Thinking about a 19 foot - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19'
We owned a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe between 2007 and 2012 (when a move to Virginia put an end to trailer camping). During the entire time that we owned it, I struggled with the tiny cooking area. We added a cover for the cooktop, considered adding a removable counter top to sit over the aft dinette seat and a fold-up shelf beside the cooktop (we didn't do it). It was a constant pinprick of irritation. I also wanted a forward view, impossible with the Casita's front bathroom. And lastly, we were cramped in the 54" double bed.

When we moved back to the west coast and were ready for another trailer, we chose the Escape 19' because of its larger kitchen counter space, an built-in extension to the counter (thus room to cook without having to move things from one spot to another and back again), a forward dinette with views to both the front and the sides, a 60' full queen bed, and the host of options that include solar and extra insulation.

The trade off was not a completely easy one. We could pull the Casita with our Toyota 4Runner and not notice it was there. To pull the Escape 19', we bought a Toyota Tundra (not the there is all that much difference in gas mileage --- our 4Runner was a 1997, and almost 20 years old when we sold it). And the Escape, while lovely, doesn't have the "awe, its so cute" quality that the Casita has. People are interested in the Escape, but they used to coo over the Casita.

I agree with the comments made by other posters about the quality of the Casita product. It is of good but not exceptional quality and the price does not inlude fine detail finishing nor the highest end components. It was, and is, an excellent lower-cost trailer that will last a lifetime and maintain a good resale value. It is not designed for a consumer willing to pay the higher prices commanded by Airstreams and Escapes.

Bottom line: Escapes weigh more, cost more to buy and tow, but offer higher quality, more room, and more customization options.

Good luck! Whichever you buy, after due consideration, you'll be getting a good product.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
I believe I read somewhere in the forum that because of the layout/design of the 19, it is more prone to swaying while towing and requires a WDH with sway bars (have to take them off to back up), while the 21 for us only required a WDH with our full size pickup, but this would likely vary depending on your tow vehicle.
Didn't see that, but it would be the first I've heard of it. The 19 is highly stable when towing and not susceptible to sway any more than the other models. We tow with an F150, and no sway bars or any other anti-sway device has ever been needed.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtTrek View Post
What do you tow with?
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. (The Classic is a little less weight then the 2nd Gen)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We also graduated from a 17' Casita to the 19' Escape. Two feet longer but living space feels twice the size. I can't say it's any better quality wise tho.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #25

We pull ours with a current V6 Tacoma - you should have no problems pulling a 19 with your truck.

19 Escape/Tacoma
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #26

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Solar power under trees

Quote:
Thanks! I'm thinking about the solar options, but we usually camp where there isn't great access to the sun... The idea of not having to change the bed/dinette twice a day is a VERY nice thought!!!
We too camp in Oregon, much of the time under a tree canopy, but just a few hours of sunlight through the leaves each day on the solar panel is enough to recharge our batteries. We’ve never used campsite power and can often save a few bucks by staying at non-hookup sites.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:43 AM   #27
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Didn't see that, but it would be the first I've heard of it. The 19 is highly stable when towing and not susceptible to sway any more than the other models. We tow with an F150, and no sway bars or any other anti-sway device has ever been needed.
I'm not sure if it's possible to link a post, but this was where I saw the information- see picture below. I'm sure it's not an issue at all, just possibly an additional financial expense to get a WDH with sway control, but again, it depends on various tow vehicles, conditions and owner preference.
Attached Thumbnails
image.png  
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:15 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I'm not sure if it's possible to link a post, but this was where I saw the information- see picture below. I'm sure it's not an issue at all, just possibly an additional financial expense to get a WDH with sway control, but again, it depends on various tow vehicles, conditions and owner preference.
I certainly wouldn't agree with that. I've towed my 19 with my small Ranger far and wide under a huge range of conditions and never once has sway ever been an issue. I have a basic Pro Series WDH.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sometimes things are lost in translation, "he said, she said" scenario....
Old 08-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sometimes things are lost in translation, "he said, she said" scenario....
Exactly. Another element here is that sway control and weight distribution are not the same thing. In any case, I know of no 19 owner with a sway issue, with or without a WDH.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #31

Trailer: 2012 E19
In terms of dry weight, the 19' has a lower percentage of weight on the tongue... less than 10%. This could contribute to sway. But in real world use, I would surmise that a loaded-for-camping 19' (especially if it has a storage box full of heavy stuff) would have sufficient hitch weight to be stable.

Getting into the length of the 21' would make me want sway control if I were towing with a short wheelbase vehicle, though. I once had a 23'8" stickie towed with a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer (111" WB) and it felt very squirrelly despite 12%-13% hitch weight, but adding an Equal-i-zer made a world of difference.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #32
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Sorry to the author of this post and everyone- it wasn't my intention to send this thread off topic or insult the 19. I think anything made by Escape is a pretty good choice, as is evidenced by all of the happy campers in this forum.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry to the author of this post and everyone- it wasn't my intention to send this thread off topic or insult the 19. I think anything made by Escape is a pretty good choice, as is evidenced by all of the happy campers in this forum.
Nothing to apologize for. Part of this forum's purpose is to debate the merits of a point, provided it's done in a friendly way. I saw nothing disparaging in your posts at all.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I almost exclusively tow the 19 with my Tundra, with no WDH, but have also towed with my Tacoma. Have not experienced trailer sway with either vehicle. That said, if I was towing with the Tacoma routinely, I would use a WDH.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
In terms of dry weight, the 19' has a lower percentage of weight on the tongue... less than 10%. This could contribute to sway. But in real world use, I would surmise that a loaded-for-camping 19' (especially if it has a storage box full of heavy stuff) would have sufficient hitch weight to be stable.
Another factor in the tongue weight fraction of a loaded-for-camping 19' is that many of them are purchased with the dual 6V battery option. Since the batteries are on the tongue (unlike every other Escape model), that option will increase the tongue weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #36

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Just got back from a month camping, including a foggy 5 days at Cape Lookout State Park on the Oregon coast. Never saw the sun, but our solar kept our batteries at 12.7 or higher. We were also camping under trees.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:21 AM   #37

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Just got back from a month camping, including a foggy 5 days at Cape Lookout State Park on the Oregon coast. Never saw the sun, but our solar kept our batteries at 12.7 or higher. We were also camping under trees.
Do you have one or two 170 watt panels?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 08-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #38

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
We have one solar panel.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19', 2009 Casita 17'
Quote:
Thanks! I'm thinking about the solar options, but we usually camp where there isn't great access to the sun... The idea of not having to change the bed/dinette twice a day is a VERY nice thought!!!
We went with the 19 in 2015, but, after seeing the 21s when I went up to get some repair work last summer, I really wish we had gone with the 21. The slightly larger space, and the no-crawl-over bed really appealed to me. (The bed is pretty much the same size as the one in our Casita)

At the time we ordered, we were going from a Casita 17 too, and for whatever reason the 21 looked bigger than we wanted. Next time, but all that said, we are very happy with our 19. It's rock solid, spacious, and tows like a dream (Toyota FJ).

On other options, we went with the solar and high-lift axle, with of which we are very happy with. We camp all throughout Oregon too, and, even in a wooded area (like Waldo Lake, one of our favorite places, and sort of over in your neck of the woods), we've been able to charge the batteries ok. In fact, where we had to regularly run the generator on our (non-solar) Casita, I have never fired up the generator in the whole year and a half we've had the Escape.

The high-lift lets us get to pretty amazing places, like the Alvord Desert and Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge.

Hope this helps.

Rick
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19', 2009 Casita 17'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Do you have one or two 170 watt panels?

Thanks,

Perry
We have one panel as well, and have had similar experiences on the summer Oregon Coast.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19 foot, prospective buyer