Santa Fe, New Mexico Soon - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19'
Santa Fe, New Mexico Soon

Joe & Tamara Banar from Santa Fe, New Mexico.
We are scheduled to finalize our build sheet in March and take delivery of our Escape 19 in August/September of 2016. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Nissan Frontier Pro4X long bed with a Leer 180 camper shell. The plan is to take delivery and wind our way home through Glacier National Park, Hamilton & Bozeman Montana, Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks, down to Dinosaur National Park, Denver Co and then Santa Fe New Mexico.
It has been 20 years since we hauled a trailer around and are in process of trying to prepare ourselves and the truck for this adventure. Since we both are currently retired we are really looking forward spending time “on the road”.
Does anyone have experience with the “Weight Safe” hitches or “Timbren suspension enhancement systems? Any other words of wisdom are welcome.
Best to All
JCBanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Hi Joe & Tamara,

This info may be useful to you: We tow an Escape 21 with our 2014 Frontier Pro4X short bed. It tows well, handles well, using an Anderson hitch. I added some Helwig helper springs, about $65, to eliminate a 1" sag at the rear.

With the 19's lower overall and tongue weight (depending on how you load it, of course), I don't think you'll need anything more than helper springs -- if even that.

Congratulations on getting your 19! Your Fronty will pull it very nicely.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Hi, Joe and Tamara, Welcome to the club.

Myron
Attached Thumbnails
Heron056.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Hi Joe and Tamara

I used a similar product to the Timbrens on my Tundra to tow a 21' . They act the same way but have 1000lb capacity and are SUMO brand. I believe the Timbrens are stiffer and have a 6000Lb capacity. The round/oval beehive looking spring sits on top of the axel and uses the leaf spring brackets and bolts to attach. It rests 1/2" shy of the frame, So when unloaded I feel no difference in the suspension. When I load the truck and hook up the trailer my back end sags only 1 1/2" and since the unloaded stance is a little high, it all sits level. I could not be happier with the performance. Hope this helps.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #5

Trailer: none
Hi Joe & Tamara!
Welcome! Nice to see another Escape in NM!! You are the 5th one that I know of....we almost have enough for a rally!
We have a Frontier Pro4X, short bed and use it to tow our 5.0 Classic. We have the Bilstein shocks but also added the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System to keep springs from fully compressing under heavy loads (like the Escape). It's a nice little truck and performs well and we are happy with he Timbren system...although you will have a different amount and kind of load with your 19'.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote