Possible new buyer - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #161

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Hi Kavm
On your build sheet you have 2x6V batteries but you say you are planning to add Lithium batteries. If Escape still is not doing Lithium when you order your trailer, I would suggest you just stay with the standard 12V battery. No point paying extra for 2x6V if you are just going to switch them for lithium.
Hi Sean, Thank you very much for pointing this out! I wasn’t clear about whether the Lithium batteries substitute or supplement the 2x6V batteries. We will definitely get the Lithium batteries, so it is good that we can drop the 2x6V.

It is interesting to note that the Escape person I spoke with did not rule out (or in) the possibility of Escape offering Lithium batteries in the next year model. Also, she sent me a list of batteries as customer provided batteries that have been installed - and it included Battleborn batteries and a couple of other brands. She said that these are approved by them for specific trailer models and did not confirm (or deny) whether it was confirmed for E5.0. Since our order confirmation is a bit further out, I did not push for a resolution at this time. But, looks like they are moving in this direction.

Thanks again!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideline77 View Post
I would mention the F150 max tow comes with a lower gear ratio and also a heavier frame .
The regular factory tow package comes with the standard frame and a slightly higher gear ratio.
Both come with factory brake controller
I think the higher gear ratio will deliver a little better fuel economy, cost way less in purchase price.

Either one, make sure you get the 37 gallon fuel tank....it’s a dream come true having 37 gallons fuel.....

And by the way......I hiked Huashan Mountain in China
Google it
Hello Tideline,

Thank you very much for this note. We had not understood the key differences between the two tow package options. I had somehow assumed that we’d get the max tow package as that’s the main reason we are buying this vehicle. But, your post raises the question of which is the right tow package option for E5.0 and F150.

I will definitely try to research it further. If anyone else here has an opinion, I’d very much appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
Be aware that the seat along the base of the U dinette is only 18" from front to back, not 24" like the sides, and that the seat back is 2" thick, not 4", like the sides. These combine to make sitting on that part of the dinette less comfortable.

You can get the seat back made into 4" as an option. You can get a 12" wide filler cushion to insert along the base of the U to make it 30" front to back as an option. I asked to get a 6" wide filler cushion, which Escape agreed to, but they would not supply a support board to go under that 6" cushion. They will supply one for the 12" filler - they said that anything skinnier would not support somebody sitting on it. (I guess they think somebody might put the board and cushion somewhere away from the regular seat and sit on it by itself.) Ronn's post shows a filler that I believe is less than 12" wide. Just something else to think about.
Thanks for sharing this point. I had not fully understood that. I will make a note to to ask for 4” seat back option. As far as the width at the base (if I understand correctly), I am not as concerned. There will just be the two of us. Either we will sit upright (for dinner and such) or lounge with back against the base of the U and feet up on the sides of the U. Sitting on the base itself seems something we’d not need to do much - if I understand it correctly.

Thanks again for pointing it out.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #164

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I didn't go back and read all this, but something to keep in mind. If you get a single battery, then you get a single battery box. You may be able to ask for a double but you'll have to check. Unless lithiums don't need boxes.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #165

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Be aware that the larger the rear seat of the U-dinette is the less space you have under the table for feet and subsequently the table size will be affected the same (smaller).
In my case, that is less of a factor because I am getting a 21NE, which has the largest dinette space of any current Escape. It is 56" from front wall to the bathroom wall, rather than the 48" or less for the 21C and most other models. (I think the 17A and 17B may be closer to the 21NE.) It is something for everybody to keep in mind, though.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #166

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
In my case, that is less of a factor because I am getting a 21NE, which has the largest dinette space of any current Escape. It is 56" from front wall to the bathroom wall, rather than the 48" or less for the 21C and most other models. (I think the 17A and 17B may be closer to the 21NE.) It is something for everybody to keep in mind, though.
Yes, good point, with the 21NE you should have lots of space below the table.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #167

Trailer: Shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Hello Tideline,

Thank you very much for this note. We had not understood the key differences between the two tow package options. I had somehow assumed that we’d get the max tow package as that’s the main reason we are buying this vehicle. But, your post raises the question of which is the right tow package option for E5.0 and F150.

I will definitely try to research it further. If anyone else here has an opinion, I’d very much appreciate it.
https://www.f150forum.com/

A wealth of F150 info
Tideline77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I didn't go back and read all this, but something to keep in mind. If you get a single battery, then you get a single battery box. You may be able to ask for a double but you'll have to check. Unless lithiums don't need boxes.
Our first choice would be to have Escape itself install the Lithium batteries. If they do, hopefully - they'd have a thought out configuration. Will research, discuss and seek advice on it otherwise.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #169

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I got my 2014 E21 I requested a larger group 29 battery which was installed in the larger battery box. when I later switched to dual 6 volts they fit. You may want to ask for the larger battery box if you get the smaller stock battery, They just placed 2x4 around the perimeter to keep the battery in place inside the box.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #170

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Sean -

Thank you! This is very helpful!

I am interested in the Lithium batteries. In one of the online videos from Escape, I did hear the President say that he is looking into it. So, I am hoping that Escape itself offers it as an option by the time we are finalizing our order.

That said, I am not entirely educated about batteries, how much runs what for how long and the level of difference between the 6v battery pack vs the Lithium (I know the latter is more powerful but how much more?).

We will soon turn attention to F150 - get advice and buy that (will likely be 2021 delivery). Once we are clear on when we will have the tow vehicle - we will firm up the order with Escape. Checking in their order lead time next week.
Here is a page on my conversion from lead acid to lithium in my Escape 21C.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #171

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Jon
I found your post on your conversion very helpful when I did my conversion, in particular the Progressive Dynamics board swap to accommodate lithium charging, and the battery monitor as well. Thanks for all your details in all your postings. Very helpful to all of us!!

As for a battery box, in our 19, we have the 4 batteries in the front storage box. I took out the wood framing that Escape had to keep the batteries in place, and replaced it with my own framing, then put a metal bracket for security around all the batteries. They are very solid within the storage box, and it will a require a determined thief a bit of effort to remove them.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Here is a page on my conversion from lead acid to lithium in my Escape 21C.
Thanks a lot for sharing your excellent experience, Vermilye! Very nice indeed! I have saved the page in my Escape folder for returning to it.

We definitely plan to do this. We don't have the skills and, more important, confidence to try to make it happen ourselves. So, will engage either Escape or another third party to help install. My recent exchange with Escape suggests that they have installed Battleborn batteries for customers. We will find out in due course and will share the experience here.

Many thanks!
Old 07-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Lithium batteries don't need any kind of special battery box. They do not vent so no precautions needed in that regard. Like any battery they just need to be held securely and protected from the elements.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #174

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Lithium is lighter than lead-acid too. So you save some weight.

Usually I see them in serial. 2 6 v batteries together. I have also seen four of them this way. The nice thing is you can go way below the 50% discharge mark without any penalty. It is about twice the capacity per battery. You will need a new mppt controller to manage energy flow. And the new technology seems to have solved the flame problem. Battleborn batteries are about $825 each, last time I checked.

Tito has a nice video on his conversion.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #175

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Usually I see them in serial. 2 6 v batteries together. I have also seen four of them this way.
Are you sure? Battleborn only has 12V and 24V lithium batteries that I'm aware of. The 12V's would be wired up in parallel in most applications.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #176

The Battle Born Batteries I have are 12V, 100A, so in my case I have 4 of them connected in parallel, leaving the voltage at 12V, but having 400A.
The prices may have dropped since I bought my batteries last year, but mine cost just under $1000. I did get the golf cart sized batteries, which cost a bit more, versus the standard battery size. The gold cart size just fit better in my front storage box
Old 07-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #177

I said the gold cart size fit my front storage box better. I guess I was thinking of the cost of the batteries and assumed they were made from gold. I meant golf cart sized batteries
Old 07-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #178

Sean - Doesn't look like the prices have gone down a lot. The google prices range from 950 to 1050 - depending upon the model for 100AH 12V Battleborn Lithium batteries. The GC2 model is the more expensive one. I don't know if there is a trade discount for, say, 4 batteries but doesn't seem like you did badly in price.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #179

Those were the same prices as when I bought. Because I was buying 4 they gave me a small discount. It also includes free delivery anywhere in the Continental US. I had mine shipped to a P.O box in Blaine WA, which worked well pre COVID.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #180

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Are you sure? Battleborn only has 12V and 24V lithium batteries that I'm aware of. The 12V's would be wired up in parallel in most applications.
I could be mistaken. I believe I misspoke. Thanks for the correction. Consult Tito for exact set up.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote