Shopping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita SD
Shopping

Currently a Casita 17' SD owner. Previously a 16' Casita owner. Due to the poor insulation (or lack of) in the Casita I'm contemplating an Escape.
Please advise on the insulation of the Escape. I note that it has 3/8" of foam overhead. What does it have on the sides & bottom.
I heat with a combination of a Wave 3 & the furnace set to the low 60's. I'm a light sleeper, and the furnace is just plain to noisy. With hook ups, I use a 1500 watt (5000 btu) heater which works well.
Thanks,
LKG907
lkg907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome to the site. You are looking at a great product with Escape Trailers.

The vinyl covered insulation is 3/8" thick covering the ceiling and the walls. You can get another layer of insulation installed as an option, something that most folks do, as it helps in both hot and cold climates.

There is no insulation in the floor, unless you opt for the sprayed on insulation underneath. I added 5/8" of cork for insulation and warmth on the tootsies.

The furnace is not real quiet, that is for sure. I too am a light sleeper, but has sorta gotten used to it. We set ours at 8-9°C at night. We too use a small 120V cube heater on the rare occasion we are connected to the grid, and find it way quieter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but want to add my opinion. There is only so much that can be done to single wall fiberglass trailers. Casita, Scamp and Escape have all taken a similar approach which is to glue something to the wall to insulate it. You are already familiar with your Casita, which insulates (carpets) the entire shell before adding anything. Escape is similar but only insulates down to seat areas etc UNLESS you order the added insulation and then Reflectix is added in lower seat areas, etc. Escape also has to cut the insulation around the mounting boards inside which sometimes leaves gaps, e.g. in the overhead cupboards. Scamp and Casita rivet through the insulation to mount inside items. I also found that the outside wall below my fridge has neither Reflectix nor the vinyl foam, so there are areas which remain uninsulated. If insulation is the ONLY reason you are considering an Escape it is simply going to be easier to turn the heater up when it gets cold in your Casita because that is what we do in our Escape. If, on the other hand, you want custom features, a more aesthetic interior, more room, then definitely look at the Escape. A much better insulated fiberglass trailer is the Bigfoot which is a double wall product also made in B.C. BUT you will pay $14,000 more for a comparably equipped trailer. I can buy a lot of propane for $14K! Just my thoughts.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Another aspect of Escape's insulation is the thermopane window option, which I recommend for insulation and noise reduction. My trailer does not have insulation around the bathroom module insert. If I were ordering a trailer I would ask about adding it if it is not standard these days.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I noticed last week in New Hampshire that the Escape furnace fan is WAY quieter than the one in our 2006 FD.

Dick
Old 11-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
lkg907, we had some Escape owners who had owned a Casita tell us that there was a big difference between the two and that the Casita was not insulated as far as they were concerned. They thought the Escape was much better on that score. They had the Escape insulation with thermal windows.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote