Possible new buyer - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We allowed minimalism and frugality to overrule our common sense on many occasions
This allowed us to move from a tent to a sparsely equipped 16 ft Scamp to a 17 ft Casita to an Escape 21 to whatever comes next .
My only two suggestion would ‘#1 Buy the trailer and options you need , want and allow you to camp where and when you desire #2 Don’t let your current tow vehicle be the determining factor .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Good morning!

We talked about a 5.0 initially, but the cost of setting up our F150 for it discouraged me.

Also, lots of good advice here, but my suggestion if you get a bumper pull Escape is buy the tongue jack aftermarket. You can get them to lift 3500 lbs for under $100. Simple power hookup. I put one on our last fiberglass trailer. No biggie.

Good luck!

Frank
We are novices at towing and the considerations involved. We don’t have a tow vehicle and are planning to buy a F150 for this purpose.

Can you please explain the additional cost of setting up F150 for towing it? Any special considerations for F150 towing E5.0 are something we need to educate ourselves on.

Many thanks!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Since you have plenty of time, hopefully you will be able to arrange to see both a 5.0TA and one or more trailers in person, that will give you both lots more to think about as you consider them all. And whichever model you ultimately decide on, you will love your new Escape!
Indeed. We plan to but will be slow about it. The Covid situation in our area is getting worse and we are sufficiently concerned about it to not risk our or the other owner’s family health at risk for this purpose. That’s why we have yet to take up the generous offer from Dave and Penny earlier.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We allowed minimalism and frugality to overrule our common sense on many occasions
This allowed us to move from a tent to a sparsely equipped 16 ft Scamp to a 17 ft Casita to an Escape 21 to whatever comes next .
My only two suggestion would ‘#1 Buy the trailer and options you need , want and allow you to camp where and when you desire #2 Don’t let your current tow vehicle be the determining factor .
Steve - That’s exactly what we are thinking of. My wife has been slow to get on the boat (rv ) so we have a healthy dialog about the decision/direction. But, part of that is to confirm the trailer we want before deciding the tow vehicle. The fact that we don’t have a tow vehicle helps this.

After last night’s conversation with my wife, we are likely shifting attention to E5.0. And, I will be scouring the forum for advice about F150 configurations that make for the best fit.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One of the issues I have always run into in my decision making between a pull behind and a 5th wheel is the hitch set up. I have towed several Escapes and even ordered a 5.0 when the hitch situation came up. The unknown height and location vs the known 19" height and trailer hitch already installed always swayed me back to the pull behind. Hopefully you will be able to find a local hitch place than can install the 5th wheel set up you need. The other item is using the truck bed when not towing, is the hitch easily removed and reinstalled? All of these decisions made me a pull behind owner. I flip up the tonneau cover and my truck bed is there for handling big and bulky items.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
There is no better way to help make your choice easy than to see the trailers in person and to get inside them. That's when you'll just know... this is what I want.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Steve - That’s exactly what we are thinking of. My wife has been slow to get on the boat (rv ) so we have a healthy dialog about the decision/direction. But, part of that is to confirm the trailer we want before deciding the tow vehicle. The fact that we don’t have a tow vehicle helps this.

After last night’s conversation with my wife, we are likely shifting attention to E5.0. And, I will be scouring the forum for advice about F150 configurations that make for the best fit.
The Ford F150 seems to be the tow vehicle of choice for owners of Escape 5th wheels and would be my first choice
Escape offers a lot of options ( Both listed and unlisted ) which makes them unique but can also complicate the buying process .
For us , the ability to camp when and where we want , in varying climates and be comfortable doing it was more important than the upfront cost
I think the best advice we got was from Donna D and I paraphrase
“ It’s better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it”
( Solar - Air conditioning - Floor insulation - Inverter - Awning , Any option that can not be added later, ETC)
If you can make / keep the wife happy by purchasing the right Escape it will be a win win situation. IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
There is no better way to help make your choice easy than to see the trailers in person and to get inside them. That's when you'll just know... this is what I want.
Absolutely! This is what we want too. And, since we are not hurrying the decision - we will perhaps be able to do it as well. At the moment, however, the worries around Covid-19 for ourselves, the owners of the Escape who would let us see their unit and the older residents of our condo building hold us back in pursuing it right away,
Old 06-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One of the issues I have always run into in my decision making between a pull behind and a 5th wheel is the hitch set up. I have towed several Escapes and even ordered a 5.0 when the hitch situation came up. The unknown height and location vs the known 19" height and trailer hitch already installed always swayed me back to the pull behind. Hopefully you will be able to find a local hitch place than can install the 5th wheel set up you need. The other item is using the truck bed when not towing, is the hitch easily removed and reinstalled? All of these decisions made me a pull behind owner. I flip up the tonneau cover and my truck bed is there for handling big and bulky items.
Thank you, Jim! I think I understand it a bit better. One thing is that our towing vehicle will be bought for and dedicated to this use. We are a car family and don’t move a lot of bulky items. Bicycles would be the only exception to that rule...
Old 06-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The Ford F150 seems to be the tow vehicle of choice for owners of Escape 5th wheels and would be my first choice
Escape offers a lot of options ( Both listed and unlisted ) which makes them unique but can also complicate the buying process .
For us , the ability to camp when and where we want , in varying climates and be comfortable doing it was more important than the upfront cost
I think the best advice we got was from Donna D and I paraphrase
“ It’s better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it”
( Solar - Air conditioning - Floor insulation - Inverter - Awning , Any option that can not be added later, ETC)
If you can make / keep the wife happy by purchasing the right Escape it will be a win win situation. IMHO
We are in a similar boat. Similar motivations and thinking. The options you mention are definitely on our list.

It is a comfortable but substantial financial decision for us. So, we will take our time to educate ourselves (as we are definitely not very knowledgeable in this area). Will talk to people, try to see it in person as the infection situation comes under control, and then place the order in due course.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
One other thing to consider, I’m not sure I’ve seen yet it in this thread, is with the 5.0TA you lose the option of installing a canopy on your truck. For us, that would have meant we couldn’t bring our canoe while camping as it rides on a rack on our canopy. I’m also able to haul my fully assembled fishing pontoon without having to break it down every time we move camp. I like to put our dogs in the back, especially if they get wet and muddy, along with their gear (crates, etc). When not camping, the bed of the truck provides secure, dry storage. While this can be accomplished with a tonneau, I sure love having a canopy.

This was one of the main considerations (other than cost) when we decided to go with the 19. If you think you might want to bring any sort of small watercraft (e.g. canoe, stand-up paddle boards, kayaks) it will be tougher with a 5.0TA. Bumper pulls have this big advantage.

Best of luck making your decision, lots to consider!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #52

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
The 2018 5.0TA we purchased last fall is our second 5th wheel set up. The Andersen hitch was included with the trailer so that $600+ was not necessary, only the bed rails were all we needed for our tow vehicle, a 2016 F-150. Any standard rail system should work. I would pay that much and more for the security and comfort that a 5th wheel has given us with both trailers. The connection is solid, firm and predictable. Every pick up has a ball hitch and they can drag away any towed trailer if they really wanted it, not caring about damage. Not so with a 5th wheel, many fewer trucks have 5th wheel hitches and even fewer have the Andersen adapters. It could deter many amateur thieves, maybe even some more knowledgeable ones. Nothing can assure no one will ever steal a trailer we can only make it more difficult. This is seldom mentioned as an advantage, it is major to us.
Backing is slightly different, the hitch point is near or on the axle not 6' behind it. So the angle of the rear axle changes but the point of rotation does not change as quickly. But once moving the angle of the trailer changes immediately, predictable and quickly. Swinging a wide arc to line up with a parking spot is not needed, the trailer reacts that quickly.
Have great day!
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #53

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
This was one of the main considerations (other than cost) when we decided to go with the 19. If you think you might want to bring any sort of small watercraft (e.g. canoe, stand-up paddle boards, kayaks) it will be tougher with a 5.0TA. Bumper pulls have this big advantage.
It's amazing how creative people can get to overcome a problem! (It ended up being too inconvenient to load/unload and he doesn't use the rack anymore).
Attached Thumbnails
008+Canoe+Loaded.jpg  
Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
One other thing to consider, I’m not sure I’ve seen yet it in this thread, is with the 5.0TA you lose the option of installing a canopy on your truck.

Best of luck making your decision, lots to consider!
Thanks, salmo7000! Thanks for pointing it out. We are thankfully not water sports and also no dogs. So, we will be alright with that restraint. But, it is good to bear in mind.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
The 2018 5.0TA we purchased last fall is our second 5th wheel set up. The Andersen hitch was included with the trailer so that $600+ was not necessary, only the bed rails were all we needed for our tow vehicle, a 2016 F-150. Any standard rail system should work. I would pay that much and more for the security and comfort that a 5th wheel has given us with both trailers. The connection is solid, firm and predictable. Every pick up has a ball hitch and they can drag away any towed trailer if they really wanted it, not caring about damage. Not so with a 5th wheel, many fewer trucks have 5th wheel hitches and even fewer have the Andersen adapters. It could deter many amateur thieves, maybe even some more knowledgeable ones. Nothing can assure no one will ever steal a trailer we can only make it more difficult. This is seldom mentioned as an advantage, it is major to us.
Backing is slightly different, the hitch point is near or on the axle not 6' behind it. So the angle of the rear axle changes but the point of rotation does not change as quickly. But once moving the angle of the trailer changes immediately, predictable and quickly. Swinging a wide arc to line up with a parking spot is not needed, the trailer reacts that quickly.
Have great day!
Thank you! This is very informative. We definitely do not understand the hitch systems and towing, so this is all a learning experience.

We will be buying a pickup - most likely 2021 F150. I will read up the relevant threads on the board and ask my questions. There seem to be bewildering set of option choices. We will know about the safety and convenience related options but towing related ones (bed related - length, tonneau cover if any, bed liners, dividers, bed rails, etc.) we are completely clueless about.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #56

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i bought a 17 but wanted more space i went with the 5.0 easy to hitch and the combined length is about the same as my SUV pulling my 17 which is important at some national parks and ferry rides.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #57

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Hey KAVN:

I'm not that close but if you get to the Colorado Front Range, you are welcome to come by and see mine.

I would be happy to hook it up for you too. I think you will find someone in your area. There are plenty of these trailers out there.

But if by chance if near us, please come by!

One last point, I think all Escape trailers are minimalists in a way. There is no waste and so far I have the smallest RV anywhere I have been with it. Small but perfect (kind of).

We love ours.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #58

I wanted to put an image of my lock out there. I get some piece of mind having this lock in place. I think you can read the label.
Attached Thumbnails
pinbox.jpg  
Old 06-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #59

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Well now that you are thinking about the 5.0TA I'll throw in a few comments on them. We owned a 5.0 single axle, now a 5.0TA. We were perfectly happy with the single but wanted the extra space inside especially when spending weeks at a time in the south during the winter. Not sure we'll be doing that now though.

As has been pointed out the combo with tow is similar in length to a pulling a 17. We saved a lot on the expensive BC ferries to Vancouver Island. The fifth wheel is more secure an attachment which is why no safety chains involved, I worked "piggyback" for a railroad and saw railcars on their side with trailer still securely attached on the hitch. Also I've never experienced any kind of sway towing the 5.0's.

I find there's still plenty of room in the truck bed for what I need to carry and I must watch the payload weight anyway since I have a particularly heavy hitch, one with big locking jaws. I've never been able to fill all the storage space in the trailer. The cubby above the propane storage is large as is the under step storage.

Good luck with your continued research and hope you're able eventually to buy an Escape.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
My wife has been slow to get on the boat (rv ) so we have a healthy dialog about the decision/direction.
Wait till that heater kicks on in the middle of the night and everything start to get all cozy. Look out the window and realize where you are and everything clears up rather quickly! Propane is very efficient.

Especially when you are in a solar generating, small but perfect camper.

Snuggle up! It's gonna be a cold night.