Tailgate Clearance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 2020 NE
Send a message via MSN to mmcknz66@gmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to mmcknz66@gmail.com
Tailgate Clearance

New to the Escape Trailer, taking delivery of our 21 NE next May. We will be towing with an Land Rover LR 4 and wondered if anyone knew if the LR tailgate would clear the trailer jack when open. I opted to not have the power jack as it looked to be a definite clearance problem.
mmcknz66@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Have no idea how far out your tailgate sticks out when open, but there was just a similar thread a couple days ago. I know that having a weight distribution hitch not only helps with weight distribution but it gives you more clearance for a tailgate. On our 2016 Escape 19 our Tacoma tailgate clears when the handle is in the right position. I have the Pro Series hitch that Escape sells and installs. It’s great.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is this which removes the jack while hooked and the clearance issue is resolved...https://jack-e-up.com
I have used one in the past with success....
Old 02-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 2020 NE
Send a message via MSN to mmcknz66@gmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to mmcknz66@gmail.com
The weight reduction hitch isn't recommended with the LR suspension. It looks to me like its going to be very close. Reckon, time will tell. We travel with our two Bernese Mountain dogs that load with a ramp on the tailgate. If I can't open the gate fully, will have to convince them to go in the side door which should be fun.
mmcknz66@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 2017 19
Tailgate clearance

After the first dent in my tailgate, I purchased an extended tow bar. Now the tailgate opens fully and I have not noticed any change in the way it tows. The extended tow bar also allows tighter turns without damage.
dkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirk View Post
After the first dent in my tailgate, I purchased an extended tow bar. Now the tailgate opens fully and I have not noticed any change in the way it tows. The extended tow bar also allows tighter turns without damage.
But it also decreases your hitch capacity.....
Old 02-06-2020, 07:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirk View Post
I did the same thing, very happy with this solution. I had no problem with weight capacity.
Nice to be able to open the back of the tow vehicle when stopped to buy groceries, fuel etc. Some one night stands we left the truck attached, like to use the tailgate to BBQ etc.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4033.jpg   IMG_4034.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But it also decreases your hitch capacity.....
While that is the case for hitch extenders it doesn’t appear to apply to extended ball mounts. They are used up to their rated capacity with no derate of the receiver. For example the Hidden Hitch 80232 part that Bob shows is rated at 6000# gross towing weight and 600# tongue weight. Keep every piece of your towing hardware rated higher than your load and you are fine.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:03 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Yes moving the ball further from the rear axle decreases the max allowed ball weight. If the vehicle ratings are high enough and trailer is light enough this isn't an issue.
The extended hitch could be cut down and redrilled to shorten it so it's no longer than required. As you can see from the picture it's a couple of inches longer than I really need it to be. For others they might be able to cut it back even further.
In my case I have a light trailer and a full sized pickup truck so it isn't an issue. If you only need to extend the ball an inch or two not a problem unless the vehicle is right at the max ratings.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #10

I believe the impact is on the receiver, not the stinger. If you place a longer stinger it creates more stress on the receiver for which it was developed.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Thumbs up for jack-e-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is this which removes the jack while hooked and the clearance issue is resolved...https://jack-e-up.com
I have used one in the past with success....
We successfully used the jack-e-up on our 19' Escape, and currently use it on our 15'. On the 19', we used the jack-e-up with an electric jack that we plugged into an Anderson connector with power from the battery. The 15' Escape is so lightweight that we now only use a manual jack. We towed with a Toyota Tacoma and a Toyota Tundra and dents in the tailgate were possible without the jack-e-up.

The jack-e-up is a durable product, simple and effective in its design. I recommend it.
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 Eriba Triton
I used the Jack-E-Up on my 17' Escape because the tailgate on my Land Rover Discovery 5 wouldn't clear the electric jack motor. I also turned it so the motor sat sideways instead of facing forward to give me a little more clearance. I also found that with the self leveling air suspension on the Discovery I didn't need a weight distribution hitch - and as stated above the manufacturer didn't recommend it.
JackW is offline   Reply With Quote