Prospective buyer - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We also like the curved door and the wide open screen door.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
In my opinion a flat door would negatively impact the visual appeal of the Escape design .
It would be easier to manufacture and instal. That is likely why others do it.
I hope Escape does not change their moulded door design in the future.
Brian
A flat door will allow for a much better seal. The fit of our curved door on the 19 was probably the thing I liked least about the trailer. Besides, the new door needs to follow the reshaping of the mould.

I am really keen on the revealing of the trailers from the new moulds.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Glad to know I'm not the only one that finds it challenging to clean by the door. I'm cleaner in the trailer than in my house -- microfiber sounds good -- we use the hand vac --
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Curved doors don't have a sealing problem because they are curved - just look at your car or truck doors and frames, which seal better than any RV and are nowhere near flat or straight. The important thing is that the door and frame match, and that's tough to achieve and to maintain in moulded non-cored fiberglass.

Most RV manufacturers use flat doors because their walls are flat, or because they can readily and inexpensively buy flat doors.. and door frames, and latches, and integrated screen doors.

The outside of the door could be curved to follow the trailer wall, while at the same time the inside could be flat to match the frame against which it would seat. This would require substantial changes to four or five moulds (door inner skin, upper and lower body shells, door frame, and possibly door outer skin). I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #45

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I carry a small vacuum for the dog hair....
You should obtain one or two Labradoodles. Great dogs and the don't shed. Although:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one that finds it challenging to clean by the door. I'm cleaner in the trailer than in my house -- microfiber sounds good -- we use the hand vac --
We carry a dustbuster to "sweep" between the screen track and door frame.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
And the little extra we get inside the door frame . Pat

When we took our grandsons camping for the first time they called the door an "airlock". And when you look at it through their eyes it's easy to see. Now anytime we exit/enter our Escape it's through the airlock. [emoji6]
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
When we took our grandsons camping for the first time they called the door an "airlock". And when you look at it through their eyes it's easy to see. Now anytime we exit/enter our Escape it's through the airlock. [emoji6]
I can totally see that . Love the imagination of kids . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
With the exception of Airstream, every other RV door I've seen is flat. I like the look of Escape's curved door, but mine at least doesn't seal well. I think a flat door would seal better.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
With the exception of Airstream, every other RV door I've seen is flat. I like the look of Escape's curved door, but mine at least doesn't seal well. I think a flat door would seal better.
Why couldn't the seals be better . Car and trucks aren't straight . We like the look of the curved door and as has been mentioned the air lock coming and going . Pat
Old 02-12-2016, 11:24 PM   #50

Cars are solid metal (mostly). This makes them rigid. I would bet that there is minor differences in the shape of every Escape shell. The door itself is likely more uniform in shape than the shell is.

I like the idea of a well sealing flat door.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Cars are solid metal (mostly). This makes them rigid. I would bet that there is minor differences in the shape of every Escape shell. The door itself is likely more uniform in shape than the shell is.

We hope Escape doesn't change the door to flat . It was one of reason's we liked the look of the trailer in the first place. We can live with the door not sealing . I believe anything can be fixed or improved if it presents a real problem down the line . Pat
Old 02-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've noticed light coming through the door seal. I just accept it as passive ventilation. I've never attempted to 'fix' it.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've noticed light coming through the door seal. I just accept it as passive ventilation. I've never attempted to 'fix' it.
Glenn we have a lined curtain anyway to cut the light at door window and cold . Pat
Old 02-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #54

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
flat door

I don't think Escape will change their doors to flat but it would simplify production One 28 inch door for all their trailers with built in screen .They would have 3-4 hinges VS two .Not only would it be stronger but screen door would hold up better .Now from an aesthetic look I like the look of the Escapes better with their door but for practical reasons the flat door would be better .
Anyway if Snoozy would put in more storage and have a bigger trailer I might stay with Snoozy but they don't. So Escape for the $ and quality can't be beat .When I started looking Escape and Snoozy were the only trailers I wanted .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #55

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
doors

I spray water to help clean it when we get home using a spray nozzle and at times on the road we use the car washes that take quarters and have a strong spray, we have yet to have water get into the trailer. Our door must fit quite well.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Flat door are certainly far more common than curved doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
All of the early moulded fiberglass trailers had curved doors - Boler, Trillium, etc. Current models derived from Bolers still have curved doors, except the 17' model of the Casita line (smaller Casitas still have curved doors). Generally trailers that I've seen following the Trillium design (which includes Escape) have stayed with curved doors. Even trailers just entering production, such as the Nest, include a curved door if fit with the curved body is important - the Nest has a curved door even though it is laid out like a Lil Snoozy and has the door in a nearly flat and vertical rear wall.

Most trailers have flat walls, so of course they use flat doors. Only moulded composite (fiberglass) and formed aluminum trailers (which means Airstream) logically have doors in curved body areas, so I don't think it's surprising that only those trailers have curved doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Cars are solid metal (mostly). This makes them rigid.
It is certainly true that cars and trucks have much more rigid bodies, and that addresses the problem which I mentioned:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The important thing is that the door and frame match, and that's tough to achieve and to maintain in moulded non-cored fiberglass.
I like the idea of a door which seals well. Just making it flat would not make it seal, because the flat door frame would not stay completely flat any more than the curved door frame stays in the intended curve. Escape has a better-constructed door frame area than traditional moulded fiberglass trailers (such as my Boler), with the moulded inner frame section bonded to the outer shell. Apparently this isn't quite enough - or the door isn't stiff enough, or some combination of those - and being flat wouldn't change the situation unless it enabled the use of a reinforcing element such as an aluminum extrusion embedded in or fastened to the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I don't think Escape will change their doors to flat but it would simplify production One 28 inch door for all their trailers with built in screen .They would have 3-4 hinges VS two ...
The Trillium/Escape door design - using those "refrigerator" hinges on raised pads - allows for as many hinges as desired. If it's just a hinge issue, an Escape could have more if the mounting areas were incorporated into the moulds.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #57

Trailer: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I don't think Escape will change their doors to flat but it would simplify production One 28 inch door for all their trailers with built in screen .They would have 3-4 hinges VS two .Not only would it be stronger but screen door would hold up better .Now from an aesthetic look I like the look of the Escapes better with their door but for practical reasons the flat door would be better .
Anyway if Snoozy would put in more storage and have a bigger trailer I might stay with Snoozy but they don't. So Escape for the $ and quality can't be beat .When I started looking Escape and Snoozy were the only trailers I wanted .
Jennykatz...I'm probably where you were before you purchased yours. The Snooze has almost everything I want/need but less storage than the Escape. In addition, Snooze will customize and paint the cabinets whereas Escape won't. The interior length is about 1 ft. longer in the Escape but doesn't matter much to me. So much to think about!
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #58

On women, I love curves. With doors, I like 'em flat.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #59

Trailer: None yet
BrianB-P...noticed you mentioned Nest Caravan in your post! WOW...what a beauty. I've been in touch with Mr. Johans and waiting for him to announce his marketing plan. I'd love to see one before I commit to anything. Anyone out there see one yet?
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
BrianB-P...noticed you mentioned Nest Caravan in your post! WOW...what a beauty. I've been in touch with Mr. Johans and waiting for him to announce his marketing plan. I'd love to see one before I commit to anything. Anyone out there see one yet?
Robert put a heck of a lot of thought into the Nest, that's for sure. Lots of feature packed into a small size. It may sound silly, but not having a table, if you or for the permanent bed, it's a no go for us. Love lots of the materials and finish though.