Possible new buyer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you are going to use a weight distribution hitch and if you plan to age, you will want a power hitch jack. I want one.
Thank you! I have added it to my option list.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I get it!

Tim's Beta

Hiking mileage:15,000
Years:38
Whitewater miles: 4-6,000
Nights out: Good grief

Car camping is too much to calculate.

At one point I had nine working backpacking tents. I live in Boulder! You should see the backyard!

I get it. You will too, later! That's just an opinion. You and your wife, will never regret the extra space. Never! They don't come with much! Oh, by the way, the 5.0TA will be about the same length as your 15 footer! Minimize that! Just a little humor there!

Did I mention, they are all good and you will LOVE whatever you decide on! True!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Nice idea, UncleTim! We are, and even more importantly - my wife is, a minimalist. The whole trailer buying, going anything beyond the smallest trailer is a stretch for her. She will think that I have lost all my sense if I suggest anything beyond 19 ft. So, can't really go there...

We are very straight and narrow - hiking is our main passion. And, a good hike helps the sleep a lot. Not long ago, we hiked to the Everest base camp - and slept 12+ hour every night without interruption for 2 weeks!

It helped that it was freezing (upto -10C inside the tea house) and there was no light to speak of
Can't resist putting in another plug for the 5.0TA. When hitched up, it is the same length behind your truck as a 17....easier and arguably safer to tow as well. What keeps many people from getting a 5.0TA is the requirement to have a half ton pickup to pull it - if you are thinking of getting an F150 anyway it is sure worth considering. We are fellow hikers - haven't been to Everest but did make it rim to rim at Grand Canyon several years ago.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #24

I floated all 280 miles of it from Lee's Ferry to Pierce's Ferry.

The 5.0TA took on a little water in Lava Falls but did fine otherwise. Kidding, didn't have her then, and I didn't get the optional oar kit!

Minimize gear on the trail, spoil her rotten when you get home!
Old 06-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
3. TV: We are not planning to buy aTV or TV connection. We hardly watch the TV at home, so definitely don't need it in the trailer!
You have probably figured it out by now but TV is being used by responders to mean tow vehicle not television.

Welcome to the forum. Coming from a tent the 19 would will be luxurious and likely the perfect size. Good amount of storage, dual axles and still able to tuck it in to smaller sites. You really should try to see the different models in person to make the best decision.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:09 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
There is a lot to be said for minimalism and it will make even more sense when you realize how much less maintenance, etc. a smaller trailer requires. Of course, it sounds like you already know this.
We love the 19, it's a great size and layout for where we've been and where we're heading. Already had ours since 2015 and it just keeps getting better.
You will enjoy the trailer, whichever one you decide on.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Not long ago, we hiked to the Everest base camp - and slept 12+ hour every night without interruption for 2 weeks!

I envy you! Both for the climbing and the sleeping.

Choose well and have maximum fun!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thank you! I have added it to my option list.
Hi: kavm... Here's a pic of our "Minimalist" 5.0TA. You can't get more basic than that. A new trailer is born. LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
021.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #29

Rubicon327 - Thanks for clueing me in on TV! Had not thought of tow vehicle as TV.

For everyone recommending E5.0 - I did look up the details. Does look very impressive and the numbers are not very different from E19/21. Mentioned to my wife but she’d not entertain it. I should not press my luck!

I sent an email to the Escape company requesting a conversation - mainly to better understand some of the options though the threads here have been immensely useful.

I do have one question: We live in a multi-storied condo building, height limited garage and will be needing to rent parking for our trailer. I have looked at what is out there, thought not very thoroughly. Closer to the city is quite expensive (could add up to 1500-2000 per year for covered parking). A bit further out in one direction could be half that. With that background, the questions that arise:
  • How important is covered parking? Thinking it is necessary but worth confirming.
  • How important is climate control? Thinking it is not necessary with winterization, but...
  • How important is the ability to plug in? Not clear...

Assuming not plugged in, one might be starting with a warm refrigerator and only partially charged batteries. Does anyone have experience / advice relating to this?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you get solar then your batteries will be sold maintained, just add water twice a year. Uncovered lets the solar work. Wash and wax once a year and you will be fine.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #31

Thank you! We are definitely getting solar. Our area is indeed quite sunny. Just did not know of impact of open (uncovered) parking on the trailer.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Thank you! We are definitely getting solar. Our area is indeed quite sunny. Just did not know of impact of open (uncovered) parking on the trailer.
Probably no different than your automobiles, maybe even better.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Probably no different than your automobiles, maybe even better.
Thank you! That's what I thought...
Old 06-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #34

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Hello Kavm,
Welcome to the forum! You’ve received excellent advice from many of the very experienced Escape owners here.

Briefly, I agree that coming from a minimalist camping experience to an RV is entirely a new realm.
Also, I agree that you would probably feel that a 19’ is luxurious and spacious enough for you and your wife.

However, keep the near future in mind... Is having more space a possible consideration for the future? For example, more hiking gear, skiing gear? Visitors staying with you? Perhaps you’re considering acquiring a dog at some point? Do you or your wife have hobbies for rainy days when you’re stuck inside? Those take up space.

If there’s any possibility of moving up to a 21‘ in the future, keep that in mind for the purchase of your TV. Ensure that it can tow the 21‘ weight as well.

We purchased a 19’ at first. Going from a tent to the escape was such a great experience, and we thought it was huge in comparison regarding space and function!

However, after using it for about a year, the two of us felt we needed just a little more space. We both like to fish, my husband bikes, and I love to paint in watercolors and acrylics. We discovered that the gear began to crowd us out. We also felt we needed a bit more interior space flexibility as well as comfort.

So, we sold that one, and after a couple year’s hiatus, decided to purchase the 21‘. We are picking it up next week and I can’t wait! I’ll have slightly more accessible storage. But we also created a lounge from the U-shaped dining area.

We just believe that the interior of the 21’ has more utility and options for walking around, seating comfort, and storage.

Just a few things to keep in mind. Best of luck with your decisions!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I won't try convincing the OP to move up to a 21 or 5.0. I don't know anything about the Bronco but if the 2.7EB is anything like one we have in the F150 then you'll have plenty of power. Many Escape owners tow with the F150 2.7EB. Artlady suggested you may want more room for gear, well then I would suggest the F150. Then you'd have a full truck bed to utilize and if you wanted to add a cap then you'd have even more room.

Just my two cents worth, well that's worth nothing since here in Canada we eliminated the penny and 2 would be rounded to zero. Welcome to our Escape world!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good suggestion, Adrian. We had storage problems with our Scamp 13 years ago, towing it with an SUV. Some FT’s suggested we get a PU with a bed cover. We changed to the PU with a back-flip cover and it resolved the storage issues.
We still use the same system today with our 19 and don’t have any storage issues. The F-150 is a good suggestion for a TV.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #37

Artlady -

Indeed. The response from the forum has been tremendous - warm, pertinent and full of information. Very helpful indeed. The E5.0/21ft decision is more my wife's call. I mentioned it to her already will run it by her before we make the decision.

emers382 -

Thank you very much! This is very helpful. While the Bronco engine is not announced, the promised 6 cyl engine (believed to be 2.7EB is identical to that in F150). Will get more details once it is revealed and we can look at it. We are giving ourselves plenty of time and not trying to get the trailer right away. Given the Covid situation, not sure how many camping trips we could do anyway around this time. It's somewhat depressing to be stuck at home but don't think a change of location to an ICU is particularly attractive idea We are enjoying the wonderful hiking and biking right here for now.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:21 PM   #38

UncleTim, davidmurphy02, escape artist, emers382, Artlady: I discussed all the voice of experience and advice from all of you (others have given excellent advice too, but the E5.0 idea came up late in the thread) with my wife. We discussed the tow vehicles as well. To my surprise - my wife was open to E5.0. The idea of the more space, somewhat bigger shower and better bed alignment, better towing experience and fit with the likely towing vehicle we were thinking about appealed to her.

As you read my recent posts - I did not think this was possible but she is my better and more sensible half for a reason!

We are not in a hurry and are going to mull it over further but we might well end up switching to E5.0! All due to your thoughtful and persuasive advice! So many many thanks!
Old 06-30-2020, 06:16 AM   #39

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Good morning!

We talked about a 5.0 initially, but the cost of setting up our F150 for it discouraged me.

Also, lots of good advice here, but my suggestion if you get a bumper pull Escape is buy the tongue jack aftermarket. You can get them to lift 3500 lbs for under $100. Simple power hookup. I put one on our last fiberglass trailer. No biggie.

Good luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #40

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
UncleTim, davidmurphy02, escape artist, emers382, Artlady: I discussed all the voice of experience and advice from all of you (others have given excellent advice too, but the E5.0 idea came up late in the thread) with my wife. We discussed the tow vehicles as well. To my surprise - my wife was open to E5.0. The idea of the more space, somewhat bigger shower and better bed alignment, better towing experience and fit with the likely towing vehicle we were thinking about appealed to her.

As you read my recent posts - I did not think this was possible but she is my better and more sensible half for a reason!

We are not in a hurry and are going to mull it over further but we might well end up switching to E5.0! All due to your thoughtful and persuasive advice! So many many thanks!
Since you have plenty of time, hopefully you will be able to arrange to see both a 5.0TA and one or more trailers in person, that will give you both lots more to think about as you consider them all. And whichever model you ultimately decide on, you will love your new Escape!