Tar heel new to forum - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
Smile Tar heel new to forum

Greetings to all from central North Carolina,

New to the forum and excited to find all of this valuable information. My wife and I looked extensively at Airstreams and almost pulled the trigger on a 23'. Was concerned with build quality and honestly the price point. A friend told us about Bigfoot, Casita, and Escape and educated us on the pros of fiberglass construction. We have decided that Escape is our first choice and are attempting to find a late model 19' or 21' east of the Mississippi. If anyone has a lead on owners close to us that we could look at their unit that would be great. So far we have only viewed online photos. Or if there are any meets where we could attend and perhaps look at units please let us know.
We are both retired and would like to begin doing some traveling by next spring or earlier depending when we find a trailer to our liking. Any leads to available trailers would be appreciated. IF anyone is thinking of trading up and has a new Escape on order please keep us in mind when you are ready to sell.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Welcome Brad!

I think you're making a very wise choice looking at molded fiberglass instead of the Airstreams. Fine trailers indeed but to my mind far too expensive for what you get. Not to mention the potential for leaks and expensive damage to all that shiny aluminum.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Hi and welcome! In order to find owners close by, you might want to give ETI a call. They can give you info on Escape owners willing to show and tell you all about the different options available.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Old Salt, Oct 6-9th there is a molded fiberglass/teardrop camper gathering at Camp Hatteras in Waves, on the outer banks. They call it Eggshells on the Beach. I don't know how many of which kind of trailer there will be but I understand there should be a good sampling of the different brands of molded fiberglass. We plan to attend with our 19' Escape but won't know for sure until next week as we are waiting on our trailer to be delivered. We are located in Portsmouth, VA. If you need more specifics on the gathering, you can message me but there may also be more info about it on fiberglassrv.com.

Welcome to the group.

John
Old 09-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
Old Salt, Oct 6-9th there is a molded fiberglass/teardrop camper gathering at Camp Hatteras in Waves, on the outer banks. They call it Eggshells on the Beach.

John
This one? http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...17-a-9131.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Hi Donna, yeah that's the one. Thanks for posting the link. John
Old 09-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome to the site and the world of Escape trailers.

What is "Tar heel" you refer to in the topic? I am a bit lost on that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What is "Tar heel" you refer to in the topic? I am a bit lost on that.
Welcome!

For those who have not been lucky enough to know some Tar Heels...
"Tar Heel is a nickname applied to the U.S. state of North Carolina and its inhabitants. It is also the nickname of the University of North Carolina athletic teams, students, alumni, and fans."
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
Welcome!

For those who have not been lucky enough to know some Tar Heels...
"Tar Heel is a nickname applied to the U.S. state of North Carolina and its inhabitants. It is also the nickname of the University of North Carolina athletic teams, students, alumni, and fans."
Lookit that, early in the day and I just learned something. It kinda sounds derogatory but imagine it can be worn with pride.

I assume this is kinda like Hokie and Hawkeye then?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Lookit that, early in the day and I just learned something. It kinda sounds derogatory but imagine it can be worn with pride.

I assume this is kinda like Hokie and Hawkeye then?
Yes, quite similar. It used to be somewhat derogatory but has evolved into a term used with great pride. Various versions of potential history of the term are below from Wikipedia and University of North Carolina's websites.

Eric

UNC:
Our nickname, which also applies to North Carolina citizens, has at least two possible origins. One story hails back to the Revolutionary War and the troops of British General Cornwallis. After fording a river in eastern North Carolina, the British troops discovered their feet covered with tar, a product of North Carolina’s abundant pine trees and one of the state’s most important exports at the time. Some say the clever North Carolinians dumped it in the river to slow down the invading army. The British were said to have observed that if you waded in North Carolina rivers, you would get tar on your heels.
Another story comes from the Civil War. A group of North Carolina soldiers scolded their comrades for leaving the battlefield when things got tough. The soldiers threatened to stick tar on the heels of the retreating soldiers to help them stay in the battle. General Robert E. Lee is said to have commented “God bless the Tar Heel boys!” Whatever the reason for the moniker, our students and sports teams have long worn it with pride.

Wikipedia:
In its early years as a colony, North Carolina settlements became an important source of the naval stores tar, pitch, and turpentine, especially for the British navy. Tar and pitch were largely used to paint the bottom of wooden British ships both to seal the ship and to prevent shipworms from damaging the hull.[4] At one time, an estimated 100,000 barrels (16,000 m3) of tar and pitch were shipped annually to England.[1] After 1824, North Carolina became the leader in the United States for naval stores.[5] By the Civil War, North Carolina had more than 1600 turpentine distilleries, and two thirds of all turpentine in the United States came from North Carolina and one-half from the counties of Bladen and New Hanover.[5]
Historians Hugh Lefler and Albert Newsome claim in North Carolina: the History of a Southern State (3rd edition, 1973) that North Carolina led the world in production of naval stores from about 1720 to 1870.[6]
At the time, tar was created by piling up pine logs and burning them until hot oil seeped out from a spout. The vast production of tar from North Carolina led many, including Walt Whitman, to give the derisive nickname of "Tarboilers" to the residents of North Carolina.[1] North Carolina was nicknamed the "Tar and Turpentine State" because of this industry.[1]
Somehow, these terms evolved until the nickname Tar Heel was used to refer to residents of North Carolina and gained prominence during the American Civil War. During this time, the nickname Tar Heel was a pejorative, but starting around 1865, the term began to be used as a source of pride.[1]
In 1893, the students of the University of North Carolina founded a newspaper and christened it The Tar Heel, which was later renamed The Daily Tar Heel.[1] By the early 1900s the term was embraced by many as a non-derisive term for North Carolinians by those from inside and outside the state of North Carolina.[1]
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
Great explanation ericw. I am a native of N.C. and proud to be one. Thanks for all of the replies, information and greetings.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Welcome. Come visit us at the Upper Mississippi Rally and IowaDave can probably give you a dissertation on which species of pine produces the best tar...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #13

Trailer: None now
I don't know how many Escapes will be there but there is also the King of the Wild Frontier rally in David Crockett birthplace state campground. October 11th to 15th.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...lly-10505.html
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Barrelhouse Boogie Woogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Welcome. Come visit us at the Upper Mississippi Rally and IowaDave can probably give you a dissertation on which species of pine produces the best tar...
And that will morph into the origins of boogie woogie piano in the turpentine camps of Louisiana and then to my fascination with the annual boogie woogie show at the Englert theatre in Iowa City Iowa and then, well you get the idea. I have sold pine tar for baseball players and also rosin bags but I digress. Wood tTech 380 at Iowa State, also Silvics
Dave