Soon-to-be-owner of new 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Soon-to-be-owner of new 17B

Ok, kids - here we go!
I have my order in for a 17B, picking it up at the end of October. Inaugural trip will be driving it home to New Hampshire!
Will be pulling it with 2011 Tundra, already rigged to pull my 2-horse trailer.
First time ever owning/pulling/using a camper trailer. Lots to learn
Will stay near Chilliwack a couple of nights (US side), camping with buddy Bobbie (from Whidbey Island WA) and her 15A.
Open to notions, ideas, suggestions, about the cross-country trip, including easy-access/safe places to stay along the way. This first trip will be mostly "utilitarian", just gettin' home so I can get back to work.
Thanks, to all of you - I am very excited to be truly joining your "club" --
Old 08-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 19'
Trip Planning

Welcome. You have much to look forward to.

We just did that trip last March to pick up ours. Our favorite way west is across the Upper Peninsula between the Great Lakes then out Rt 2 just below the border. Its a local road but speed limit is 65 except for one block in each town. We stay at national parks. Two good ones are Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan, Roosevelt in ND and Glacier in Montana. Next choice are State Parks then private camp grounds. Either going out or coming back I would go up to Calgary then out the Canadian Highway through Banff and Lake Louise which both have gorgeous National Parks.

A good side trip is to Vancouver and up to Whistler, beautiful drive. There is a private camp ground, Capilano River RV Park, just outside of Vancouver which works out real nice.

Happy Travels
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee08802 View Post
Our favorite way west is across the Upper Peninsula between the Great Lakes then out Rt 2 just below the border. Its a local road but speed limit is 65 except for one block in each town. We stay at national parks. Two good ones are Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan, Roosevelt in ND and Glacier in Montana. Next choice are State Parks then private camp grounds. Either going out or coming back I would go up to Calgary then out the Canadian Highway through Banff and Lake Louise which both have gorgeous National Parks.
Thanks! Great ideas for future trips - love all those out-west opportunities and vistas.
This trip, just have 2 weeks to get out and back, so taking classic I-90 route, aiming to do Chicago/other urban areas during non-traffic hours...
Old 08-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee08802 View Post
There is a private camp ground, Capilano River RV Park, just outside of Vancouver which works out real nice.

Happy Travels

It's not just outside of Vancouver. It's about as close as you can get to downtown Vancouver.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.45.23 PM.jpg  
Old 08-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #5

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post
Ok, kids - here we go!
I have my order in for a 17B, picking it up at the end of October. Inaugural trip will be driving it home to New Hampshire!
The orientation date for my 17B is October 17th, so that's going to be an exciting month for both of us. You're indeed fortunate to have a friend in the area who has a 17A and can acclimate you to everything on your very first day! I don't personally know anyone who has an Escape but have gotten great advice from many on this forum who have generously shared their expertise, and I've been taking notes about everything I can - sometimes going to postings three or four years back. Lots of collective knowledge upon which to draw.

I'll be heading back to Texas (my home state as of June) via Los Angeles, but perhaps I'll see you out and about one day.

Best wishes and safe travels!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #6

BTW, sure hope I wasn't too "forward", addressing all and sundry as 'kids' in my initial message here - everyone here has made me feel like a part of the family, and I jumped in being more casual than was, perhaps, quite seemly. After all, you do not know me one whit...

I love this forum, and have such respect for all who have shared their ideas, experiences and vast depth of "tips" here. I've learned so much from you, in the last 2 years. Thank you, all!
Old 08-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
...just don't call us late for dinner.....
Old 08-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

Have a question about tire rims - I'm thinking about getting aluminum ones (adding to build sheet). ETI charges $150 CDN apiece - seems a bit pricey. Is it?
And, even if not - would it be hard to get replacement ones closer to home (which is NH), after the fact? Thank you!
Old 08-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Have a question about tire rims - I'm thinking about getting aluminum ones (adding to build sheet). ETI charges $150 CDN apiece - seems a bit pricey. Is it?
And, even if not - would it be hard to get replacement ones closer to home (which is NH), after the fact? Thank you!
No, order the wheels. By the time you get the wheels somewhere else and pay to have them installed. Also the shiny wheels do so much for the appearance of the trailer it's almost criminal not to get them
Old 08-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Whichever wheel you get, I’d recommend getting a 1/2 drive torque wrench, 6 inch extension and 13/16 socket to check the lug nuts after the first day towing and agin in another couple days. I like 95’ft lbs. a cheap but adequate wrench can be purchased at harbor freight for $20 or less or perhaps you can borrow one and buy your own later. If the weather goes to Hell, you can drop down to I 80 along the way and go east from there. Chicago is usually not that bad from 10 am to 2 pm weekdays and on Sunday till later in the day. The Indiana turnpike is a toll road that’s worth the money instead of I90 across Michigan. Fewer trucks and better road. US 20 across north central Iowa is almost all 4 Lane and a lot less busy than I90 across Minnesota or I80 across Iowa.
Just my $.02.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Whichever wheel you get, I’d recommend getting a 1/2 drive torque wrench, 6 inch extension and 13/16 socket to check the lug nuts after the first day towing and agin in another couple days. I like 95’ft lbs. a cheap but adequate wrench can be purchased at harbor freight for $20 or less or perhaps you can borrow one and buy your own later. If the weather goes to Hell, you can drop down to I 80 along the way and go east from there. Chicago is usually not that bad from 10 am to 2 pm weekdays and on Sunday till later in the day. The Indiana turnpike is a toll road that’s worth the money instead of I90 across Michigan. Fewer trucks and better road. US 20 across north central Iowa is almost all 4 Lane and a lot less busy than I90 across Minnesota or I80 across Iowa.
Just my $.02.
Iowa Dave
I go along with that. The first time I re-torqued they were below torque. Now after the first re-torque only a few were not at the required torque setting and then after that all were good. Also, those folks with the 5.0 and the Andersen hitch a torque wrench is an essential tool.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
No, order the wheels. By the time you get the wheels somewhere else and pay to have them installed. Also the shiny wheels do so much for the appearance of the trailer it's almost criminal not to get them
Good to know, thanks - slanting toward shiny new rims, now. Heck, what's another few hundred bucks, right?!
Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Just my $.02.
Iowa Dave
Way more than $.02 - your suggestions are worth gold, thank you!
Re torque wrench/sockets - will definitely buy, small price to pay for the insurance they offer. I just needed one of you "in-the-know" folks to tell me which sizes, and I'm there.
Re route - great ideas. Have been thinking I might need to drift south on the way east, if winter starts early. And since I haven't done x-c trip since the 70's, it really helps to have these details. Load 'em on, as they come to mind!
Old 08-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #14

Way back when I was changing bases from Boston and moving a car back to Montana. Looking at the map I thought why not the Trans Canada. Probably drove past you on the way to the border. Very nice trip. Camped out one night in the back of the Cherokee in a Tim Hortons parking lot. I hopped back over the border into western North Dakota but if you were to continue and then from Calgary head over to Banff that would be worth a trip by itself. Then from Banff through the mountains to Chilliwack. Go back home through Montana and South Dakota then what ever else suits your fancy.
Got a daughter and her family up in Hooksett so the first and only 5.0TA in South Carolina will be headed up to your part of the country in the next year.
Shiny wheels were the first item on the build sheet. A person must have their priorities in the proper order
Old 08-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you don't have an Ez-pass you should get one if you go on Toll roads in Pa, Oh, Ill, NY, Indiana and the northeast. It even works in part of Florida. It will pay for itself quickly as you get a discount and don't have to stop and pay tolls.
Doug King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Way back when I was changing bases from Boston and moving a car back to Montana. Looking at the map I thought why not the Trans Canada. Probably drove past you on the way to the border. Very nice trip. Camped out one night in the back of the Cherokee in a Tim Hortons parking lot. I hopped back over the border into western North Dakota but if you were to continue and then from Calgary head over to Banff that would be worth a trip by itself. Then from Banff through the mountains to Chilliwack. Go back home through Montana and South Dakota then what ever else suits your fancy.
Thinking I'll go west via that same route, but given the time of year, inclined to stay in USA/south for return trip with trailer. Nice ideas for future trips, though. I'm becoming such an Escape fan, might have to schedule in a long trip around the meet-up near Chilliwack, seems to be an annual affair that would be really fun to attend.

Quote:
Got a daughter and her family up in Hooksett so the first and only 5.0TA in South Carolina will be headed up to your part of the country in the next year.
Sure hope that if you're ever "in the neighborhood", you'll let me know - would love to have you park your rig in my yard for a spell, and check out local sights

Quote:
Shiny wheels were the first item on the build sheet. A person must have their priorities in the proper order
Sheesh, you are NOT helping me contain my costs, here. And I fear I am convinced. Vanity be darned, shiny wheels it will be.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug King View Post
If you don't have an Ez-pass you should get one if you go on Toll roads in Pa, Oh, Ill, NY, Indiana and the northeast. It even works in part of Florida. It will pay for itself quickly as you get a discount and don't have to stop and pay tolls.
You are absolutely right. And when I first saw your message, thought "already done!". THEN, remembered that my EZ pass is only for my Suburu Forester, not my Tundra. Oops. Point well taken, I have an added "to-do" item for tomorrow. Thank you!!!
Old 08-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
If I had it to do over I'd probably get aftermarket rims. While I do not think ETI's are expensive and they are certainly good looking, mine are suffering from filiform corrosion around the hub. It may well be just a New England thing, which is why I mention it. Took roughly 2 years to show up, can't tell you if it is still an issue with new rims.

I can't see why it would be an issue getting new ones, I'd order them online and have them shipped home. Then find a local tire shop to swap the tires to the new rims. I think that would work even in NH.

Ni idea what after market rims would cost, I would expect more then what I paid for the ETI supplied ones.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
For $105 US ea, you can get Sendel rims with free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/SENDEL-ALUMIN.../dp/B01ECMGHU8
Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If I had it to do over I'd probably get aftermarket rims. While I do not think ETI's are expensive and they are certainly good looking, mine are suffering from filiform corrosion around the hub. It may well be just a New England thing, which is why I mention it. Took roughly 2 years to show up, can't tell you if it is still an issue with new rims. .
Good to know. Certainly have had issues with aluminum rims here in New England, when on vehicles that are used in winter/salt. This trailer is not to ever see such a substance, except on the dinette table, if I can possibly help it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'd order them online and have them shipped home. Then find a local tire shop to swap the tires to the new rims. I think that would work.
Have decided that vanity wins out - I DO want shiny wheels! The aftermarket option still sounds attractive to me - ETI pricetag still seems a bit high, given that they (presumably) aren't charging for mounting/balancing, Though who knows, maybe they are, hence the cost