Preparing for Full Time RV Living - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 21’ Escape
Welcome!

We live full time in our 21' and absolutely LOVE it!! Ditto what Red Dog said in that we wouldn't change a thing. We have experienced 18 F the last few overnights and with the spray foam insulation and tank heaters we have had no issues and have stayed very warm inside.

Our Escape is much better quality than other travel trailers we've had in the past and I think it will hold up very nicely to our full time use. Used Escapes really hold their value so in order to get all the options you want you may consider getting a new one.
Adventures in Nomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventures in Nomadness View Post
We live full time in our 21' and absolutely LOVE it!! Ditto what Red Dog said in that we wouldn't change a thing. We have experienced 18 F the last few overnights and with the spray foam insulation and tank heaters we have had no issues and have stayed very warm inside.

Our Escape is much better quality than other travel trailers we've had in the past and I think it will hold up very nicely to our full time use. Used Escapes really hold their value so in order to get all the options you want you may consider getting a new one.
Hello ladies! Saw your YouTube video today interviewing Karl. Great job and lots of exciting things ahead for Escape trailers!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I would agree with what others said I don't think there is a trailer manufacturer that will tell you their product is made to full time, yes some are 4 season but that's a different thing.
Anything you live in will need maintenance, even a tent, when it comes to a RV or travel trailer how you use it has a lot to do with how well it survives that use. Are you moving a lot so things get bounced around more, add to that when you move is on paved roads or forest service roads?
I personally see no reason why you could not live full time in an Escape if you wanted to.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RE: Ask the man who owns one....
Attached Thumbnails
ArroyoGrandeDad.jpg  
Old 12-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
1950?

Hi Myron
Thanks for the picture, without research I’m guessing that your Packard is about a 1950 vintage automobile. We never had any Packards but had a 1950 Buick with similar lines. It was a Special. Black, four door, with a straight 8 engine and Dynaflow transmission. First car I ever drove at 100 mph. But not the last. The Buick slogan back in the day, “When better cars are built, Buick will build them.”
Iowa Dave
Old 12-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Remind me not to let you borrow my 5.0 Mustang........
Old 12-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Myron
Thanks for the picture, without research I’m guessing that your Packard is about a 1950 vintage automobile. We never had any Packards but had a 1950 Buick with similar lines. It was a Special. Black, four door, with a straight 8 engine and Dynaflow transmission. First car I ever drove at 100 mph. But not the last. The Buick slogan back in the day, “When better cars are built, Buick will build them.”
Iowa Dave
That's amazing - Exact same car/engine/transmission for my first 100 MPH. But mine was gray.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #28

My dad bought that Packard brand new. He bought it when he got recalled for Korea. Stationed at Camp Cooke, somewhere near San Louis Obisbo. Made at least 8 round trips from California to New Jersey in it, back in his day, with nothing worse than a flat tire. Claimed that engine was the same one they put in tanks. Drove us back to NJ in it once. After he separated, back home someone stole that swan off the hood.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Old car memories are a romance that’s just about as good as the romance that occurred in the car. And the embellishment is about as vibrant too. Those big old lead sleds with the big steering wheels, no power steering and straight brakes, and a Sonomatic AM radio (Buicks)...... well they were quite a ride.
The pace of life might have been slower then but pushing those nylon cord tires with the wind coming back through those wing windows is something I doubt I’ll forget.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #30

On that drive home from California in the Packard what I remember most is us being stuck in heavy traffic in a very dark sandstorm somewhere in Nevada, windows tightly closed, no air conditioning of course. Oh, and seeing my first one-armed bandit at a gas station. Dad was in a hurry but with mom taking turns at the wheel it was still a 5-day drive.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Greetings from Kentucky also, we have a 2015 5.0TA and live in central KY. You can PM me for further info.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyandFiona View Post
Hello from Kentucky! In about 4 years, we plan to live full time in our RV. We currently own a truck camper, but have decided that we need a bit more room and comfort for long-term. The Escape appeared in my internet search and we instantly fell in love with the 5.0 TA. Unfortunately, they are nonexistent in our part of the country and internet info is limited. I hope to learn more through this forum. When the time is right, hopefully I can find leads on a good used one.
We have a 2015 5.0TA and live in central KY, you can PM me for more info.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Northstar
Thanks Jeff P. I would like to see one of these in person. We would be up for a road trip, if you are willing to give us a grand tour of yours sometime.
SunnyandFiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyandFiona View Post
Thanks Jeff P. I would like to see one of these in person. We would be up for a road trip, if you are willing to give us a grand tour of yours sometime.
SonnyandFiina, sure that would be fine. Currently she is in the RV Shed on our property. Someone is always here.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #35

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Considering some less fortunate souls in my home town in Eastern iowa where temps routinely drop below zero in the winter, “full time” under bridges and interstate overpasses, obviously full timing to most means a high degree of comfort.......all the time. Can you imagine sleeping in a brush pile, along a creek in the dead of winter with only a sleeping bag and a couple of blankets?
Point well taken. I had business that took my to NYC during December. Witnessed many suffering people - most with mental illnesses huddled over grates that emitted steam or between 2 corners to avoid the cutting wind. And this on Lexington, 3rd, and 5th avenue.

Quote:
We are coming up on the time of year where Allied soldiers fought the Battle of the Ardennes 75 years ago. Compared to that endeavor, very few of us know discomfort, camping or otherwise.
Amen. I recently read Jeff Shaara's "No Less Than Victory" (nearly non-stop) which is about the counteroffensive in the Ardennes forest know popularly as the Battle of the Bulge. Talk about adversity and courage...
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
When I bought my trailer in 2014 I emailed ETI to ask if it was suitable for full-time use. I got a reply saying no-- the trailer needs to "air out" on occasion. To me this implied that the high humidity from constant occupation would damage its interior somehow. And if I recall correctly, full-time use would void the trailer's warranty.

However, I have lived in my Escape 21 for up to six months at a time and have not seen any degradation of the interior other than what I have caused from my own clumsiness.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jon V routinely stays out for long periods, perhaps 10 months at a time and then there are several full timers, Fred & Dora to name a few. I' m not aware of any negative responses on the full timing issue.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #38

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
When I bought my trailer in 2014 I emailed ETI to ask if it was suitable for full-time use. I got a reply saying no-- the trailer needs to "air out" on occasion. To me this implied that the high humidity from constant occupation would damage its interior somehow. And if I recall correctly, full-time use would void the trailer's warranty.
Verbiage in the Owner's Manual stresses that full-time use may reduce warranty protection. I think this is just flexible language that protects them from someone misusing the trailer and trying to get every little thing covered under warranty. As a practical matter I'm not exactly sure how they would know you full time or not unless you disclosed it. Also what is the exact definition of full-time? All year round? More than 6 months per year? Also chapter 2 is titled "Effects of Prolonged Occupancy" with some great tips for controlling condensation.
Attached Thumbnails
full time.JPG  
Old 12-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape19 2016
I've been living fulltime in my 19' for almost two years on Vancouver Island and I absolutely love it! We get snow here in the winter but it usually doesn't last long. I have a heated water hose, and I installed a heater on the black tank and the black tank elbow. I have a small circulating-oil heater inside which is quiet and keeps the trailer warm. When I ordered my Escape, I added thermal windows and extra insulation to the build list. Soon after I took possession I washed and polished the exterior and that makes it much easier to clean. Once in a while we lose power at this RV park, but I'm more comfortable in my trailer than I was in my house - I can still cook, drink cold beer, stay warm, and read. Appliances in houses are not long-lasting either, so I won't be disappointed if I have to replace something in a few years. I keep the fan on almost all the time and keep the window in the back open a bit so that helps reduce condensation. And I roast vegetables - less steam : )
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Hunt View Post
I've been living fulltime in my 19' for almost two years on Vancouver Island and I absolutely love it! We get snow here in the winter but it usually doesn't last long. I have a heated water hose, and I installed a heater on the black tank and the black tank elbow. I have a small circulating-oil heater inside which is quiet and keeps the trailer warm. When I ordered my Escape, I added thermal windows and extra insulation to the build list. Soon after I took possession I washed and polished the exterior and that makes it much easier to clean. Once in a while we lose power at this RV park, but I'm more comfortable in my trailer than I was in my house - I can still cook, drink cold beer, stay warm, and read. Appliances in houses are not long-lasting either, so I won't be disappointed if I have to replace something in a few years. I keep the fan on almost all the time and keep the window in the back open a bit so that helps reduce condensation. And I roast vegetables - less steam : )
Good for you ! Sounds like you are happy with your choices ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote