larger bowls/plates etc. in the trailer, harder yet to find a place to dry them, and a pain to carry water out to clean the Dutch ovens. If it weren't for people on the forum discussing the various uses of an exterior shower, I never would have known the possibilities!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
If you don't want to take the mats out of your car, you can get a couple feet of that green grass looking stuff. I carry two 2'x2' squares for boat camping using hanging solar shower. one to put your clothes etc on and one to stand on. home depot 6x8 ft $20.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had the shower installed on both sides, one side for kitchen use and the other side for washing the bugs off the front and possible shower.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had the shower installed on both sides, one side for kitchen use and the other side for washing the bugs off the front and possible shower.
We did the same thing. Used the drivers side to spray sand off our shoes after a beach walk earlier today in fact.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I plan on adding an exterior shower on the passenger side and putting a table under it for dishwashing.
I’ve done two so far myself. One with Sharkbite fittings on a Scamp 16 and the other with Flair-it fittings on the Escape 19.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ort-14977.html
https://www.scampowners.com/forums/o...ray-portshower
Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
So far, all the developed campgrounds we have visited specifically exclude washing dishes, or throwing dish water on the ground at campsites. Do you wash dishes in a big pan, then throw the water in the designated dish water sump? Or do you exclusively boondock as we normally do?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 17' B
Thanks for the info as I did not know that. As this is our first RV, we will probable be doing some of each to see what we like best. Thanks again
LanaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have the thermal sliding windows and love them. Have the WDH supplied by ETI but we have a 21' trailer pulled by a Tundra. Had the external shower on our 19' and now on our 21' and used each once; however, our camping style usually means hook- ups and places that frown on showering outside. I use the inside sink with a collapsible insert if I'm worried about filling up the grey water tank (we have a custom sink which is deeper than the ETI sink). As indicated by others in the past ... it all depends on your camping style.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Just back from our first 4 week trip with our new 17B. All the small windows are now non thermal so for us that is all 3 windows by the dinette and the extra one over the kitchen sink. I was a bit disappointed the awning style windows didn't open more. Previously we had a tent trailer and never used the outside shower so we didn't get one this time and so far haven't missed it. I brought our camp stove to cook outside but really liked cooking in the trailer so never used it. I can see it might be nice to have in hotter weather. We got the ETI weight distribution hitch and found it helpful with our pathfinder. I might get an add on sway bar in the future for windy weather and interstate trucks. We loved the ETI solar system but need to figure out how to improve our water system to extend our boondocking time. Lots of fun and can't wait for our next trip. We also got the larger fridge and permanent bed, both I recommend.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote