Prospective buyer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Prospective buyer

Hello to all!
I haven't yet committed to ordering a 19' trailer at this time but have been getting my questions answered by ETI. They are very easy to work with and answer my questions quickly. The one issue I keep trying to resolve is that of the cassette toilet. I know ETI will not install them but they did advise me that someone out there has. How should I order my bathroom configuration to fit the cassette? How difficult and expensive is it to install? Will probably use one of the Thetford models.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Although there are other brands of trailers with cassette toilets, and even one with moulded fiberglass construction (like an Escape), I have not heard of anyone actually putting a cassette toilet in an Escape.

The challenge with installing a cassette toilet is that it is designed to fit against a flat and vertical exterior wall with a door over it, for access to the cassette. Moulded fiberglass trailer bodies typically have few flat areas and no vertical areas; the Lil Snoozy does offer a cassette toilet, but it is against the rear wall, which is vertical in this unusual rear-door layout. In a non-vertical wall, the wall would need to be modifed to have a flat and vertical section, with either an inset door over it or a shaped door (like the trailer's main entry door) and a hinge design which would accommodate the curved body.

I wondered if I had missed a discussion in which someone mentioned installing a cassette in an Escape so I did a quick search, but all I found were these:
Has anyone installed a cassette toilet in their Escape?
Cassette Toilet Option?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Thanks, Brian. Those posts were the only ones I've seen. Sarah thought there was someone who might have installed the cassette. I can't stand the thought of black water, dump sites, etc. Yuck! Thanks for the explanation. I've seen the Snoozy and was very impressed. I think the Escape is a much nicer trailer and will handle somewhat colder temps better than Snoozy . So many choices, so little time!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The Snoozy is all electric too, I believe.

With the raised platform that the Escape toilet sites on, which part of the black tank is inside would make it tough to install even a porta potty, without raising it fairly high, or reworking the walls of the bath to remove that ledge. Without turning the toilet against the outside wall, and doing some fiberglass work to accommodate the cassette access (as it does need to be flat like Brian said), I just can't see it happening, nor worth the trouble.

I do like the concept of a cassette toilet, especially if boondocking a lot, but it certainly would not be a deal breaker. Either way, with a hose or a cassette, you are still dealing with the black water to a similar degree.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #5

Good info, Jim. Hmmmm,,,tough decisions ahead.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a Thetford cassette in my T@da, a 2.5 gallon model which was nice in the winter as you could fill it's own separate holding tank with auto windshield solution and it would not freeze. The problem with Snoozy is that you have to use the on board tank, thus this would not work with the solution. Either way, you had to carry and empty the cassette into a toilet which could get messy. The conventional hose in the Escape is simple, put on pair of gloves and you do not
have to be exposed to anything.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I've never had to deal with a black tank before, but I can see myself out there wearing not only gloves, but also goggles and a surgical mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had a Thetford cassette in my T@da, a 2.5 gallon model which was nice in the winter as you could fill it's own separate holding tank with auto windshield solution and it would not freeze. The problem with Snoozy is that you have to use the on board tank, thus this would not work with the solution. Either way, you had to carry and empty the cassette into a toilet which could get messy. The conventional hose in the Escape is simple, put on pair of gloves and you do not
have to be exposed to anything.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #8

I usually have soap and water handy, and if so forego the gloves. Never had anything close to needed goggles and a mask happen. LOL
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In addition we normally limit our use of the bathroom in the camper to liquids only and try to use cg facilities for the other reasons.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #10

I'm kind of squeamish about "that" stuff, but it's probably not near as bad as I am imagining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I usually have soap and water handy, and if so forego the gloves. Never had anything close to needed goggles and a mask happen. LOL
Old 02-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I've never had to deal with a black tank before, but I can see myself out there wearing not only gloves, but also goggles and a surgical mask.
Yeah...me, too! And after that, de-contamination!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #12

That is our plan exactly, so that will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In addition we normally limit our use of the bathroom in the camper to liquids only and try to use cg facilities for the other reasons.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Disposable gloves if I can find them or good old soap and water. Emptying the black tank is no different then cleaning the barn and much better then finding brussel sprouts on your plate [emoji6]

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
and much better then finding brussel sprouts on your plate [emoji6]
Or Irish Cream in your coffee.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh for heaven's sake. Haven't you folks ever changed a baby's dirty diaper? Trust me, dealing with the black water tank is waaaay easier (the hose doesn't squirm around) and actually cleaner as you do get to wear gloves if you want
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I hope you realize that you are walking around all day the contents of a black tank inside your own body.
Who wipes your bum?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Or Irish Cream in your coffee.
At least your better half has good taste.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
At least your better half has good taste.

Cheers
Doug
Yeah, you girls are all the same.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Nothin' to it after the first couple of times. Just don't watch that Chevy Chase RV movie......

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
With the raised platform that the Escape toilet sites on, which part of the black tank is inside would make it tough to install even a porta potty, without raising it fairly high, or reworking the walls of the bath to remove that ledge. Without turning the toilet against the outside wall, and doing some fiberglass work to accommodate the cassette access (as it does need to be flat like Brian said), I just can't see it happening, nor worth the trouble.
Good point - there is that interior challenge, too. The step is just in the bathroom moulding, but changing that would be a significant piece of fiberglass work.

The step is to go over the black tank, which of course would not be used with a cassette toilet; the floor is simply flat.

Some models of cassette toilet (e.g. the Thetford C-200) have a bowl which can be turned so that the exterior access can be to the side, rather than the rear, of the toilet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote