Placed our deposit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Placed our deposit

We placed our deposit for a 21 footer this past Saturday after having viewed a 21 footer locally. We currently have a 17 foot Casita that we've owned for almost 10 years. I guess we've outgrown it… Ha ha

A good friend of mine said he didn't know many people that could say they're upgrading to a 21 footer.

It really does seem huge to us, believe it or not.

Our completion date is the end of April, but we plan on picking it up at the end of June.

We are stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Good for you! You will know everything that you want on the build sheet. Have fun doing the options.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Our completion date is the end of April, but we plan on picking it up at the end of June.

We are stoked.
Oooh exciting. But since your trailer will be ready, you should pick it up the end of May and attend the ETI Rally! Meet bunches of fellow members of this forum. As my Mother would say, "You may never pass this way again."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oooh exciting. But since your trailer will be ready, you should pick it up the end of May and attend the ETI Rally! Meet bunches of fellow members of this forum. As my Mother would say, "You may never pass this way again."
Hey Donna ! I wish we could, but we have to wait for school to let out so I can take my wife ! We're making this giant trip a part of our 30th anniversary celebrations.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Good decision

Having taken a first had look at a new 21' this weekend I shore you excitement. I'll be placing an order later this week.

Enjoy the experience. Dan
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
We placed our deposit for a 21 footer this past Saturday after having viewed a 21 footer locally. We currently have a 17 foot Casita that we've owned for almost 10 years. I guess we've outgrown it… Ha ha

A good friend of mine said he didn't know many people that could say they're upgrading to a 21 footer.

It really does seem huge to us, believe it or not.

We are stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations!!
This sure will keep you busy over the winter. And an exciting trip ahead!
Best wishes with everything!!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:

We are stoked.
We just placed our order for a 21' for the middle of April. We will be picking it up the end of June also. We are upgrading from a 13' Scamp.

We share your excitement! This has been years in the planning. I hope you enjoy (and share) the process.

Eric
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #8

Yes, very exciting. We've already received the build/options list and are going over that. Much planning to do...
Old 10-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, very exciting. We've already received the build/options list and are going over that. Much planning to do...
I agree. I asked for the options list several months ago to get a head start. The biggest thing we are debating are fabrics and a 12V/120V no propane fridge. When you get further in the process I would love to see what you have settled on for options. I will share also in a month or two. Have fun with it!

Eric
Old 10-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I agree. I asked for the options list several months ago to get a head start. The biggest thing we are debating are fabrics and a 12V/120V no propane fridge. When you get further in the process I would love to see what you have settled on for options. I will share also in a month or two. Have fun with it!

Eric
I am curious as to what is your rationale for wanting to forego the propane fridge?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Exciting Upgrade

We too "upgraded" from a 17' Casita to a new-to-us 2015 21' Escape that we've now had for about a year. It still seems huge, AND virtually perfect. We no longer have to carefully choreograph passing each other in the aisle. And the dogs (two standard poodles) particularly appreciate the additional floorspace. It's taken us nearly this long to find additional junk (but essential, of course) to fill all the additional storage.

Hope you love it as much as we have.
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a602pmcc View Post
We too "upgraded" from a 17' Casita to a new-to-us 2015 21' Escape that we've now had for about a year. It still seems huge, AND virtually perfect. We no longer have to carefully choreograph passing each other in the aisle. And the dogs (two standard poodles) particularly appreciate the additional floorspace. It's taken us nearly this long to find additional junk (but essential, of course) to fill all the additional storage.

Hope you love it as much as we have.

Sounds great, and very similar to our experience. We love the Casita, but the orientation of the bed and the narrow hallway are two prime reasons for stepping up to the "huge" 21. It really does seem huge to us though, so we're very excited. I guess if you moved from a sailboat it would also seem "huge".
Old 10-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #13

The one big option we're seriously debating is a solar panel. We already have a Honda 2000 with a propane (quick connect) kit, and it works great. We don't currently do much boon-docking, and never run out of battery power when we do (usually just a weekend). It's an expensive option, but should we, just because? Get ready for the next hurricane or zombie apocalypse ?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Solar eliminates having to take your batteries out for the winter unless you have the trailer hooked up to 120v while in storage, solar will keep your batteries charged.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Solar eliminates having to take your batteries out for the winter unless you have the trailer hooked up to 120v while in storage, solar will keep your batteries charged.

We do leave it covered (pole barn) and plugged in, so that's not an issue.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I am curious as to what is your rationale for wanting to forego the propane fridge?
The like the idea of burning less propane and using renewable energy. I have a "phobia" about water in trailers which drove me to fiberglass trailers in the first place and a 12V/120V fridge eliminates 2 more holes in the trailer. Also, I have read too many occasional issues with the 3 way fridges whereas the 12V/120V I installed in my Scamp has been reliable across the years and 30k+ miles and from the mountains to the desert. The choice does it have its significant downsides though....

Eric
Old 10-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
The one big option we're seriously debating is a solar panel. We already have a Honda 2000 with a propane (quick connect) kit, and it works great. We don't currently do much boon-docking, and never run out of battery power when we do (usually just a weekend). It's an expensive option, but should we, just because? Get ready for the next hurricane or zombie apocalypse ?
I elected to not get the ETI solar option. My rational was that, for the amount of panel you are getting, the ETI is pretty expensive. yes, it is installed in the best manner ETI knows, which from reading the forums, ETI has changed how they do this over the years. But I figure I can do a better solar system for less money. More watts, tiltable, better controller. So, if you are handy and willing to research and learn, I think it can be done better. ETIs is more a pre-made kit that they simply install.

And since you currently don't run out of power, it is not an issue. And it can always be added later if willing to do the work.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
But I figure I can do a better solar system for less money. More watts, tiltable, better controller. So, if you are handy and willing to research and learn, I think it can be done better. ETIs is more a pre-made kit that they simply install.
Correct. It is a kit that is installed. Tammy indicated recently that they use the Go Power GP RV-160.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-RV.../dp/B0028VXSH6
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We didn't get the solar option, but had ETI run the wiring so it would be easier to add later. Meanwhile, we already had a 3.1 amp panel (that we used with our Casita), and so far it has handled our needs (which are minimal). We like the flexibility of being able to EITHER put our panel on the roof OR set it up in a sunnier spot when the trailer is parked in the shade.

As always, YMMV.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
I elected to not get the ETI solar option. My rational was that, for the amount of panel you are getting, the ETI is pretty expensive. yes, it is installed in the best manner ETI knows, which from reading the forums, ETI has changed how they do this over the years. But I figure I can do a better solar system for less money. More watts, tiltable, better controller. So, if you are handy and willing to research and learn, I think it can be done better.
This is what I did, came out fine but it is a fair amount of work. Also had ETI run wires for a monitor.