RV upkeep/repairs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: None
RV upkeep/repairs

I am wanting to get into some RV travel in retirement.... I am a bright guy but I have no mechanical atptitude - sadly! I mean I really can't fix anything around the house. So....... will I find it frustrating to try and be an RV owner and traveller? I am looking at an Eclipse 19 or 21 ..... my research tells me that Eclipse builds good quality. I have thought of an Oliver as well. ... anyway ..... I just welcome some honest feedback about how others have experienced theirs trailers.

Thanks

John
FrJohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome John to out Escape world,
Can you change a flat tire? That would be critical since you will have 2 vehicles with tires. Change a light bulb, add air to tires, hook up a water hose? These are some basics. If you use the cg facility and not your trailer, dumping waste would not be important. Read a map or program GPS, research, "How To " videos on line. As Donna says all you need is a credit card and pay someone else to do it.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Welcome.
Honestly, I can’t imagine thinking back over the years and all our trailers, not being able to do needed mods and field repairs myself. Normally, most items are quite simple fixes, but will cost big time and $$$ at RV repair facility or mobile mechanics.
Can trailering be done without mechanical skills, yes many do but they offset it with $$$ and patience. Most here report long waits to get appts with RV service centers especially during season.
You just need to evaluate your tolerance levels and how these inconveniences will affect you, because no matter how good the trailer is, regular maintenance needs to be done and things will break and need attention.
Good luck and let us know how you proceed.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
There are RV maintenance schools for owners if you have the time and don't mind the price. One example: https://nrvta.com/.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hi John, and welcome!

I have always been pretty handy so it would be hard for me to advise someone with a different skill set that everything will be fine. What is easy for me may be quite difficult for another. So might I suggest that you hop over to YouTube to the Escape Trailer videos. The orientation videos will give you a fair idea of what is involved owning one of these trailers.

There are also several service videos for those to like to repair things themselves. These are the kind of things you can hire out as others have mentioned. You can judge for yourself your own comfort level for repairs / maintenance.

But the Orientation videos are cover the basic skills one needs to operate the trailer. Similar to operating a car, familiarity comes with time and use.

https://www.youtube.com/c/EscapeTrai...riesLtd/videos

Good Luck!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote