Possible switch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Casita SD17
Possible switch?

I have been full-timing the US since October 2014 in a new Casita SD17.
The Escape 5.0TA is calling to me.
Currently have a Chevy Traverse as our TV; that would have to change.
Other than the trading up for the trailer and the tow, are there any other cost spikes I may incur?
Insurances, registrations, etc?
I'm hoping a good pickup truck might actually save me gas costs.
Thanks for accepting me into your community!
Global2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Welcome to the forum. Lots of nice people here. No shortage of opinions. Several members are full timing, one or more after selling their Casita. Do an advanced search for the member Red Dog, he has 582 entertaining posts. We have, in the past, referred to him as our man on the ground. Seems to pop up every where.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Casita SD17
Thanks. Will read his posts.....
Global2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes but he doesn't have a 5.0 does he? I am doing something similar moving from a 17 to a 5.0 . I had to let go of my Toyota and bought a ford 150. that was hard now trying to decide on hitch and finalizing my build sheet. Sold my 17 last week. Seemed a little overwhelming but step by step getting it done!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Global2 View Post
Thanks. Will read his posts.....
Hi: Global2... Check in with C&G in FL... They have a 5.0TA and a F150 2.7L twin turbo Supercab 2X4.
At the moment the weather's too hot to handle down there for them.
Here's a pic of our rig. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040548.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Global2... Check in with C&G in FL... They have a 5.0TA and a F150 2.7L twin turbo Supercab 2X4.
At the moment the weather's too hot to handle down there for them.
Here's a pic of our rig. Alf
Hello,

I just ordered a 5.0, and am wondering if my 2007 Frontier (4.0 / 6.1' bed / 60,000 mi) will do the job. I see that you're towing with a Frontier. Any issues, or is it doing the job? I love my Frontier, and I don't want to change if I don't have to.

Any info would be appreciated.
Rapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapha View Post
Hello,

I just ordered a 5.0, and am wondering if my 2007 Frontier (4.0 / 6.1' bed / 60,000 mi) will do the job. I see that you're towing with a Frontier. Any issues, or is it doing the job? I love my Frontier, and I don't want to change if I don't have to.

Any info would be appreciated.
Hi: Rapha... I'm quite happy with the 2010 tow and we are nearing 100,000 mi. and might treat the truck to new spark plugs this summer. As long as we're careful loading and carry little in the truck, the cargo limit and tow capacity are fine...contrary to some on the forum.
If it gets too heavy I will get my wife to walk in front of the rig and carry a warning flag!!!
I did change the std. mirrors for these... Nissan Frontier Trailer Tow Mirrors... http://www.1aauto.com Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1030712.jpg   P1030548.jpg   P1030550.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi: Rapha... I'm quite happy with the 2010 tow and we are nearing 100,000 mi. and might treat the truck to new spark plugs this summer. As long as we're careful loading and carry little in the truck, the cargo limit and tow capacity are fine...contrary to some on the forum.
If it gets too heavy I will get my wife to walk in front of the rig and carry a warning flag!!!
I did change the std. mirrors for these... Nissan Frontier Trailer Tow Mirrors... http://www.1aauto.com Alf
Hi Alf,

You made my day!!! LOL, I'll have to see if my wife will do the same. "Time for cardio, honey." Would you mind telling me what kind of hitch you're using? This whole 5th wheel business is very new to me. Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Global2 View Post
Other than the trading up for the trailer and the tow, are there any other cost spikes I may incur?
Insurances, registrations, etc?
I'm hoping a good pickup truck might actually save me gas costs.
Thanks for accepting me into your community!
We have a 2014 5.0TA and have spent a couple winters, 3-month stays, in it in relative comfort. It is a small space for two people and a cat. We previously had a Scamp 19, but have had no experience with a pull-behind trailer.

Your insurance and registration costs would probably go up some, based on the increased value of the upgrade in both the trailer and tow vehicle. The only other increased costs of owning a 5.0 TA over your Casita would be when it was time to replace tires (4 instead 2) and batteries (two 6-volt instead of one 12-volt).

We recently bought a Ford F150 Supercab, 2.7 Ecoboost, 6.5' bed, 2wd with the max towing package, 2,100# payload. In towing it to, around, and from FL, about 7,000-miles, we got 16-18 mpg. We use the Andersen Ultimate Hitch with the B&W Turnover Ball and like it very much, smooth towing and easy to remove for full bed access when not towing.

Hope this helps with your decision,

David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi Alf,

You made my day!!! LOL, I'll have to see if my wife will do the same. "Time for cardio, honey." Would you mind telling me what kind of hitch you're using? This whole 5th wheel business is very new to me. Thanks again!
Hi: Rapha... Never thought I'd be doing something healthy for my wife!!! I'll just stick to my "SlimFast" Diet. We have a Husky EZRoller 16K slider hitch. It is a hold over from our 1st. rig. In 2008 we bought the first 5.0 Escape 5th. wh. trailer east of the rockies and also the PO's GMC short box pickup truck, hitch and all!!! When I changed trucks we just moved the hitch over to the Nissan Fronty... Why not... I owned it. Any 5th wheel hitch will do and Escape Trailers has a good hitch shop close by. Here's some pic's of the hitch in the Fronty. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1020904.jpg   Ready to get hitched.jpg   That's it!!!.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi: Rapha... Never thought I'd be doing something healthy for my wife!!! I'll just stick to my "SlimFast" Diet. We have a Husky EZRoller 16K slider hitch. It is a hold over from our 1st. rig. In 2008 we bought the first 5.0 Escape 5th. wh. trailer east of the rockies and also the PO's GMC short box pickup truck, hitch and all!!! When I changed trucks we just moved the hitch over to the Nissan Fronty... Why not... I owned it. Any 5th wheel hitch will do and Escape Trailers has a good hitch shop close by. Here's some pic's of the hitch in the Fronty. Alf
Alf, thanks so much for all the info. It looks like you've got a lot of experience with these trailers. I'm happy that I ran into you here on this forum. This is a great forum, by the way. It seems that nice people like yourself will save me a lot of headaches down the road! Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Alf, thanks so much for all the info. It looks like you've got a lot of experience with these trailers. I'm happy that I ran into you here on this forum. This is a great forum, by the way. It seems that nice people like yourself will save me a lot of headaches down the road! Thanks again!
Hi: Rapha... When we changed trailers in 2014 for the double axle 5.0TA from the single axle 5.0, Tammy's dad at ETI just lowered the hitch plate one set of bolt holes to make it level. He said the trailer was 1/2" to high on the nose. It took him all of 5 min's with his impact wrench. Here's a pic of the result. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1030644.jpg  
Old 06-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi: Rapha... When we changed trailers in 2014 for the double axle 5.0TA from the single axle 5.0, Tammy's dad at ETI just lowered the hitch plate one set of bolt holes to make it level. He said the trailer was 1/2" to high on the nose. It took him all of 5 min's with his impact wrench. Here's a pic of the result. Alf
Hi Alf,

That sure is a sweet looking rig. I'm a little bummed that I won't be picking up my trailer until December, then a few months until I can go on my first real trip. Ah, well....the things worth doing are worth waiting for, I guess. It sounds like the folks at Escape are very helpful. I can't wait to be part of this group! Take care, and thanks again. I hope you don't mind me bugging you once in a while.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi Alf,

That sure is a sweet looking rig. I'm a little bummed that I won't be picking up my trailer until December, then a few months until I can go on my first real trip. Ah, well....the things worth doing are worth waiting for, I guess. It sounds like the folks at Escape are very helpful. I can't wait to be part of this group! Take care, and thanks again. I hope you don't mind me bugging you once in a while.
Hi: Rapha... The 5.0TA is worth the wait. On our maiden voyage from BC. back to Ontario we stopped in Mountainview Alberta for a photo op. I sent an email copy of it to Tammy and It became the poster child for an ad campaign in Trailer Life. To think that Reace was not going to build them any more till we got our 2007 5.0. What a shame that would have been. Just you wait till you get chased down the road, or cornered in a Wallo-Mart parking lot, or at the gas pumps. Then you'll know just how good this trailer really looks.
As for bugging me I'm used to it!!! At this Flying J we had people wanting to see our wee one... The big guy didn't. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg