Prospective New Owner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 trailmanor
Prospective New Owner

Hello Everyone,
Prospective 21 owner and I would like to get feedback on tow vehicle. Currently tow a 2012 3124KB Trailmanor, tow weight about 3700 lbs. with a 2010 Honda Ridgeline rated 5000 lbs. with a tongue rating of 500 lbs. Ridge pulls the Trailmanor great and I have no problem maintaining 65 MPH on flat or slightly rising interstate. Get 15-16 towing 20-21 not.
I know that this truck is not the recommended choice as a V8 or Ecoboost V6 would be, but the Ridge is a great daily driver and does everything I need a truck for and it is paid for. Plus I don’t want a full size for a daily driver if I can avoid it. I drove several full size Ford pickups in my business pulling tandem axle trailers and I know that they handle loads better than mid-sized trucks, but I would like comments from Ridgline owners if there are any.
Mainly towing in southeast and NC and VA mountains, plus a planned extended trip (3-4 weeks) out west next year. No long range plans to full time.
Thanks in advance,
John in NC
JSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpain View Post
Hello Everyone,
Prospective 21 owner and I would like to get feedback on tow vehicle. Currently tow a 2012 3124KB Trailmanor, tow weight about 3700 lbs. with a 2010 Honda Ridgeline rated 5000 lbs. with a tongue rating of 500 lbs. Ridge pulls the Trailmanor great and I have no problem maintaining 65 MPH on flat or slightly rising interstate. Get 15-16 towing 20-21 not.
I know that this truck is not the recommended choice as a V8 or Ecoboost V6 would be, but the Ridge is a great daily driver and does everything I need a truck for and it is paid for. Plus I don’t want a full size for a daily driver if I can avoid it. I drove several full size Ford pickups in my business pulling tandem axle trailers and I know that they handle loads better than mid-sized trucks, but I would like comments from Ridgline owners if there are any.
Mainly towing in southeast and NC and VA mountains, plus a planned extended trip (3-4 weeks) out west next year. No long range plans to full time.
Thanks in advance,
John in NC
I don't have a Ridgeline, but I have a somewhat related perspective for what it is worth. I owned a 2007 Odyssey with the similar 3.5L V6 engine. I towed just a 13' Scamp several times through various mountain ranges in Canada and the USA. It was a capable tow vehicle with that ~2000lb trailer but at elevation and at notable grades, it was sometimes all it could do to keep above 45mph but the vast majority of the time it would hold 60mph on various grades. I have a 21' on order and went with a F-150 Ecoboost. I'm with you that I'm not in love with it as a daily driver though. YMMV.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome John in NC,
Have you seen an Escape in person? There are several owners in your area. Contact the factory and they can give you some names and numbers. I think you vehicle will probably like towing a 19 Escape more than a 21 Escape as far as weight and tongue weight. Do you know if Honda can handle a w/d set up?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
A few years ago, I had a 2720 TrailManor, newer model, really liked it. As much as I liked it, definetly prefer my Escape. It has many of the pluses of the TM, like being light, but few of the disadvantages. I towed both with my six cylinder Toyota Venza and was pleasantly surprised at how well the Escsped towed vs the TM. And I’m talking a trip to Alaska. I think the tandem axels really make a positive difference on the Escape. I think u will be fine with ur Ridgeline.
I would highly recommend an Escape.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Hi John, I don’t know about the Ridgeline but we have a 2014 Tacoma with the 4Ltr V-6 and it pulls our 21 Escape just fine. I tow at moderate speeds 60 - 65 MPH and have gotten an average of 12 mpg. You do know you have a trailer behind you winds and semi’s will move you a bit. I have Sumo Springs and they have helped with the suspension, I imagine with a larger truck mileage would be similar but you wouldn’t have to think about the suspension. If I were to change vehicles I would most likely go for the Chevy Colorado with diesel.
Good Luck.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Hi John, There are several Escape owners who tow with a Ridgeline and at least one who tows a 21. Unfortunately he hasn’t posted in awhile. When I last spoke with him, he was very happy with the combination.
One of the most important features of a lightweight trailer, is the ability to tow with your primary vehicle. You don’t need, and in our case, don’t want a dedicated tow vehicle. Yes, a full size truck would be better for towing, but for some a smaller truck or SUV is better as an everyday driver. The ability to tow a quality lightweight trailer, such as an Escape with a superb vehicle, such as a Ridgeline, is the best of both worlds.
We decided first that we wanted to get back to trailering. We decided second that we did not want a dedicated tow vehicle. We bought a quality vehicle capable of safely towing up to 5000 lbs, then set our sights on finding the finest trailer in that weight range. 2 1/2 years ago, we discovered Escape, and couldn’t be happier.
I’d proceed with your Ridgeline. I think you will be very happy with the versatility. If your towing experience leads you to re-prioritize and you want a stronger tow vehicle, you can take your time and find the right blend for your lifestyle. Good Luck!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpain View Post
Hello Everyone,
Thanks in advance,
John in NC
We have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 290.000 Kilometers on it and we have ordered a 19' Escape (completion date of Jan. 31/18). Originally was looking at the 17' Escape but I convinced my wife that a 19' would be a better size for us. Looks like the dry weight of the 21' Escape at 3,260 lbs. is only 260 lbs. more that the 19' so shouldn't be a problem for the Ridgeline to tow. We have a truck cap to carry most of our camping gear so storage in the trailer will be minimal. I love the Ridgeline and will buy a new one in the next couple of years. It would be nice if it had a slightly greater towing capacity and a lockable tail gate but other than that it is perfect for us.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdusty View Post
... I love the Ridgeline and will buy a new one in the next couple of years. It would be nice if it had a slightly greater towing capacity and a lockable tail gate but other than that it is perfect for us.
I still find it hard to believe Honda won't put a lock on the Ridgeline's dual-action tailgate yet there is a third-party lock available for it.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdusty View Post
We have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 290.000 Kilometers on it and we have ordered a 19' Escape (completion date of Jan. 31/18). Originally was looking at the 17' Escape but I convinced my wife that a 19' would be a better size for us. Looks like the dry weight of the 21' Escape at 3,260 lbs. is only 260 lbs. more that the 19' so shouldn't be a problem for the Ridgeline to tow. We have a truck cap to carry most of our camping gear so storage in the trailer will be minimal. I love the Ridgeline and will buy a new one in the next couple of years. It would be nice if it had a slightly greater towing capacity and a lockable tail gate but other than that it is perfect for us.
It is not only the weight but the size impacts the difference. The 21 is longer and wider and will necessitate auxiliary mirrors and the larger size will also impact mileage. I have owned both.....
Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: JSpain... For my money I'd try towing the Escape with the Ridge. You already own it and if you find it inadequate then you can change it out when necessary. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Good advice from Alf. A loaded 21' may commonly have 4300-4400 lbs. but could have a few hundred more pounds depending upon your needs. Also, if you plan to do a lot of mountains or run across the country on Interstates a lot, you might want more than a Ridgeline. No one has to have a V8 to meet the numbers but people decide what is comfortable for them as far as what they load. Need to look at the GCWR from manufacturer as well as GVWR.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: JSpain... For my money I'd try towing the Escape with the Ridge. You already own it and if you find it inadequate then you can change it out when necessary. Alf
Hey Alf!!! What money- you're always crying dem blues dude

While I don't disagree with Alf the probability is you WILL be trading up if you can afford it as you stated you do a lot of mountain driving. Yeah, you can do it, but you may well realize you don't want to do it. There are plenty of folks here who have traded up in tow vehicles- from Ridgelines to 4Runners & Highlanders(myself included) yet haven't heard of anyone going the other direction. It just takes more work and patience of having an engine going through the gears more when on a grade not to mention the noise from high RPM's. Again, for some it's fine, yet for most it would seem otherwise.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Another big factor is how much the trailer is used. We have quite a few people who are retired and travel the country a great deal using the Escape many months of the year. But there may be more people who are not retired and go out once in a while and do not use their trailers nearly as much, so that their tow vehicle is used 80-90% of the time for non-towing.

Then we also have some who have dedicated tow vehicles. So you "need" what you need or want based upon your situation with your travel and numbers.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While it isn't a Ridgeline, I have a 21 that weights in at 4600 lbs & tow with a 2016 Tacoma Off Road. While the tow weight is well within Toyota's specifications, the combination of tongue weight (450 lbs) and all my junk is pushing the GVWR (Weight the truck can carry).

I have the new 3.5L engine, which I'm not all that pleased with. The truck by itself is a joy to drive, both on & off road, but towing it spends too much time in 3rd gear at 4000 RPM (towing speed is usually 58 - 60 MPH). While the truck does the job, I feel it is working too hard. I know others tow 21's with a Tacoma, so it may be just me. It was a great combination with a 3000 lb 17...
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #15

When we ordered our 2017 21', we knew it was more than our 2002 Highlander 3.0L V6 with 175,000 miles could or should handle (primarily tongue weight). We had good luck with Honda in the past, and we looked long and hard at the new model Ridgeline. We really liked it - except - everything seemed to be "just enough" for towing a 21' (tow weight, tongue weight, GVWR, etc.) with little margin for error. We finally decided we wanted the comfort of knowing that we had more than enough tow vehicle than needed for whatever our future travels might throw at us, and we up-sized to a full-size. No regrets. But that's just us....
Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hey Alf!!! What money- you're always crying dem blues dude

While I don't disagree with Alf the probability is you WILL be trading up if you can afford it as you stated you do a lot of mountain driving. Yeah, you can do it, but you may well realize you don't want to do it. There are plenty of folks here who have traded up in tow vehicles- from Ridgelines to 4Runners & Highlanders(myself included) yet haven't heard of anyone going the other direction. It just takes more work and patience of having an engine going through the gears more when on a grade not to mention the noise from high RPM's. Again, for some it's fine, yet for most it would seem otherwise.
Hi: Rossue... Has more to do with losing money at trade in time than what my "Mad money" acct balance is!!! croc o' tears. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Townsend TN Rally

John,
The 11th annual Townsend rally will be held on April 18+
If you want to come visit with a few Escape owners, usually 8 to 10 attend this one, and you could discuss towing experiences. Not too far from you for a day trip, or bring your current trailer.
It's at the KOA. Ask for the special rate.

April 18-22, 2018 Townsend, TN Eggscursion - The Egg Camping
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 ETI 19
I just traded in my 2016 Tacoma V6 for a Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost. For me the primary issue was payload by the time I added tongue weight, WDH, people, gasoline, shell I had enough payload left over for a carton of paper towels in the back of the truck. Also I live in Salt Lake City so every trip is over mountain passes. I took the hit and traded up because I like to have more than "just enough". The F150 is no harder to drive around town than the Tacoma. Trading-up is expensive so it pays to get it right the first time.
dinnyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
New Ford

Everyone loves to hear the specifics of new tow vehicles: cab size, trim level, axle ratio if you can find it, how many gears, and even color.

You know you now have to track your gas mileage religiously, so you can report towing and non-towing results. Actual calculations, no computer estimates on the MPG, please.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
John,
The 11th annual Townsend rally will be held on April 18+
If you want to come visit with a few Escape owners, usually 8 to 10 attend this one, and you could discuss towing experiences. Not too far from you for a day trip, or bring your current trailer. It's at the KOA. Ask for the special rate.
Or come on over to Green Eggs & Ham at Gunter Hill Campground (federal Corp of Engineers) just outside of Montgomery, AL, in mid-March. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...18-a-9862.html
There's been around 100 rigs lately, mostly fiberglass, and it looks like there will be around 10-12 various model Escapes this year. Last I heard, the campground is full for the rally, but sites open up from time to time as peoples' plans change.