Questions about trip planning for Eastern Canada trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
Questions about trip planning for Eastern Canada trip

Hello
I am planning a long trip through Eastern Canada this summer (June through September 2015). This will be my first long trip with my trailer, Eggsistential the Free Range Egg. Although I live in Texas, and have a Casita (but love those Escapes), I joined this Forum in the hopes of getting the benefit of the experiences of Canadian travellers (I am a dual citizen). I have general questions about how far in advance one should make campground reservations (I would like to keep things as flexible as possible), info/suggestions for internet access, and I would love to get route and campground suggestions.

Generally, I will be leaving Texas in June, crossing into Canada at the east end of Lake Ontario. There are a couple of border crossing options, so suggestions on selecting one would be welcome.

I will do some visiting in Ottawa, then head east by way of the Eastern Townships of Quebec. My route from there is undetermined, but I think I have time to see a lot in the Maritime provinces, including Newfoundland.

My style is low-key, low budget to the extent possible. I have a solar panel, so I am capable of boondocking occasionally.

I will have my road bike with me, so if there are any cycling opportunities you know of, please make a suggestion.

I am interested in the visual arts, and do a bit of drawing and painting, and would love to know about quirky museums/art galleries/neighbourhoods etc.

I know this is pretty open-ended, but that means all info is welcome!

I look forward to hearing from you, and hope to have an opportunity to give back to the forum.

KathC
KathC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
KathC, let me be the first to welcome you to our forums. There will be others ...

If you've got some time and our schedules work out, you'd be welcome to drop in for a visit and a view of our Escape 19 when you're in Ottawa.

For border crossings, Ogdensburg and Wellesley Island are both reasonable choices -- neither is very busy. We seldom encounter waits of more than a few minutes.

You will find the Canadian national and provincial camp grounds fairly expensive. And, if you plan to ferry your trailer across to Newfoundland, you'll definitely be stressing your "low budget" style. I can't be of much help for low-cost alternatives -- we generally suck up the high costs of provincial/national camp grounds because we like the settings they usually occupy.

Ottawa is a good cycling city. I've heard both Montreal on Quebec City have good cycle paths as well, though I've not cycled there myself.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Welcome Kathy.

Look up the user "honda03842" and subject "newfoundland" on The Fiberglass RV Community -- Norm and Ginny have a ton of info on their travels thataway.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

Thank you both, DBailey and BCNomad.
DBailey: I would love to take you up on your offer for a visit and a "viewing" of your Escape. I have a brother and nephew in Ottawa, and I spent the last two summers in Ottawa - the cycling opportunities are truly amazing. I will be in touch.

And BCNomad: thanks for the contact on Newfoundland - I will definitely check it out.

I love these forums!

best,
Kathryn
Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
We took a month long trip from Central NY to New Brunswick & Nova Scotia last June. My trailer and a couple in a tent. The only reservations we made were at the Ponderosa Pines campground at Hopewell Rock because we were meeting another couple there. Had a great time & didn't have any problems finding sites. Here is the journal of the trip.

For an interesting crossing at the East end of Lake Ontario, take the ferries that go to & from Wolfe Island. More fun than the thousand Islands bridge on I 81.

The private one from the US to the island is small - the combination of my Escape 17B & RAV4 tow vehicle hung off both sides of the ferry (I was parked crossways). Some photos & the description is on this page of my blog.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
We took a month long trip from Central NY to New Brunswick & Nova Scotia last June. My trailer and a couple in a tent. The only reservations we made were at the Ponderosa Pines campground at Hopewell Rock because we were meeting another couple there. Had a great time & didn't have any problems finding sites. Here is the journal of the trip.

For an interesting crossing at the East end of Lake Ontario, take the ferries that go to & from Wolfe Island. More fun than the thousand Islands bridge on I 81.

The private one from the US to the island is small - the combination of my Escape 17B & RAV4 tow vehicle hung off both sides of the ferry (I was parked crossways). Some photos & the description is on this page of my blog.
Jon
More great info! I recognize you from the casita forum, and I think I have seen your trip summary. Thanks for reminding me of it.
KathC