Solar 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 01:52 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
What great information on the electrical system options. We opted for a generator rather than a solar panel because we needed it to charge our boat's battery PLUS in heavily wooded campsites and in cloudy weather we doubt there would be sufficient light to adequately charge our batteries solely on solar north of the US border. If we hadn't been trying to save on our build sheet we might have gotten the solar anyway for when it would be helpful.

Bob K

PS We just experienced a minor earthquake as I was typing this.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post

Oh, I gotta go and tell my wife. She said she felt one last night, I thought she imagined it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Oh, I gotta go and tell my wife. She said she felt one last night, I thought she imagined it.

Ron
Yup, that's big enough to notice.
M4.8 - 19km NNE of Victoria, Canada
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
I too am in North Van and was watching the news when it happened. Caused me to start. I didn't know what it was until they broke into the newscast. I felt no shaking, saw nothing move, but there was a noise like a gust of wind rattling a tarp.
I think it depends if you are sitting on rock or in a silt basin.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Since we're talking about the earthquake, here's the Canadian equivalent to the USGS link:
Earthquake Report (2015-12-29)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Here is a link to a good article regarding potential large earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest. The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker. It appears to be fairly well researched and raises some really good points to ponder. I personally would think twice about picking a retirement home in an area at risk of major quakes.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Solar when on shaded camping sites

Quote:
What great information on the electrical system options. We opted for a generator rather than a solar panel because we needed it to charge our boat's battery PLUS in heavily wooded campsites and in cloudy weather we doubt there would be sufficient light to adequately charge our batteries solely on solar north of the US border. If we hadn't been trying to save on our build sheet we might have gotten the solar anyway for when it would be helpful.

Bob K

So far we haven't had solar problems when on shaded sites. We monitor the solar panel and watch our usage when on shaded sites. I suppose it depends on your electrical power needs.

For example our Escape is stored on our driveway and over winter gets sunlight about 1/2 the day. The solar panel always shows 100 percent. During a recent 24 hour plus power outage, we used a small portable inverter in the trailer to grind coffee beans and the trailer's kitchen to perk coffee. It's nice having the trailer and solar system around when we think of power outages/earthquakes.

In my opinion I wouldn't stay away from going with solar out of concern for too many shaded camping sites unless we had heavy electrical needs.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
We passed on the solar but did get solar ready. Our thought was if needed we will use a generator to top off the battery when boondocking. A lot of our camping will be in the Michigan woods so questioned if solar would be helpful then.

We are new to camping, 16 nights on the way home being our only experience, already I am wishing we had the solar option. No power for about 7 of the days on the trip back (not all consecutive) and we were constantly checking the battery level, no generator on this trip.

We will camp in Florida in February for 12 days and then move to an electric site. Will take the generator but having the quiet sun recharge our battery would be much nicer. After this trip we will know how much of a bother the generator is.

Maybe solar is in our future, we will see.

Caren
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #29

Trailer: Casita
Portable Solar Panel Hatch

What do you think of having ETI put in the solar panel hatch for a portable solar panel? Our thinking is that we can just plug in a portable panel when we need the batteries to be charged instead of using a generator. Would that work?

The only things we would probably use the inverter for would be the microwave and coffee pot, but if we only get one outlet wired for the inverter, we can't figure out how we would use it for both items when the microwave is built in. What have you guys done in the 19?
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
What do you think of having ETI put in the solar panel hatch for a portable solar panel? Our thinking is that we can just plug in a portable panel when we need the batteries to be charged instead of using a generator. Would that work?
Trav - we have been discussing the best type of receptacle to have Reace wire in. I'll look for the thread for you...

Here it is: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...hers-6908.html

I plan to ask Reace to wire it in for us as I already own an external panel and will use it to supplement the roof mount.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar