Oven? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014--- 19 foot Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Mark and Pat
Oven?

My wife and I have just ordered a new 19 foot Escape and are looking forward to delivery. It is the perfect size for us. The only pondering was over the oven of all things. We have had one in a previous trailer but is the loss of storage space worth it in the 19 foot. Any suggestions.
Mark and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Working on my build list
Since you have had a trailer before, you know how you like to camp. Therefore, ask yourselves what you used the oven for in the last trailer? If you cooked in it, you might want another. If you mostly used it as another storage spot, a cabinet might work better.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014--- 19 foot Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Mark and Pat
Smile Re:oven

Thanks.. We did not use the oven very much.. Perhaps a toaster oven will suffice. Thanks.
Mark and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Pat View Post
Thanks.. We did not use the oven very much.. Perhaps a toaster oven will suffice. Thanks.
Or a BBQ.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We (really just me) angst-ed over the oven choice. We ended up not getting it and I continued to angst until I realized that the oven did not really have any more functional baking space than a toaster oven, which we then promptly went out and bought.

Of course the toaster oven is only usable when hooked up to shore power, but it works really really well. We set it up on a little table outside in our screen room, and plug it into the external outlet. We're now really happy not to have opted for the built in oven, but do know others who use theirs all the time.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Used the one in a previous trailer twice in 10 years. There are so many other options for cooking, and even baking, I would not want one. As you mentioned, the storage for us was more important. You can get way more in the space it takes up, than you can in the oven compartment.

We also do little cooking inside, preferring to keep the heat and odours outside, while we sit and enjoy the 'living room' space.

If you are one who really likes fresh baked stuff, it might be good for you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you want to camp without hookups, the oven is useful and I store my pans inside.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 21' Escape
We didn't have the oven in our previous trailer but decided to go with it in the 21' so we would have the option of baking cookies etc. Compared to the Casita we will have so much more storage we thought it would be nice to have
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

When I "show" the new 21' BlackJack, I always make a point of opening the refer and the oven together to show that there is still room between, a lot of oohs and aahhs when demonstrated.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #10

As an alternative to an electric toaster oven, Camp Chef and Coleman both make stand alone propane ovens and Camp Chef also makes an oven/camp stove combination. I have the Camp Chef combo and find it is useful.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ions-2612.html
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We went back and forth about the oven as well (actually included it on the first build sheet). After reading the posts and seeing how small the internal size of the oven was, we took it out of the build. We also thought about using it as storage; however, the thought of pots and pans rattling around inside and possibly doing damage squashed that idea. (Note: For Christmas, we received a Coleman camp oven from the kids and are anxious to give it a try.)
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #13

Like balgo alluded to, a BBQ works good too. I put a griddle, or a tinfoil tray, under what is baking to remove the effect of direct heat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
This stove top oven gets good reviews...
Omnia Stove Top Baking Oven
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #15

Not sure if it was here, or over on FGRV, that that Omnia and another stovetop oven were discussed. Both seemed to get good reviews, and produce good stuff.

edit: Found it. The other was a Fox Hill Oven.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...oven-1412.html
Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Who needs a built-in oven. My 12" dutch can cook anything you can and still enjoy the satisfaction of outdoor camp cooking!
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #17

when the ground is frozen or it has been raining for 3 days, remember that. cooking/baking outside has always been an option available to everyone, but inside…….??
Old 03-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #18

I have used a dutch oven a lot, and it is a great cooking vessel. However, it is way too heavy for me to want to bring along in our trailer, plus unless you bury it in coals, or at least put them on the lid, it cooks from the bottom up, leaving many foods cooked way more towards the bottom of the pan. At home, it is always the go to pot for cooking in the oven though, where it is fully surrounded by heat.

As shown in the link I provided for those two stovetop stoves, I have used the Outback Oven hordes of times in the past, mostly while on backcountry canoe trips. It is very light and packs small, plus works very good. You do have to be able to produce a controlled small flame to make it work good.
https://www.backpackerspantry.com/pr...oven-sets.html

I have been reading a bit on the Omnia and Fox Hill ovens, and it seems the Fox Hill might be the best performer, not too heavy, but a bit on the bulky side.

I really like the idea of the Omnia, and am very tempted to pull the pin on ordering one. Very light (0.5 kg), and not to big. The biggest downfall seems to be storing it, as it is a light aluminum.

Still, the BBQ does work great, but the Omnia could be making some nice bread while the steaks and corn are on the barby.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
There's nothing more satisfying than the smell of baking fresh bread in the camper on a hot, humid, rainy day inside. Or, slow cooking that big casserole, or a whole chicken, in the propane oven. Stovetop cooking might be more efficient but not if you got tendonitis, plenty of spare propane, or hate stirring things. If I had a stove I'd use it all the time not because I like to bake but just just to justify/even out the price-weight differential between a stove and a cast iron 4-quart-er. Yep, that's why we camp--so we can cook stuff longer like when at home. :
Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 17
Another one here who uses the over to store a bunch of pans.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote